GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What did you do to your mk8 today.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Had my alignment done today. Factory setup had a ton of rear toe-in and one side was so far in it was out of spec. Rear camber was -1.7 and -2.1, which is kinda wild too. Front toe was in but not too bad, but it was not even side to side at all. So I had them set toe all around to 0 and the rear camber to -1.5. Autocross should feel a lot livelier next time 🤘

TL;DR: Check your factory alignment because the factory sure as sh*t didn’t.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
That'll be interesting. I ran GS in 2 different mk7.5's. The zero toe out back is perfect, but in m7.5, anything less than -1.8 the rear was unmanageable. The mk8 had a longer wheel base and you have stock RSB, so they might be right on the nose.

Front, I'd add just a touch of toe out. Like .10. Zero make the car wonder on the street. A touch of in or out settles that down. 0 is fine for track. Again, that was mk7.5, so might be ok with mk8.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
That'll be interesting. I ran GS in 2 different mk7.5's. The zero toe out back is perfect, but in m7.5, anything less than -1.8 the rear was unmanageable. The mk8 had a longer wheel base and you have stock RSB, so they might be right on the nose.

Front, I'd add just a touch of toe out. Like .10. Zero make the car wonder on the street. A touch of in or out settles that down. 0 is fine for track. Again, that was mk7.5, so might be ok with mk8.
I’m starting with what I ran on my mk7. Felt good. Will tweak from here.

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
0 toe all around is great for daily duties on my Mk8. No wandering at all, but I do have extra camber and caster, that could make a difference to what a stock Mk8 might experience.

Last edited:

RTID75

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought mine!

Screenshot_20240427_221942_Photo Editor.jpg

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Cleaned and regreased the front calipers, then threw in some EBC blue NDX pads with Yperion titanium shims (thanks to @blaqsheep ).

I just got home from bedding them in, and so far I’m impressed. No quantifiable data to back it up, but once I had a decent layer of pad material on the rotors (first smell of warm brakes) these pads were like throwing the parachute. I was impressed with the initial bite along with how progressive they were.

Who knows how much heat they can actually take, or if they will last long enough to be worth it. But, with free replacement from FCP when I wear them out……I’m not complaining. I’ll swap to the iSweep pads when it comes to track time, so these should be decent for spirited street use.
View attachment 1714438265152.jpeg

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Another autocross. Car felt a lot better with 0 toe all around and less rear camber. Still will probably need a bigger rear sway and/or front camber mounts eventually to get some more rotation, but I’ll see how far I can take the stock setup. Managed to get #9 in overall PAX, which I’m stoked about since I’ve never broken into the top 10 before.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Another autocross. Car felt a lot better with 0 toe all around and less rear camber. Still will probably need a bigger rear sway and/or front camber mounts eventually to get some more rotation, but I’ll see how far I can take the stock setup. Managed to get #9 in overall PAX, which I’m stoked about since I’ve never broken into the top 10 before.
Any competition in STH this year? I'm out for the year with all my recent home costs.

What would you have paxed with GS pax?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Any competition in STH this year? I'm out for the year with all my recent home costs.

What would you have paxed with GS pax?
There wasn’t anyone else in STH today. Last event it was thin: one WRX and a Fiesta ST.

You can’t come run GS at least? Not much going on in that class either TBH.

GS would’ve put me at #6, but I wouldn’t have hit that same time with GS-legal narrower wheels and tires.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
There wasn’t anyone else in STH today. Last event it was thin: one WRX and a Fiesta ST.

You can’t come run GS at least? Not much going on in that class either TBH.

GS would’ve put me at #6, but I wouldn’t have hit that same time with GS-legal narrower wheels and tires.
I'm honestly just not feeling it too, if that makes sense?

I'll slap a tune on it, some tires, a rsb, some neg camber and an alignment.

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Loaded up for a trip to NCM for the SCCA time trials this weekend. Looking forward to a fun weekend with my son.
100 pound jack, tools and track wheelset has the back end riding a little low.

View attachment IMG_3273.jpeg
IMG_3275.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3273.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 1

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Definitely not a race kar…….but I’ll say that -3.7° of camber is a friggin’ blast. Really looking forward to tmrw.

I’d definitely prefer to keep the stickers off, but I guess I’ll play nice.

IMG_3333.jpeg

Parked next to a sweet Urano Mk7 too. (I’ll get a better pic tmrw.

IMG_3338.jpeg

mk8gti907

Hey everyone,
new guy from Alaska. My wife and I have been autocrossing our 2022 GTI for nearly three years now. Any recommendations on alignment specs for a GS car? Our car is DCC/DSG, and has neuspeed 25mm RSB and RE71RS for autocross. We had a rough winter, so I'd say it's about due for an alignment. Our car is our daily (we take turns haha) and suprisingly this car handles Alaskan winters pretty well, as long as there isn't three feet of snow!

I have our GTI packed up for an event about three hours away (It's on a high school parking lot). Hoping it's a a course where the Gti can do well.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Hey everyone,
new guy from Alaska. My wife and I have been autocrossing our 2022 GTI for nearly three years now. Any recommendations on alignment specs for a GS car? Our car is DCC/DSG, and has neuspeed 25mm RSB and RE71RS for autocross. We had a rough winter, so I'd say it's about due for an alignment. Our car is our daily (we take turns haha) and suprisingly this car handles Alaskan winters pretty well, as long as there isn't three feet of snow!

I have our GTI packed up for an event about three hours away (It's on a high school parking lot). Hoping it's a a course where the Gti can do well.

Some of alignment is preference and it usually takes an entire season to find your sweet spot.

I just bought and I'm not autocrossing my mk8 this year, but I previously ran two different mk7.5's in GS and they were competitive locally. I'll go setting by setting.

Front camber - not technically adjustable, but there is wiggle room. Most cars stock are -0.8 to -.09. If you loosen the top hat bolts and the ball joint nuts, you can get -0.9 to -1. Will it matter? Probably not, but this is Street, you've got to take advantage of every legal advantage.

Front toe. Everyone runs zero, because that's what VW did with the Mk7 CSS. Cool, but that car was setup for track, not autocross. I found .10 toe out each side to be better on turn in, but not so much front toe out that it caused mid corner issues or excessive wear for daily driving.

Rear negative camber - again, my recommendation is a little different than most people's. Most people are going with -1.5, but I ran the H&R 26mm bar and zero toe rear, with toe out at the front, and I found -1.5 was undriveable in slaloms. I found -1.8 to be the perfect balance of rotation and driveability with my setup.

Rear toe. I ended up zero toe in the rear. The -1.8 camber allowed me to be aggressive in the transitions and zero toe allowed progressive rotation in sweepers.

All that being said, mk7.5 and mk8 have different spring rates, you have a different rear sway than i used and the aluminum front subframe has slightly moved the weight balance favorably for the mk8, so no matter what worked for me or someone else, your cars specs, driving style, tire choice and choice in sway bar will impact what works best for you.

TLDR - Front zero - .10 toe out. Rear -1.5 to -1.8 camber and zero to .10 toe in, but you'll need to start somewhere in those ranges and adjust to suit you.

Also, good choice of tire for GS. The lack of negative camber makes the stones a winner, but I will say, never start your alignment journey on new or worn tires. Should be a fresh set that have one or two good heat cycles. New tires have always been looser for me. Once they have a couple heat cycles and have full grip, the car will tighten up, that's when your want to really fine tune. Once the tires get too many heat cycles they tend to tighten up on turn in, and get looser in slaloms, so it's hard to tell what you need to adjust. Once tires start to wear, I use tire pressure to adjust handling and will be less aggressive on turn in. DON'T CHASE ALIGNMENT ON WORN TIRES. Ask me how I know it's futile. 🤣

Jmitchell4873

Go Kart Champion
Aren’t the offset front LCA bushings allowed in GS? That can add up to -0.5° IIRC.

If you can get away with slightly enlarging or slotting your upper strut mount and ball joint holes…….that could be another -0.5°

The Mk8 loves extra camber. I haven’t experimented with any crazy toe yet. I set my front at 1/32” of toe out last night, I’ll see how it acts on track today. I just can’t bring myself to add toe, when I know it accelerates tire wear. If I had a tire sponsor or was part of Tire Rack’s testing process…….then I’d be happy to test toe changes!