GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk8 today.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Not as cool as new wheels or coilovers, but...

Added a wireless Android Auto dongle to the car. It took about 30 sec to get it to pair with my Samsung S21. So far, works great. I've gotten in and driven the car 3 times now, all three times, it paired and was playing music before I made it out of the garage and into the street.

It came with a small piece of double-sided tape to hide it of the way.

20240323_192942.jpg

Pretty happy with it.

MSXTTLY Android Auto Wireless Adapter for Car Android auto Small Car Dongle for OEM Wired Car Model 2017+ Play Plug USB C to A, USB A Extension Cable, 90 Degree USB A Adapter, 3 Adapters, U2A-AIR https://a.co/d/8xN6zK4

Last edited:

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Not as cool as new wheels or coilovers, but...

Added a wireless Android Auto dongle to the car. It took about 30 sec to get it to pair with my Samsung S21. So far, works great. I've gotten in and driven the car 3 times now, all three times, it paired and was playing music before I made it out of the garage and into the street.

It came with a small piece of double-sided tape to hide it of the way.

View attachment 301417

Pretty happy with it.

MSXTTLY Android Auto Wireless Adapter for Car Android auto Small Car Dongle for OEM Wired Car Model 2017+ Play Plug USB C to A, USB A Extension Cable, 90 Degree USB A Adapter, 3 Adapters, U2A-AIR https://a.co/d/8xN6zK4
I have this and it turns that cubby into a more useful spot.

https://www.amazon.com/SXCY-Console...se&keywords=mk8+console&qid=1711286842&sr=8-2

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I can't imagine putting anything but a phone in there to charge.

I loved my ddock phone dock in my mk7.5. I didn't miss wireless AA with it, but I don't think a similar setup could be done for mk8.

The wireless charger works pretty well with my phone though.

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
I can't imagine putting anything but a phone in there to charge.

I loved my ddock phone dock in my mk7.5. I didn't miss wireless AA with it, but I don't think a similar setup could be done for mk8.

The wireless charger works pretty well with my phone though.
I have to plug my phone in for CarPlay since I haven't experimented with any wireless options anyway, so I don't use the charging pad. That area is a small catch all for small items, like Chapstick, flashlight, and gum, that I like to have quick access to. It's not super fancy, but it works well for me.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have to plug my phone in for CarPlay since I haven't experimented with any wireless options anyway, so I don't use the charging pad. That area is a small catch all for small items, like Chapstick, flashlight, and gum, that I like to have quick access to. It's not super fancy, but it works well for me.
They have a CarPlay version of the dongle I used. Same company.

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
New plates came in, I’ve been waiting on these for a while.
Thick hips Thursday……or should I save this for fat ass Friday?
IMG_2663.jpeg

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
CS rear spoiler?
Replica from AliExpress. For $80 I’ve got no complaints, besides the white isn’t an exact match for Onyx.
IMG_2552.jpeg

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
I was fortunate enough to have a job that paid for me to enjoy track time in the past, but have never attempted AutoX before, so I signed up for the novice instruction day. $140 for 15 runs of my own, plus two ride alongs with my instructor……..short story, it was a blast.

The Mk8 held its own and definitely had waaay more power than needed. I felt like a winner just being within 1.5 seconds of the Lotus who was piloted by a 2023 National champ.

Swapped in Redline 0w-30 and never saw over 225° on the oil temp, with ambient temps on the dash showing 80° and most of my runs came with two or minutes between them.

Can’t wait for the next event. Have to run XA due to the Pmax, so I won’t be competitive, but I’ll guarantee that I will have fun.

FAQ:
17x9 +42, 245/45/17 Falken RT660
Camber -2.1 f, -1.8 r still have a very slight amount of rubbing at each fender, but they have self clearanced nice enough with any visible damage.
Cygnus X1 custom coilovers
034 LCA’s
F&R sway bars
034 motor/trans mount
Ringer Stage 4 clutch
Pmax with Unitronic stage 3
Plus lots of other stuff that I’ve probably posted about previously.

IMG_2914.jpeg

View attachment 301772
IMG_2930.jpeg

IMG_2935.jpeg

Last edited:

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Can I get a link? I'll just do black.
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $24.20 50% Off | For Volkswagen GOLF 8 MK8 pro R-line gti R Spoiler ABS Black/CARBON COLOR/BLACK WITH WHITE With White Car Rear Wing Spoiler
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNhdkmI

I think they have an all black option.

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
I got an accused of “sandbagging with a stock exhaust in a kraut missile” by an older gentleman in a C6 Corvette today.

Don’t get your panties in a wad, saying I’m embellishing though. I’m sure his white New Balances were minty, he probably didn’t want to out drive his cataracts…………and it wasn’t a Z06.

Happy hump day from the Ozarks!!
IMG_2968.jpeg

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Oil change @ 1900 mi. Not required. Really was just curious if there was any post-break-in “stuff” (metal shavings or whatever) in the oil or filter. Looked clean to me!

0w20 Mobil 1
STP Extended Life oil filter

Hard to beat the Autozone oil + filter combo dealio.

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Removed both front door cards to fix the rattle that comes from one of the stupid clips. VW decided to use a "floating" clip design that rattles around inside a housing. Put a couple layers of fuzzy tesa tape on it and it seems fine (for now). Wrapped a couple wiring sections in tape and added butyl dampening in a few places while I was in there too, although there aren't many blank areas for it.

Pretty easy job and I didn't manage to break anything.

https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/golf-mk8-creaking-in-the-door.9539408/#post-116241602

Last edited: