GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your MK6 today?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
I'll see how it goes, for the price it's worth trying. I also plan on rigging up a water spray system by tapping into the windshield washer tank that'll aid in cooling. At some point over the next year or so I'll be experimenting with different underbody aero setups and one of the things I'll be monitoring is the delta between ambient and intake air temp. The basic idea is that by lowering the air pressure under the car by going with a flat floor from nose to rear diffuser I can experiment with venting the relatively higher pressure area behind the cooling stack through to the exhaust tunnel in different locations to see what works best.

I understand that I *might* be sacrificing some of the anti-lift benefits of a flat floor by venting under the car, but I suspect that this is going to be marginal because I'll not be using side skirts to stop air from rolling under the car from the sides.

My main hang-up with large aftermarket performance intercoolers is adding ~20 lbs so far forward on the car, and I'm the weirdo that would rather have less horsepower than take that kind of hit to the handling balance of the car. But my hp goal of about 300 bhp is fairly modest so I think I can make that happen using an OEM intercooler without the ECU pulling timing over a 25 minute lapping session.
Sounds like a fun project, looking forward to seeing the results. I've gone down the rabbit hole with weight savings too, 2811 when I weighed it with a big oem location intercooler

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Sounds like a fun project, looking forward to seeing the results. I've gone down the rabbit hole with weight savings too, 2811 when I weighed it with a big oem location intercooler
damn that's awesome, 2811 lbs is great. I'm hoping I can get under 2900 lbs in track trim without having to do anything I can't reverse as easily as swapping brake pads.

It's less about the actual weight, it's the location of it. I wouldn't mind it if I could have the weight at the axle line somewhere in the middle of the car, it's just it being somewhat high up and so far forward of the front axle that I don't want. I would rather just use the stock intercooler with water injection because at least with that I could place the weight of the water anywhere on the car I wanted. But I'm hoping I could hit my goal with the exterior water spray, I just have to find a nozzle that mists the water well enough and hope that the windshield washer pump can generate enough PSI to get me there. If I get positive results I might rig up a system with a higher pressure aftermarket pump that's tied to the intake air temperature sensor and have it automatically switch on when intake air hits a target voltage so I won't have to spray it manually (using the windshield wiper stalk).

I'm working through a severe health crisis at home right now so all of this is at the mercy of their recovery, but the under-car stuff and diffuser should be easy to throw together quickly. The diffuser will come together when I ditch the stock suitcase muffler. I'll be converting to single exit to make as much space as possible and I'm debating on sending the exit to one side or the other or just having a downturn installed immediately to the rear of the subframe and building the diffuser around that (exhaust blown diffuser?).

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
damn that's awesome, 2811 lbs is great. I'm hoping I can get under 2900 lbs in track trim without having to do anything I can't reverse as easily as swapping brake pads.

It's less about the actual weight, it's the location of it. I wouldn't mind it if I could have the weight at the axle line somewhere in the middle of the car, it's just it being somewhat high up and so far forward of the front axle that I don't want. I would rather just use the stock intercooler with water injection because at least with that I could place the weight of the water anywhere on the car I wanted. But I'm hoping I could hit my goal with the exterior water spray, I just have to find a nozzle that mists the water well enough and hope that the windshield washer pump can generate enough PSI to get me there. If I get positive results I might rig up a system with a higher pressure aftermarket pump that's tied to the intake air temperature sensor and have it automatically switch on when intake air hits a target voltage so I won't have to spray it manually (using the windshield wiper stalk).

I'm working through a severe health crisis at home right now so all of this is at the mercy of their recovery, but the under-car stuff and diffuser should be easy to throw together quickly. The diffuser will come together when I ditch the stock suitcase muffler. I'll be converting to single exit to make as much space as possible and I'm debating on sending the exit to one side or the other or just having a downturn installed immediately to the rear of the subframe and building the diffuser around that (exhaust blown diffuser?).
For the exhaust, I'm not sure our cars produce enough consistent exhaust volume to properly seal the diffuser from the rear tire squirt or to 're-energize' the the low pressure zone at the back of the diffuser. You would need constant 'off-throttle overrun' to have consistent flow/DF.

I'm done being a Negative Nancy, I'm fully intrigued with the project. Looking forward to seeing progress and best of luck with the at home situation.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
For the exhaust, I'm not sure our cars produce enough consistent exhaust volume to properly seal the diffuser from the rear tire squirt or to 're-energize' the the low pressure zone at the back of the diffuser. You would need constant 'off-throttle overrun' to have consistent flow/DF.

I'm done being a Negative Nancy, I'm fully intrigued with the project. Looking forward to seeing progress and best of luck with the at home situation.
Yeah I’m pretty confident that designing an actually effective exhaust blown diffuser is very much beyond my abilities and resources, but it’s fun to think about.

I’m mostly just trying to apply aerodynamic best practices that are more or less universally acknowledged to create positive performance results. I’m not trying to build a max effort car, I just want to see how much I can get for the least amount of cash and a little DIY testing.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Put the final miles on the car today to get to 100. Oil is coming in tomorrow so i'll dump it out into a clean pan to inspect the old oil and make sure nothings up with it. Gonna try and get it through emissions tomorrow as well, just hoping the dump pipe doesn't cause any issues with it. I'm also planning on putting the bumper back on either tomorrow or saturday, depending on how busy I am

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Got turned away from emissions because the VIN on my ECU doesn't match the VIN on the car. Reached out to a friend who does emissions and he said it shouldn't be an issue so i'll see if I can bring it down there tomorrow to get them done. They also didn't believe I had a cat on there because it doesn't stick out below the exhaust tunnel and wouldn't jack up the car to see, I hate shops sometimes.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Changed my oil because I hit the time limit instead the mile limit for the first time. Swapped coilpacks because I’m getting a consistently inconsistent misfire under load in cylinder 4; often enough to notice but not often enough to throw a code. It’s been 70k since the last carbon cleaning and every single fuel and ignition item under the hood has less than 10k miles on them, so it’s probably the valves.

I did some poking around for aerodynamic improvement ideas and I noticed that the area around the core support had a lot of large gaps, especially behind the upper grill. If you’re doing track days have a look at sealing that off and your intercooler and radiator will work better. I also found a spot that I think will work great to run hose for brake cooling from. The plan was to cut a slot or hole into a spot in the stock dust shields to direct air to the center of the rotor and run a 2” hose to it.

For my exhaust adjustments… I want a Vibrant 17930 in the exhaust tunnel, which looks like it’ll just *barely* fit because it’s a girthy boy at 5” diameter. I’ll have a Borla ProXS muffler in the stock resonator spot and I should have an exhaust that’s quiet enough to keep the neighbors happy (I also want a quiet car).

smanierre

Autocross Champion
Went to my friends house today to grab his vagcom and ensure all my monitors were ready. Hooked it up and everything was good. As soon as I pulled out to go to the shop for emissions my engine light came on for rear o2 rich and the heater circuit being open. I pulled over and cleared them and drove very easily to the shop. When I got there the heater circuit code was pending but no CEL and all the readiness monitors were set. It ended up passing so that's one less thing to worry about.

I had some fuel coming out of the top of my tank, which I believe was the ring that secures the fuel basket in there being loose. I whacked it a couple times in a TSC parking lot and it seems to be better now but I still gotta monitor it to be sure. The lpfp is making some weird higher pitched noises occasionally, not quite sure what the reason is for it or if it's bad. I'll keep an eye on it and should really find out if it's an issue once I start really getting into boost and need more fuel.

After emissions I drove a bit more aggressive on the way home and went up to 3-4lbs of boost and oh boy was it fun. Still not super fast, but I can tell once I really get on it it's gonna fly. The intake sounds amazing too, so loud with that distinct big turbo whistle.

It's got about 300 miles on it so far, with 600 being the goal to ensure the engine/clutch is broken in before going WOT. I'll be driving it a lot of the day tomorrow so maybe another 100 or 150, and hopefully going to some spots to get some good photos of it now that the bumper is back on and it looks like a nice car again.

MLue1

Drag Racing Champion
Anybody using this Special VW Part 1J0955875P to fix the rear washer fluid leak in the hatch area. I haven't looked yet but I suspect previous repair starting to leak again.

If you have, is its a simple cut and insert and joint. I get the small end but I'm not confident how the large end is secured on the other end of the line.

Last edited:

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Anybody using this Special VW Part 1J0955875P to fix the rear washer fluid leak in the hatch area. I haven't looked yet but I suspect previous repair starting to leak again.

If you have, is its a simple cut and insert and joint. I get the small end but I'm not confident how the large end is secured on the other end of the line.
I think the connector itself disassembles with barbs on either end and some way to fasten one of the ends is what you're seeing there. I'm basing this based on some of the drawings not the photo itself