Attachments

• 20200716_145305.jpg
    20200716_145305.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 128

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Getting a bit warm..
PolarFIS looks nice!

Oil temps look a bit high. I was on cruise control @75 climbing the mountains around the Mohave, was 119F ambient and my oil temps didn’t get as high as yours, I think I hit max 237F :unsure:

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Yea, im thinking its a bit off. I'm hoping so anyway. I dont know what would cause my oil to actually be that hot? I was under the assumption it goes through that little exchange next to the waterpump and cools oil off

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Yea, im thinking its a bit off. I'm hoping so anyway. I dont know what would cause my oil to actually be that hot? I was under the assumption it goes through that little exchange next to the waterpump and cools oil off
Hmm, were you just cruising or driving hard?

I’ve only heard of people hitting 250F+ on the track or really beating the car (like me)

Phur

Autocross Champion

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Wow just about wrecked my baby today, due to a dumb decision on my part.

This whole week has been a haul with at least 10hrs of driving each day, with yesterday maxing out at 16. Pretty tired but I’ve managed, until now. Stopped for a quick hike in Lincoln National Forest and took way more energy than I was expecting, but that’s 8500ft elevation for ya. Got back to the car, next stop was only an hour away, “I got this” I thought, even though I could hardly keep my eyelids open.

Going down the mountains on a back country road. It felt like I blinked for a micro second, but the moment my eyelids opened back up I was one tire off the road heading towards a stone ditch at 50mph. Instincts kick in, yanked the wheel back and got on the road and zig-zagged a few times before it straightened out. Really sketchy, the front of the car came within a few feet of the ditch, rear of the car came within a few feet of a large metal post.

If I had to guess, my eyes probably shut for about 4-6 seconds. Thankfully no other cars on the road and Big G was looking out for me today. Definitely calling an early day and resting up. Nothing seems to be bent/damaged, although it did make a nasty bang when I went off the crumbling road shoulder. Still amazed I came so close and didn’t have any major damage, yikes

brat_burner

Autocross Champion

This whole week has been a haul with at least 10hrs of driving each day, with yesterday maxing out at 16. Pretty tired but I’ve managed, until now. Stopped for a quick hike in Lincoln National Forest and took way more energy than I was expecting, but that’s 8500ft elevation for ya. Got back to the car, next stop was only an hour away, “I got this” I thought, even though I could hardly keep my eyelids open.

Going down the mountains on a back country road. It felt like I blinked for a micro second, but the moment my eyelids opened back up I was one tire off the road heading towards a stone ditch at 50mph. Instincts kick in, yanked the wheel back and got on the road and zig-zagged a few times before it straightened out. Really sketchy, the front of the car came within a few feet of the ditch, rear of the car came within a few feet of a large metal post.

If I had to guess, my eyes probably shut for about 4-6 seconds. Thankfully no other cars on the road and Big G was looking out for me today. Definitely calling an early day and resting up. Nothing seems to be bent/damaged, although it did make a nasty bang when I went off the crumbling road shoulder. Still amazed I came so close and didn’t have any major damage, yikes

Wow man, glad you're ok. When I was in school we had a guy that was commuting quite a ways every day. He fell asleep at the wheel one time and didn't make it. I did quite a bit of solo driving during that time over long distances. The thing I found that helped me stay alert the most was munching on sunflower seeds.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

Driving while tired is terrifying. When. I was younger I was going to a festival with friends in missouri, we decided to leave at 2am, I was supposed to go to sleep at 8 to be ok as I was the only driver but of course my gf at the time and friends kept me up. We left at 2 as planned, of course every passenger at the time was asleep by 3 and lonely ole me was left keeping everyone alive....6am rolls through and I was losing it. I told everyone I had to stop and sleep because I was scaring myself driving and it was dangerous. Of course I was the bad guy and causing a delay etc. Fuckem. I slept. Went to the festival, had fun and immediately broke up with that chick upon return. Best decision ever.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Wow man, glad you're ok. When I was in school we had a guy that was commuting quite a ways every day. He fell asleep at the wheel one time and didn't make it. I did quite a bit of solo driving during that time over long distances. The thing I found that helped me stay alert the most was munching on sunflower seeds.

I use candied ginger for long drives. That strong of a flavor definitely helps to wake you back up.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Glad you are ok, that was a real wake up call. I've done driving while too tired, like you I've had a close call or two. These days I try not to push it. If I find myself too tired to safely drive I pull over & try to get a bit of sleep, a half hour really helps.

Mk6Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Thanks again y’all, I swear this community is so legit.

Just got back, ended the trip at 6 days (technically 7 but whatever) and 4,867 miles. GTI definitely needs a full interior/exterior detail tomorrow, and some much needed maintenance. She ran without a single hiccup though, and there were moments where I really pushed the snot out of her up in the mountains 10k ft+ so I’m amazed yet again with this car. This whole trip was a blast.

Now on the to-do list before mod installation: oil change, new fuel filter, brake flush, alignment check, and hopefully manual trans fluid flush. Then all the goodies can go on once she’s back in tip top shape (y)

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Seeds help me, I have driven to Colorado with a rv 3 times this year. I take my chances trying to stay awake vs letting my wife drive. Driving to Missouri in 2 weeks. Thats gonna be a fun one. I did fall asleep going to Florida once with wirh wife and 4 sons. Opened my eyes and one of my sons had the wheel yelling at me. Scary stuff

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
I don’t go on many road-trips these days, but I’ve found that listening to a mentally stimulating podcast helps me a lot. Music tends to put me to sleep, even if it’s loud and angry, but I can go forever if I have a few Dan Carlin Hardcore History podcasts to listen to.