GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
If you're careful, I believe you can remove and reinstall it. I've done this with lots of parts that people would normally throw away.
Yeah I re-used the original one that was on before. I just wish there was a way to test it out before putting the trans back on. If it still leaks at least i'll be good at getting the trans off.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Yeah I re-used the original one that was on before. I just wish there was a way to test it out before putting the trans back on. If it still leaks at least i'll be good at getting the trans off.
I imagine if you lubricate it all well enough it should come off ok. Just coat it all with fresh oil and be gentle.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
I imagine if you lubricate it all well enough it should come off ok. Just coat it all with fresh oil and be gentle.
Oh don't worry, i'm sure its lubricated with plenty of fresh oil at this point

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Ran up to the storage unit to top up the tire pressure for the timer long haul and to also pull the recaro seats out. The planted brackets I bought have some issues with the wrinkle coat paint peeling so part of my winter planning is to dismount and repaint those.

I pulled out my OEM drivers seat to make this happen and in doing so I found that the headrest is completely broken. I'll see about sourcing a replacement since the inside plastics that hold the metal posts are trash.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Got the trans off and the RMS out. Holy shit what a pain that was. I didn't have the socket for the axle bolt so the drivers side axle had to stay in. Definitely getting one tomorrow before I go to put it back in. Does anyone else on here have the iabed? The front of my seal is a felt like material, all the videos I see are rubber though. Is mine backwards or is that a new revision or something? Also just want to make sure that the lip should be folded back toward the engine, and not against the felt part (which is how I had it and it was leaking BAD)

Attachments

• 20221210_013750.jpg
    20221210_013750.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 32
  • 20221210_013738.jpg
    20221210_013738.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 20221210_013841.jpg
    20221210_013841.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 20221210_013835.jpg
    20221210_013835.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Ordered a new OEM RMS from FCP. Going to use that for now since I don't feel like rushing to replace the seal in the iAbed and messing it up (it's the wrong seal inside the aluminum piece). I'll keep the iabed as a backup if the oem leaks. Picking up in store monday so hopefully i'll have the trans back in monday night or tuesday. I may have found my issue of the car dying out, I forgot to transfer the old fuse when I installed my stratified kit, and that fuse controls... Engine management system (pump relay, injectors, etc.). Really hoping that's all the issue was, but i'll have to wait until the day after my trans goes in to test so the RTV has time to set. Also popped into a detailing shop that's local to me to support a small business and got some wheel sealant that will hopefully help keep the brake dust off my silver wheels. Did one wheel tonight and will get the rest this upcoming week.

zrickety

The Fixer
Got the trans off and the RMS out. Holy shit what a pain that was. I didn't have the socket for the axle bolt so the drivers side axle had to stay in. Definitely getting one tomorrow before I go to put it back in. Does anyone else on here have the iabed? The front of my seal is a felt like material, all the videos I see are rubber though. Is mine backwards or is that a new revision or something? Also just want to make sure that the lip should be folded back toward the engine, and not against the felt part (which is how I had it and it was leaking BAD)
Yours definitely looks different from the one I put in. Doesn't mean it's bad though, are you sure that's where the leak was?

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Yours definitely looks different from the one I put in. Doesn't mean it's bad though, are you sure that's where the leak was?
It was definitely leaking from there, the main issue is I installed it wrong. I posted in a group on Facebook and Issam (owner if iAbed) commented saying it was indeed the wrong seal, so he has a new one coming my way.

GolNat

Autocross Champion

Looks different than mine. Was it installed flush against the aluminum piece? It’s easy to not press it in enough. Forget the iAbed one, the new revised OEM is better.

Mine for reference.

8A8FA2FA-4167-42F3-A3C1-03C828C81014.jpeg

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Looks different than mine. Was it installed flush against the aluminum piece? It’s easy to not press it in enough. Forget the iAbed one, the new revised OEM is better.

Mine for reference.

View attachment 267838
It was installed correctly before I pulled it the first time, was on the car for a while with no issues. I just put it in wrong when I re-installed. I am getting an OEM one tomorrow though and going to use that for the time being, and i'll keep the iAbed as backup incase this one starts leaking

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Got the trans back in last night. Removing the axle definitely made it so much easier to get in. I still had to RKO it on there myself which was a pain in the ass, but at least the axle wasn't in the way. I also found that a 17mm socket I have works perfectly as a clutch alignment tool so that was nice. Still need to do a few things on it (bleed the clutch, replace o-ring on the turbo feed line, put wheels back on) but i'll take care of those during the day today and hopefully start it tonight to find out if that fuse was my issue. I was debating starting last night but given how cold it is I wanted to give the RTV as much time to set as possible, i'll probably hit the trans with a heat gun a few times throughout the day too just to be safe.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Had a whole big thing written up and then closed the tab :/. Car is running though! No leaks and it feels really good. Keeping it out of boost for now but I can tell it really wants to go. It did die out on the highway due to the breaker for the fuel pump popping. I let it cool and was good to go. I think it was due to a poor connection as the wire just pulled out of it. Gonna crank it down and monitor it tomorrow. Now it's time to finish the break in and let her rip

Attachments

• 1670987617206.jpeg
    1670987617206.jpeg
    7 KB · Views: 22

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Drove back from work on the highway and checked the breaker afterwards and it was nice and cool. Definitely a bad connection on my part that caused the issue.