GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk7 today?

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Nvm, am dumb.

So, what's the preferred move if I want an upgrade from the factory bushings? I had R bushings in my mk4 and liked them.

For me it's going to be a $60/yr maintenance. Otherwise I agree I think the MK8 8Y LCA bushings will likely last longer. They're "more solid" but still have voids to allow the twisting motion needed in our LCA location.

All the above said, if you're on some kind of coilovers that have nearly no travel (like most cheap ones), I don't think you'll be killing bushings as often. Less wheel travel = less stress on that bushing.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I still don't understand the issues with so many failed Superpro bushings. Probably a bad batch? ECS recently adopted the same style rear bushing, since it uses sealed an OEM Mercedes-Benz ball joint, but they were "smarter" about it and isntead of using urethane to surround the ball joint, they use a T6 aluminum milled piece. I have a set of stamped Superpro LCAs going on the car as soon as I move into the new house, and if those die soon I may give this one a try. At $279 they are expensive, but if they last as long as they do on a Mercedes, then it should last the rest of the time I may have this car.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-par...oball-bushing-set-rear-position/008083la01~a/

1706122214791.png

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
For me it's going to be a $60/yr maintenance. Otherwise I agree I think the MK8 8Y LCA bushings will likely last longer. They're "more solid" but still have voids to allow the twisting motion needed in our LCA location.

All the above said, if you're on some kind of coilovers that have nearly no travel (like most cheap ones), I don't think you'll be killing bushings as often. Less wheel travel = less stress on that bushing.
That sounds like a wise take. I know I'm a wiener for it, but it's just a weekend/fun street car. So I think maybe the BFI bushings will be fine, and while I'm planning cheap-ish coilovers (ST XA) I'm not planning to go stupid low.

@Maiden69 those look like a nice setup, but yeah for nearly $300 on a car I'm not autocrossing or anything of that nature. Definitely be interesting to see some reviews of those though.

Chalk this one up to the same area as the aluminum subframe. Great for competition, but I'm a peasant and don't need every possible advantage. Always cool to learn more though.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
This I thought about, but not happy with the complaints about noise with them and the possibility of having to notch the strut mount.
Inverted struts are great and one benefit is not needing to notch or drill. My vorshlag plates are quiet after following their prescribed, albeit crude torque method (impact gun).

So, what's the preferred move if I want an upgrade from the factory bushings? I had R bushings in my mk4 and liked them.
BFI seem to be slightly different materials than OEM 8Y RS3/8S TTRS/Mk8R bushings. Points to aftermarket sourcing with worse QC to me, and thus lower MTBF.

I still don't understand the issues with so many failed Superpro bushings. Probably a bad batch? ECS recently adopted the same style rear bushing, since it uses sealed an OEM Mercedes-Benz ball joint, but they were "smarter" about it and isntead of using urethane to surround the ball joint, they use a T6 aluminum milled piece. I have a set of stamped Superpro LCAs going on the car as soon as I move into the new house, and if those die soon I may give this one a try. At $279 they are expensive, but if they last as long as they do on a Mercedes, then it should last the rest of the time I may have this car.
powerflex's adjustable front bushings have a similar design, a ball joint inside a urethane bushing. seen those fail too, though.

I've had an eye on the "mercedes" ball joints, just hesitant because it's ECS and "OEM" doesn't have as much weight coming from them. Maybe next time I'll give them a shot. Ball joint would be fantastic in the rear LCA spot.

ZERO815

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Please tell me you get to jump the truck at least a little.
20-30 runs almost 2 seconds in the air at 70mph, does that count?

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
Getting ready for our first autocross event of 2024 on Sunday and realized I never offloaded my Event 12 videos. I managed the fastest time of the day, but it was negated by a post finish line cone. (Still third fastest overall after the cone. I was flying!) I need to decide on a quickfit harness or similar as I'm still moving around a lot in my Corbeau RRXs.
IMG_5029.jpeg

This full moon has been awesome for camping. Skies have been clear and just a nice sea breeze. These pictures were taken around 9pm with my iPhone and a 10 second exposure.
IMG_5378.jpeg

IMG_5380.jpeg

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
Getting ready for our first autocross event of 2024 on Sunday and realized I never offloaded my Event 12 videos. I managed the fastest time of the day, but it was negated by a post finish line cone. (Still third fastest overall after the cone. I was flying!) I need to decide on a quickfit harness or similar as I'm still moving around a lot in my Corbeau RRXs.
View attachment 298336
This full moon has been awesome for camping. Skies have been clear and just a nice sea breeze. These pictures were taken around 9pm with my iPhone and a 10 second exposure.
View attachment 298337
View attachment 298338
Great photos, and looks like a beautiful place to be. Are all the AX courses out there that long? That was nuts -- typically our local region sees ~45-50s courses (depending on class/driver, of course) and I've seen some as long as 60, but that was a sight to see.

I'd love to see what harness you choose with the RRX. I keep going back and forth on them, it's either $100 for a 2-door seatbelt receiver OR I spend not much more (in the scheme of things) and get a Schroth, something like a Rallye 3 would even suffice for my needs but I'm not sure if the tail strap would be long enough to reach.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
Inverted struts are great and one benefit is not needing to notch or drill. My vorshlag plates are quiet after following their prescribed, albeit crude torque method (impact gun).
I thought you would still need to notch the area to adjust the camber/caster settings on the plate? NVM, I see that you can adjust camber without access as the plate slides, but you still can't adjust camber. Is this a stock on one end, 1x degrees on the other end?

They also say that.
  • Camber is easily adjustable at the track from the engine compartment with simple (metric) hand tools. No need to reach inside the wheel well with a wrench!
But there is no access to one of the bolts even with the tower notched? Can you adjust yours? Or you have to loosen the mount bolts, slide the plate to gain access, then set your camber again?

1706190152772.png

I've had an eye on the "mercedes" ball joints, just hesitant because it's ECS and "OEM" doesn't have as much weight coming from them. Maybe next time I'll give them a shot. Ball joint would be fantastic in the rear LCA spot.
I am a fan of ball joint vs any flex coupler. I did see Powerflex and Whiteline, and definitely went against them because of the urethane surrounding the ball joint, with the issues of it separating. Definitely have ECS one in my wish list... IF I decide to keep the GTI I may invest in them. As below I don't race the car right now because it is my daily, but once it is paid for I will definitely go have some fun with it.

@Maiden69 those look like a nice setup, but yeah for nearly $300 on a car I'm not autocrossing or anything of that nature. Definitely be interesting to see some reviews of those though.
Me too, I think they will behave just the same as the Superpro, just no urethane to separate from the sleeve.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Blade3562 I must have the memory of a (choose any small animal that doesn't get enough respect) because every time I watch an auto-x video all I can think is how I wouldn't be be able to remember where I should be turning left/right, going around, etc. And that looked like a dang-on long auto-x track! I'm impressed with the driving and your memory. Those pics are great too.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
@Blade3562 I must have the memory of a (choose any small animal that doesn't get enough respect) because every time I watch an auto-x video all I can think is how I wouldn't be be able to remember where I should be turning left/right, going around, etc. And that looked like a dang-on long auto-x track! I'm impressed with the driving and your memory. Those pics are great too.
It’s not necessarily all about memory, but learning to read the cones and what they mean.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I thought you would still need to notch the area to adjust the camber/caster settings on the plate? NVM, I see that you can adjust camber without access as the plate slides, but you still can't adjust camber. Is this a stock on one end, 1x degrees on the other end?

They also say that.
  • Camber is easily adjustable at the track from the engine compartment with simple (metric) hand tools. No need to reach inside the wheel well with a wrench!
But there is no access to one of the bolts even with the tower notched? Can you adjust yours? Or you have to loosen the mount bolts, slide the plate to gain access, then set your camber again?
Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 11.36.35 AM.png

Well for one your image is a mustang plate. For caster, you remove the 3 bolts circles (in blue) and either move the plate forward or backward. There are effectively only two settings, there are only 3 holes in the bottom section for those to go into. I think all of these might be accessible if you've got the plate loosened for camber, not sure.

For camber, you just loosen the nuts (in green) which will be on top of the strut tower and 100% accessible no matter what. You then maneuver the strut to set static camber, then tighten them back down. I'm kind of confused what you mean by a bolt not being accessible for camber.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
View attachment 298350

Well for one your image is a mustang plate. For caster, you remove the 3 bolts circles (in blue) and either move the plate forward or backward. There are effectively only two settings, there are only 3 holes in the bottom section for those to go into. I think all of these might be accessible if you've got the plate loosened for camber, not sure.

For camber, you just loosen the nuts (in green) which will be on top of the strut tower and 100% accessible no matter what. You then maneuver the strut to set static camber, then tighten them back down. I'm kind of confused what you mean by a bolt not being accessible for camber.
Yes, but it was the only image that Vorshlag had in their page that showed the plate mounted on a before and after opening the strut tower. I do like the way they adjust vs almost every other plate out there. And the fact that they actually machine it to the strut and springs you are using, vs a one size fit all.

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
Great photos, and looks like a beautiful place to be. Are all the AX courses out there that long? That was nuts -- typically our local region sees ~45-50s courses (depending on class/driver, of course) and I've seen some as long as 60, but that was a sight to see.

I'd love to see what harness you choose with the RRX. I keep going back and forth on them, it's either $100 for a 2-door seatbelt receiver OR I spend not much more (in the scheme of things) and get a Schroth, something like a Rallye 3 would even suffice for my needs but I'm not sure if the tail strap would be long enough to reach.
We're fortunate to have a pretty small group. There's a core group of roughly 15 drivers and events typically have 20-25 participants so we have lots of freedom for course design and length. If the first group starts and we realize the course is too long we can opt to remove a loop or segment. Being on an island without a lot of driving roads they try to make them flow as best as possible while being technical. It's very much a club vs competitive atmosphere. Everyone rides along with each other, one Miata almost always wins PAX, there's 4-5 of us in the TOTD battle, but everyone has a blast. I'd say a typical course is 60-90 seconds. The big thing is keeping car speed down to prevent incidents/accidents. The most popular tracks are the ones where everyone is within a few seconds of each other.

I actually prefer my 140hp Mk4 TDI for autocross, but I'm chasing a vaccuum leak that's causing booster and VNT issues which would ruin the fun. I haven't taken to autocross it since the TT front end swap, but it should be a little monster. A DSG swapped Mk4 TDI with a VNT17/22 or DSG Mk7 TDI with a CR190 turbo would likely be the best autocross car in my opinion. Miata is not the answer. This video was with no front sway bar, stock steering rack, a clogged cat, and other gremlins.

I have the old style RRX's with 2 door buckles and the CG lock method has never worked for me. I would like a half cage and fixed backs, but don't want my 4 legged copilot being hurt by scaffolding since it is still my "daily.". Several guys here use a torso strap as a workaround for Miatas to stay in *S or *SP. I tried one but found it super uncomfortable with little gain. I'm in SM with the R DSG swap so full sends are ok for me.
IMG_4898.jpeg

My first track day ever a Z4M hit a raccoon at 85mph directly with his go-pro tow hook camera. Because it hit the camera the car was spared, but I'm always worried about rodents on the mainland at trackdays and autocross. Over here we just have this little mongoose that are like a small squirrel so it's not too bad.

For me the courses are definitely memory. It's been a tough change from road courses. We don't use pointer/directional cones and since it's a go cart track everything happens fast. Typically 1 or 2 guys will DNF in the morning as they learn the course, but by end of day you're good to go.
IMG_5436.jpeg

I'm going to guess this Sunday's course will be roughly 65 seconds. With this course I'll be taking the anti-clockwise on both options to set up for a longer straight on the return run. The lower crossover is also really awkward in the clockwise direction being an over 90 degree right hand turn. Going anti-clockwise puts it to my left at a slower speed. My friend in his S2000 will likely take the clockwise in the upper option and anti-clockwise in the lower with how his car handles through the long sweeper on the left side.