GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk8 today.

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Removed both front door cards to fix the rattle that comes from one of the stupid clips. VW decided to use a "floating" clip design that rattles around inside a housing. Put a couple layers of fuzzy tesa tape on it and it seems fine (for now). Wrapped a couple wiring sections in tape and added butyl dampening in a few places while I was in there too, although there aren't many blank areas for it.

Pretty easy job and I didn't manage to break anything.
I've noticed a couple small rattles in my doors too.......when they bother me, I just take my hearing aids out. Problem solved.

I'll probably spend a day doing what you did too, that way my wife won't gripe at me for not wearing my hearing aids. That is whole other conversation though. ;)

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
I've noticed a couple small rattles in my doors too.......when they bother me, I just take my hearing aids out. Problem solved.

I'll probably spend a day doing what you did too, that way my wife won't gripe at me for not wearing my hearing aids. That is whole other conversation though. ;)
You won't spend a day on this. More like a lunch break.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
While you were in there, you should have swapped out the speakers. 😜

No door rattles yet.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
No door rattles yet.
It's honestly pretty sporadic. Only on warmer days and only on rough pavement. I'm surprised how few rattles this car has. Usually any new car has some trouble spots that need to be addressed.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's honestly pretty sporadic. Only on warmer days and only on rough pavement. I'm surprised how few rattles this car has. Usually any new car has some trouble spots that need to be addressed.
If I get rattles, I'll do the speakers. JL C1's work really well with factory head units.

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
I ordered iSweep pads (3500/3000) and lucked into a set of Yperion titanium shims from another member on here. Dogbone parts and subframe locking collars will be delivered today. Once I get all that ironed out, I will see if I have time to swap to the 034 ball joints before I knock out the alignment. I'm very curious to see if I can keep from chewing the outside shoulders up on my RT660's.

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Dogbone and deadset installed.

The APR sway bar would have needed to be completely unbolted to fit the smaller 034 insert (in the third picture). I slid it in from the bottom.

Shifts definitely feel more direct, and I don’t feel the need to short shift the 1-2 at 4000 rpm.

There is some NVH that is especially noticeable when trying to ease away from a stop. Other than that, I’m a satisfied customer.
View attachment IMG_3052.jpeg
View attachment IMG_3054.jpeg

Last edited:

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Autocrossed her today for the first time. Impressed! Finished 1st out of 4 in STH with literally no mods, and 11th overall PAX. (I ran STH because I still have my STH tire/wheel set from my prev Mk7.)

Was a relatively slow course (45-50mph max) today, perfect for the DSG in 2nd.
  • Lots of grip! New VAQ works beautifully.
  • Turned off ESC and all assists so nothing ever got in the way.
  • Very neutral handling overall, and hesitant to rotate. Even heavy trail braking produced just a small step out. Not at all understeery like the mk7 though and for the most part went where I pointed it. It wants to stay neutral and balanced. Not a bad thing but some on-demand oversteer would be useful. Could probably get some rotation in a faster course and/or with a different alignment.
  • Turn in wasn’t as sharp as I would like, probably due to the lack of front camber and the factory toe-in.
  • Alignment will fix or improve a lot of the above. That will be my next step.
Sheesh, this thing is gonna be a weapon when it’s set up properly.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Dude, that's awesome. Congrats. I'm so excited to get this car setup.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Autocrossed her today for the first time. Impressed! Finished 1st out of 4 in STH with literally no mods, and 11th overall PAX. (I ran STH because I still have my STH tire/wheel set from my prev Mk7.)

Was a relatively slow course (45-50mph max) today, perfect for the DSG in 2nd.
  • Lots of grip! New VAQ works beautifully.
  • Turned off ESC and all assists so nothing ever got in the way.
  • Very neutral handling overall, and hesitant to rotate. Even heavy trail braking produced just a small step out. Not at all understeery like the mk7 though and for the most part went where I pointed it. It wants to stay neutral and balanced. Not a bad thing but some on-demand oversteer would be useful. Could probably get some rotation in a faster course and/or with a different alignment.
  • Turn in wasn’t as sharp as I would like, probably due to the lack of front camber and the factory toe-in.
  • Alignment will fix or improve a lot of the above. That will be my next step.
Sheesh, this thing is gonna be a weapon when it’s set up properly.
Interesting update: Hearing from other folks in the autocross group that the surface we ran on yesterday was not conducive to oversteer for whatever reason. Some of the guys who typically expect oversteer were fighting understeer. Not sure if it was the slower speed of the course, the surface, or both. Soooo I'm really curious to see how the Mk8 does on a different surface and course this next weekend at Roebling Road.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Interesting update: Hearing from other folks in the autocross group that the surface we ran on yesterday was not conducive to oversteer for whatever reason. Some of the guys who typically expect oversteer were fighting understeer. Not sure if it was the slower speed of the course, the surface, or both. Soooo I'm really curious to see how the Mk8 does on a different surface and course this next weekend at Roebling Road.
Either way, pretty impressive finishing 11th in STH with a stock GTI. Good driving.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Either way, pretty impressive finishing 11th in STH with a stock GTI. Good driving.
Thanks! I will say this: The new course format had some of the Porsche, Corvette, and M guys quaking. Some of them never got out of 1st gear and were way over-driving. A powerful engine provided little benefit. Really interesting variety in the sites now with the FSCJ addition!

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thanks! I will say this: The new course format had some of the Porsche, Corvette, and M guys quaking. Some of them never got out of 1st gear and were way over-driving. A powerful engine provided little benefit. Really interesting variety in the sites now with the FSCJ addition!
Yeah, the highest pax I've ever taken overall was 3rd in CS with my old Miata. It was at regency on a small 30 sec course.

Power isn't as helpful on small courses, but Donald still finished 1st in pax I see, even with a blown shock. 🤣