GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
This was last week but installed a customized carbon fiber steering wheel. Really loving this thing. So many HP gained.

20200713122200_IMG_1502.JPG

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion

Edit: Also got a quote to fix my headliner(it’s not that bad.) 1 day turn around, p&l 400 or 440 with suede. This place had the best reviews
I have been looking at getting mine fixed as well. Was trying to think of some cool material to put up there. Would be pretty cool to have a scene from Omaha Beach with Mericans merking the Nazis.
The best place in my area (dallas) charges $275 out the door and its $375 if they do the sunroof also.(which I don't need)
So you have an option to do real suede? Hmmm

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Last edited:

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
I have been looking at getting mine fixed as well. Was trying to think of some cool material to put up there. Would be pretty cool to have a scene from Omaha Beach with Mericans merking the Nazis.
The best place in my area (dallas) charges $275 out the door and its $375 if they do the sunroof also.(which I don't need)
So you have an option to do real suede? Hmmm

What place in Dallas? I got the price from Chris' Trim Shop. They said they finish it the same day, and they have samples you can look at for material. I'm sure they don't have the Omaha Beach one in stock lol.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
What place in Dallas? I got the price from Chris' Trim Shop. They said they finish it the same day, and they have samples you can look at for material. I'm sure they don't have the Omaha Beach one in stock lol.
Lol
A place called Preston's in Irving on 6th street. Great reviews seems legit. Preston's will also finish same day if you have it there by 8-830 am
Preston's upholstery has some nice cars they have done on their Facebook page. Seems they work on a lot of vws..even a pope nose bug!

Last edited:

brat_burner

Autocross Champion
Lol
A place called Preston's in Irving on 6th street. Great reviews seems legit. Preston's will also finish same day if you have it there by 8-830 am
Preston's upholstery has some nice cars they have done on their Facebook page. Seems they work on a lot of vws..even a pope nose bug!

Ahh, I used to drive by there almost every day!! If you get it done let me know how it turns out.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Ahh, I used to drive by there almost every day!! If you get it done let me know how it turns out.
Man, I've been buying parts from vdub folks on 6th street for 20+ years. Didnt know you ran the streets around here. If you ever see a GTI with a wrinkled front plate please move over .
Hahah

dbizzle22

Go Kart Champion
I saw this video and i replaced mine myself for $65 (cost of Mercedes part) it was pretty easy overall. just gotta take out the bumper and crash bar and you're set.

For those that don't want to splice wires or hack the sensor, it does appear that you can now buy the sensor alone, but it's not cheap. Part # is 8P4965873A and it appears to be available online at various VW parts dealers for $150 - $200. All the threads and VW shops/mechanics I spoke to know about the stupid sensor going bad = replace entire radiator so that's the general knowledge and fix that's used still. But if anyone who needs to deal with U1030 and or U102F codes for the bad radiator / ozone sensor then they can always try this part. Maybe get it at a place that will take returns in case it doesn't work though.

That said, the complete radiator with sensor kit doesn't cost much more at $250-$300 so it's up to you to decide if you'd rather just swap the radiator while you've got everything taken out of the way. The part # for the radiator and sensor is 1K0198251

Also, if your car is PZEV, dealers are fixing this under the federal/state PZEV emissions warranty. YMMV for sure here but if your car is stock or has mods that don't affect the radiator (intercooler or other mods related to the cooling system) then you should be ok.

CleanAsFckMk6

Go Kart Newbie
For those that don't want to splice wires or hack the sensor, it does appear that you can now buy the sensor alone, but it's not cheap. Part # is 8P4965873A and it appears to be available online at various VW parts dealers for $150 - $200. All the threads and VW shops/mechanics I spoke to know about the stupid sensor going bad = replace entire radiator so that's the general knowledge and fix that's used still. But if anyone who needs to deal with U1030 and or U102F codes for the bad radiator / ozone sensor then they can always try this part. Maybe get it at a place that will take returns in case it doesn't work though.

That said, the complete radiator with sensor kit doesn't cost much more at $250-$300 so it's up to you to decide if you'd rather just swap the radiator while you've got everything taken out of the way. The part # for the radiator and sensor is 1K0198251

Also, if your car is PZEV, dealers are fixing this under the federal/state PZEV emissions warranty. YMMV for sure here but if your car is stock or has mods that don't affect the radiator (intercooler or other mods related to the cooling system) then you should be ok.

Yeah I was well aware of the Mercedes Sensor option, in fact I had it on my eBay watchlist for like 2+ years ha, and still actually have the sold out listing watchlisted. If I hadn't procrastinated fixing it I def would have previously went this route bc that original guy that was selling them sold them for like $65-75 and raised it to $99 on the last like 10-15 units he had. Problem is, he sold the couple hundred he had and now, and like you said, the price for them has skyrocketed and they are also hard to find again. I just looked on eBay and they only two I could find were listed for $169 and $199. Thats fucking crazy.
My radiator developed a pin-hole leak, only had to add a splash of coolant every few months it was that small of a leak but thats what pushed me to just replace the entire thing. Most places sell them for $285-$300+ but I did a lot of searching and definitely located the cheapest your going to find it anywhere. I was actually nervous when I ordered that they were going to try to pull some shit and exclude the sensor or something bc it was so cheap but I can confirm that its legit. I got mine for $244 shipped, came with the correct rad and a brand new unmounted sensor. Its gone up a few bucks since I ordered but its still a good deal, especially if people are now selling the sensor alone for $200+.

https://www.bamwholesaleparts.com/oem-parts/volkswagen-radiator-assembly-1k0198251

In other news.. if anyone knows where to purchase a couple hundred g611 sensors and wants to become the new go-to plug for the entire US with me let me know ha. You could make a fucking killing selling these on ebay