What can I use for datalogging?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I've had no issue logging with my OBDEleven and Galaxy. My how-to:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I'm going to try some additional iOS apps before I get a new dongle and try the Android route.

Pulled some logs last night via Auto Doctor. Decently usable, but not great resolution. That's what frustrates me about the Car Scanner app -- it has basically every single sensor, VW coding, and a great data capture rate, but trying to view the logs outside of the app is just impossible. Going to try the OBD 2 app and OBD Fusion next.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the suggestions, folks. I'm going to try some additional iOS apps before I get a new dongle and try the Android route.

Pulled some logs last night via Auto Doctor. Decently usable, but not great resolution. That's what frustrates me about the Car Scanner app -- it has basically every single sensor, VW coding, and a great data capture rate, but trying to view the logs outside of the app is just impossible. Going to try the OBD 2 app and OBD Fusion next.
I've also logged with Torque Pro app and a $10 Amazon Bluetooth dongle. The key with these other apps is being able to retrieve the raw data as a .csv and doing some work in Excel to clean it up then uploading to datazap. Also understanding what channel are important - so much of the info is not necessary.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I've also logged with Torque Pro app and a $10 Amazon Bluetooth dongle. The key with these other apps is being able to retrieve the raw data as a .csv and doing some work in Excel to clean it up then uploading to datazap. Also understanding what channel are important - so much of the info is not necessary.
Yeah, I can get the Car Scanner logs to work if I don't log too many sensors. I can easily shift a few rows and delete empty rows. But if I log too much stuff, it's impossible to clean up.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Alright, both OBD Fusion and OBD 2 were a big fail. OBD 2 didn't even have a way to record and export logs, and OBD Fusion data resolution was like every half second at best. Sigh. Might just have to try and do this via Android and/or OBD11.

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
LMAO tried an OBD11 today. Literally zero datalogging on iOS, and datalogs on Android were worse resolution than the other iPhone apps I tried. What a joke. I guess the Simos thing is the only reasonable route to take.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
LMAO tried an OBD11 today. Literally zero datalogging on iOS, and datalogs on Android were worse resolution than the other iPhone apps I tried. What a joke. I guess the Simos thing is the only reasonable route to take.
Who did you decide to go with for tuning?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
It's good enough to get a look for me but pretty coarse.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
It's good enough to get a look for me but pretty coarse.
For a few parameters, it's fine, as are most iOS apps. But as soon as you start looking at a bunch of parameters (boost, RPM, throttle, IAT, timing, kr1, kr2, kr3, kr4) the resolution knocks way down. Oh well.
Who did you decide to go with for tuning?
I wasn't deciding. It's always been APR. I had the tune taken off briefly for some troubleshooting but I'm putting it back on eventually. Just trying to do some logging on the stock tune when I get intermittent power reduction. Haven't been able to "catch it" with the right parameters being logged.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
For a few parameters, it's fine, as are most iOS apps. But as soon as you start looking at a bunch of parameters (boost, RPM, throttle, IAT, timing, kr1, kr2, kr3, kr4) the resolution knocks way down. Oh well.

I wasn't deciding. It's always been APR. I had the tune taken off briefly for some troubleshooting but I'm putting it back on eventually. Just trying to do some logging on the stock tune when I get intermittent power reduction. Haven't been able to "catch it" with the right parameters being logged.
I take it that the Torque Pro app for Android or iPhone didn't work? Would you reconsider Cobb? You definitely can log with Cobb.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I take it that the Torque Pro app for Android or iPhone didn't work? Would you reconsider Cobb? You definitely can log with Cobb.
iPhone app didn't work well, no. I haven't tried it for Android yet as I need a bluetooth adapter for Android (I have a wifi adapter). I would definitely not spend $600 on an AP just for logging.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
iPhone app didn't work well, no. I haven't tried it for Android yet as I need a bluetooth adapter for Android (I have a wifi adapter). I would definitely not spend $600 on an AP just for logging.
Yeah I wouldn't buy an AP just for logging. You can get a $15 Bluetooth dongle from Amazon and use it with the Torque Pro app on Android.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Yeah I wouldn't buy an AP just for logging. You can get a $15 Bluetooth dongle from Amazon and use it with the Torque Pro app on Android.
That seems to be my best next step. There's actually a specific dongle that's more like $65 but it has an incredible data resolution and bandwidth, so I might go that route. Or just ignore the problem forever until something breaks and CPO that bish?

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I have logged with TorquePro and a cheap dongle...it's ok. The Unitronic cable and their software is v. good but obvious proprietary.