GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are you drinking?

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
I dabble in bourbon/whiskey/scotch, but I am new to the world. Tequila (and mezcal/bacanora/sotol) is my true love, though. I probably have over 50 bottles and I even age my own in small barrels.

I'm a tequila as well. What are some of your regular go-tos? Do you do blancos, reps, anejos, or all expressions? Mess with any of tequila's cousins- sotol, mezcal, etc.

Geez, you know a lot about Tequila! I always wanted to try mezcal, but keep forgetting it when in the liquor store, and end up buying tequila. Do you know a good brand of mezcal sold in the US?

I'm not the connoisseur you are, so I drink the "regular" (and cheaper) stuff, like Cuervo and Margaritaville. There was one time that I bought a bottle of Cabo Wabo, in the cool bluish bottle. You would know about it. The musician Sammy Hagar was one of the founders, but I think he has since sold all, or most of his interests in that company. I thought the Cabo was better than the regular stuff. I didn't find it vastly better, or enough to justify 3x the price!

What are some brands of your 50 bottles? Which brands do you age?

XoneDB4

Ready to race!
Geez, you know a lot about Tequila! I always wanted to try mezcal, but keep forgetting it when in the liquor store, and end up buying tequila. Do you know a good brand of mezcal sold in the US?

I'm not the connoisseur you are, so I drink the "regular" (and cheaper) stuff, like Cuervo and Margaritaville. There was one time that I bought a bottle of Cabo Wabo, in the cool bluish bottle. You would know about it. The musician Sammy Hagar was one of the founders, but I think he has since sold all, or most of his interests in that company. I thought the Cabo was better than the regular stuff. I didn't find it vastly better, or enough to justify 3x the price!

All tequila is technically Mezcal.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Clase Azul changed my opinion about tequila. I didnt realize tequila could actually taste good! Lots of amazing stuff out there.

Previously thought that tequila was just nasty strong stuff to get you wasted in college. I think Cuervo ruined the reputation of tequila for many decades. Sadly, from what I understand, it used to be good quality stuff way back in they day.

Lots if amazing labels out there. And thought Patron was the good stuff. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
I love mezcal but I guess my palate is not sophisticated enough. They all taste the same to me which super smoky.

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!

There are loads of great mezcal brands that you can find at decent liquor stores. As it is gaining in popularity, it is starting to be more and more common.

Some good brands to look out for are Bozal, Mezcal Vago, Don Amado, Nuestra Soledad, and Xicala. The Xicala is becoming quite common where I live, and at $37, it's great. But different brands have different distribution areas.

As for the tequila, I have loads of brands in my stock. What I drink depends on how I'm drinking it- sipping, mixing, etc-, if I'm having it with food, who is drinking it, what the occasion is, etc.

I have some $100 bottles that needless to say I only drink on occasion, and only sip. I have some cheaper stuff that I use for cocktails. I have stuff in between that are my go-to sippers. I have some that I mostly have for others to sample and dip their toe into the water.

I've got some Olmeca Altos, Maracame, t1, Fortaleza, Cava de Oror, El Set, Charbay, Arte NOM, Dulce Vida, Tapatio, Arette, Herradura, Cuervo, Codigo 1530 just for starters.

I like going to liquor stores and trying to find bottles from brands that are no longer around, or aren't imported to the US any more, and stuff like that. Some bottles I keep, some I turn around and flip.

If you're drinking Cuervo, or even Cabo Wabo, we gotta fix you up, man. If you want solid juice for a reasonable price point, I suggest Olmeca Altos. Most big box grocery stores carry it, and their blanco usually runs $20-23. It's a great deal for that. Smooth and good enough to sip, cheap enough to mix. Tapatio is usually pretty easy to find, and it's only like $32 for a liter. It's some really good stuff.

Cuervo makes some high-end stuff that's good- their Reserva De La Familia line- but their cheap stuff isn't fit for consumption. It's what gives tequila a bad name. And Cabo Wabo was good once up on a time, but not anymore. And Patron is overrated and overpriced and their product is only mediocre.

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!
All tequila is technically Mezcal.

This is true. Tequila is a form of mezcal. Just a very specific kind. Tequila can only be made from blue weber agave in certain states in Mexico.

Mezcal can be made from a variety of different agave types, and not as limited to production location. A lot of it is also made from wild harvested plants. And of course, the production process is a bit different.

Clase Azul changed my opinion about tequila. I didnt realize tequila could actually taste good! Lots of amazing stuff out there.

Previously thought that tequila was just nasty strong stuff to get you wasted in college. I think Cuervo ruined the reputation of tequila for many decades. Sadly, from what I understand, it used to be good quality stuff way back in they day.

Lots if amazing labels out there. And thought Patron was the good stuff. Lol

Clase Azul is a very beginner-friendly product, but among real tequila heads, it's not very well received. It's pretty much unanimously agreed upon that they use additives to manipulate the flavor profile of their tequila to make it smoother and sweeter. I'm personally not a fan. It tastes too 'designed' to me. And it's grossly overpriced.

For far less money, you can buy the very best quality and authentic tequila out there. And the difference in taste is pretty clear.

I love mezcal but I guess my palate is not sophisticated enough. They all taste the same to me which super smoky.

The smokiness of mezcal is definitely a huge factor present in them, but some are more mellow than others. Also, because different varieties of plants can be used, there is a greater spread of notes and flavor profiles from one to the next than there is with tequila, which is more controlled and regulated.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
Cuervo is downright disgusting and the reason I say I don't like tequila. Seeing everything above I think I'll have to try a few.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Clase Azul is a very beginner-friendly product, but among real tequila heads, it's not very well received. It's pretty much unanimously agreed upon that they use additives to manipulate the flavor profile of their tequila to make it smoother and sweeter. I'm personally not a fan. It tastes too 'designed' to me. And it's grossly overpriced.

For far less money, you can buy the very best quality and authentic tequila out there. And the difference in taste is pretty clear.

Cool thanks for the tip. I’ve tried a few of the labels you mentioned earlier. Pretty good stuff. I will have to keep an eye out for the others on your list.

Honestly not the biggest fan of tekillya since my brother and I got into a fist fight after drinking the stuff when we were younger. Although, I really do like mezcal in cocktails.

I feel pretty lucky to be living in a liquor/cocktail renaissance. At least in the bay area there are a lot of boutique liquor stores with lots of interesting offerings and hold regular tastings.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
My affordable DD whiskey (not that I actually drink daily) was Templeton and have switched over to High West.

Templeton is one of my go to's. Either that or Bulleit. I'm not a big drinker but do pride myself on making one of the best old fashioned's ever.

The gf and I split a bottle of red wine with dinner a few nights a week. I'm a wine noob though, don't really know what I like or don't like. I stick to the blends and cross my figners I picked a good one.

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!
Cuervo is downright disgusting and the reason I say I don't like tequila. Seeing everything above I think I'll have to try a few.

If you have Total Wines where you are at, I highly suggest picking up a bottle of Siete Leguas. For about $40, their blanco is top notch. The whole line is good, but their blanco is about as good as they come.

If you like aged stuff, Maracame has a delicious anejo for about $50.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Best tequila I've had: Roca Patron
Best tequila I've had that doesn't cost $80/bottle: Herradura Anejo

FriskyDingo

Ready to race!
Best tequila I've had: Roca Patron
Best tequila I've had that doesn't cost $80/bottle: Herradura Anejo

Roca Patron is solid, but overpriced. It's what the standard line should taste like, honestly.

For the price there's way better options than both them and Herradura.

Obsrvr

Ready to race!
There are loads of great mezcal brands that you can find at decent liquor stores. As it is gaining in popularity, it is starting to be more and more common.

Some good brands to look out for are Bozal, Mezcal Vago, Don Amado, Nuestra Soledad, and Xicala. The Xicala is becoming quite common where I live, and at $37, it's great. But different brands have different distribution areas.

As for the tequila, I have loads of brands in my stock. What I drink depends on how I'm drinking it- sipping, mixing, etc-, if I'm having it with food, who is drinking it, what the occasion is, etc.

I have some $100 bottles that needless to say I only drink on occasion, and only sip. I have some cheaper stuff that I use for cocktails. I have stuff in between that are my go-to sippers. I have some that I mostly have for others to sample and dip their toe into the water.

I've got some Olmeca Altos, Maracame, t1, Fortaleza, Cava de Oror, El Set, Charbay, Arte NOM, Dulce Vida, Tapatio, Arette, Herradura, Cuervo, Codigo 1530 just for starters.

I like going to liquor stores and trying to find bottles from brands that are no longer around, or aren't imported to the US any more, and stuff like that. Some bottles I keep, some I turn around and flip.

If you're drinking Cuervo, or even Cabo Wabo, we gotta fix you up, man. If you want solid juice for a reasonable price point, I suggest Olmeca Altos. Most big box grocery stores carry it, and their blanco usually runs $20-23. It's a great deal for that. Smooth and good enough to sip, cheap enough to mix. Tapatio is usually pretty easy to find, and it's only like $32 for a liter. It's some really good stuff.

Cuervo makes some high-end stuff that's good- their Reserva De La Familia line- but their cheap stuff isn't fit for consumption. It's what gives tequila a bad name. And Cabo Wabo was good once up on a time, but not anymore. And Patron is overrated and overpriced and their product is only mediocre.

Wow, there is an entire world of high-end Tequila out there I didn't know about! OMG, what have I been doing with my life? What?? :D Guess it's time to pay up and see what some of it is about. I will look for Olmeca Altos and Tapatio. Then I gotta try one of your brands of smoky mezcal. If I can tear myself away from Margaritaville :D 'Course, after this I won't be able to drink that again...hey, darn it FriskyDingo, your educational posts are going to cost me money! It's also Dutch's fault for starting this thread! ;)