GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What can I use for datalogging?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I'm getting really frustrated trying to log data and analyze it to try and work out some power inconsistency I'm experiencing on the stock tune. Currently using an OBD II wifi dongle and Car Scanner app for iOS. Seems to pull a lot of data, does coding, etc. but I don't trust it because when I upload to Datazap, the numbers are completely off compared to what the app shows. I just don't know if what I'm reading is accurate.

I was considering OBD11, but I hear the iOS app sucks. If I was able to borrow an Android device, would that be the ideal and most cost effective solution? Anything else?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
The vcds software is free at the rosstech website but you need their cable. It's by far the best option for data logging.
Oh so it has to be installed on a laptop? Unfortunately, the only laptop I have is a work laptop and I can't install random .exe files on it..

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I haven't used it for logging ever since I got an Access Port but I used to log with the Torque Pro app and a $20 generic OBD2 dongle. Has Android and iPhone app.

https://torqueproapk.org/

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I haven't used it for logging ever since I got an Access Port but I used to log with the Torque Pro app and a $20 generic OBD2 dongle. Has Android and iPhone app.

https://torqueproapk.org/
Unfortunately Android only. If I go with Android, I have to buy another OBD adapter. At that point, should I just do OBD11, or is that not recommend for logging

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thanks I'll give it a shot.
Please let me know if it works for you. It's been so long since I used mine since I got my GTI. Used on a Veloster Turbo and when I got the GTI switched to Cobb in 2 weeks and haven't used Torque Pro since then except as a code reader because it's faster to connect the Torque Pro app with Bluetooth than it is to connect the Access Port to read codes.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Please let me know if it works for you. It's been so long since I used mine since I got my GTI. Used on a Veloster Turbo and when I got the GTI switched to Cobb in 2 weeks and haven't used Torque Pro since then except as a code reader because it's faster to connect the Torque Pro app with Bluetooth than it is to connect the Access Port to read codes.
Will do. Just pulled some logs via Auto Doctor. Decently usable, but not great resolution. Your app is next on my list to try.

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT