GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Which coil overs are best for my situation

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
034 replaces the stock strut mount, ohlins has its own bearing.

You want a strut spreader, strut to knuckle bolts (and the relevant triple square bit), outer axle bolts (with tools to unbolt and torque them properly, 24mm 12-point and a 40+" bar), and if you feel like following the manual to a T, new endlink and ball joint nuts. There's a bunch of hardware in the rear you should replace when you're taking springs out, but at a minimum, the lower wishbone to knuckle hardware, shock to lower wishbone hardware and the shock mount to chassis bolts. Manual would suggest the endlink hardware as well. Ball joints, endlinks, and shock mounts are also wear items easily replaced during this job, YMMV.

I'm not 100% sure if Ohlins or 034 comes with its own strut mount nut, but you'll want a pass-through socket so you can torque it down properly. I have this one: http://www.metalnerd.com/catalog/product/3a8d93bf5f724fad84fcb3bc5de6dec1 but I'd wait til you have the kit in your hands before ordering a tool, in case you need a different size.

You can also use a 2x4 and zing the strut nut on with an impact, it's your $2800 coilover kit.
Thank you, that was VERY helpful! I'm all set now, if I decide to upgrade the suspension instead of getting another car.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Get the Cayman, it's a no-fuck-around solution for an actual performance vehicle.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
You will never get the performance limits out of these cars vs a true sports car. It's simple physics.

If I didn't need practical but street driveable, a Cayman S or a C7 Grand Sport would be at the top of my list.

If you want a DEDICATED track car, something like a Rush SR1 is the way to go from a speed/consumables/ease of maintenance standpoint. Those things are an insane bargain if you have a truck and small trailer.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
You will never get the performance limits out of these cars vs a true sports car. It's simple physics.

If I didn't need practical but street driveable, a Cayman S or a C7 Grand Sport would be at the top of my list.

If you want a DEDICATED track car, something like a Rush SR1 is the way to go from a speed/consumables/ease of maintenance standpoint. Those things are an insane bargain if you have a truck and small trailer.
I mean that's really it with the MK7s...it's a compromise dual-use car and for that, it's great if you manage your expectations and are just having fun.

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Yeah this is so true. It's always about compromises. I don't want a dedicated track car because I don't go to the track enough. The tracks are too far from me. I have a few tracks around me, but they are all from 2.5 hrs away to 4 hrs away.
So I want it to be simple for me. I want to just drive there, have fun, and drive home. I'm very into driving dynamics and handling, so I like cars that feel like extensions of my body. The GTI is very capable, and I'm putting down some serious lap times. It's just that it doesn't feel good while doing it. I bought the 2023 BRZ to replace the GTI as a daily / track car, and thought it would be the perfect solution / compromise. Well, that failed because the BRZ's apparently have an oil pressure problem. So I bought the car, meticulously broke it in, and by the time I tracked it, all this information about oiling problems on the track came out, so now I have a car with 1,300 miles that I already have to get rid of! :(
I have had several Porsches in the past, one of them was a Boxster S, so I'm very familiar with them, and know what to expect out of the car. If I was just going after lap times, I would probably get a Corvette Z06, but I won't be happy with the "feel". I didn't like the feel of my Corvette, so got rid of it for the Boxster S.
As a matter of fact, I never intended to track the GTI, it just happened. I bought the GTI as a daily knock around car, because I drove my brothers, and I liked the DSG farts when shifting (I'm not kidding, that was the actual reason, lol). Then I bought an M2 to replace the GTI as my daily, and was intending to get rid of the GTI. However, I got this bright idea of just tracking it instead of getting rid of it, so I kept it, and it continued to be my bad weather daily / track car. I don't want to track the M2 because it's too special to me. They stopped making the M2 Comp and came up with a new model that I don't like at all, so I felt bad doing that to a car that was desirable to me (and many others). So here I am, not satisfied, but trying to figure out the next step to make me happy with a track car.
Man, I need a new hobby!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
Yeah this is so true. It's always about compromises. I don't want a dedicated track car because I don't go to the track enough. The tracks are too far from me. I have a few tracks around me, but they are all from 2.5 hrs away to 4 hrs away.
So I want it to be simple for me. I want to just drive there, have fun, and drive home. I'm very into driving dynamics and handling, so I like cars that feel like extensions of my body. The GTI is very capable, and I'm putting down some serious lap times. It's just that it doesn't feel good while doing it. I bought the 2023 BRZ to replace the GTI as a daily / track car, and thought it would be the perfect solution / compromise. Well, that failed because the BRZ's apparently have an oil pressure problem. So I bought the car, meticulously broke it in, and by the time I tracked it, all this information about oiling problems on the track came out, so now I have a car with 1,300 miles that I already have to get rid of! :(
I have had several Porsches in the past, one of them was a Boxster S, so I'm very familiar with them, and know what to expect out of the car. If I was just going after lap times, I would probably get a Corvette Z06, but I won't be happy with the "feel". I didn't like the feel of my Corvette, so got rid of it for the Boxster S.
As a matter of fact, I never intended to track the GTI, it just happened. I bought the GTI as a daily knock around car, because I drove my brothers, and I liked the DSG farts when shifting (I'm not kidding, that was the actual reason, lol). Then I bought an M2 to replace the GTI as my daily, and was intending to get rid of the GTI. However, I got this bright idea of just tracking it instead of getting rid of it, so I kept it, and it continued to be my bad weather daily / track car. I don't want to track the M2 because it's too special to me. They stopped making the M2 Comp and came up with a new model that I don't like at all, so I felt bad doing that to a car that was desirable to me (and many others). So here I am, not satisfied, but trying to figure out the next step to make me happy with a track car.
Man, I need a new hobby!
So on the BRZ....I wouldn't get so worked up about this oil pressure issue. You can remove the oil pan (or have dealer do it) and check for excessive RTV sealant that is known to slough off/block the oil pump pickup and hose the engine. You can also run a higher grade oil vs. the recommended 20 grade, a 30 or 40 to provide extra protection in these conditions. It sounds like (and sorry if this comes off the wrong way) you don't have an issue with the finances here so what is the real risk? The few failures that went viral after Toyota nixed the warranty claims ended up getting covered. Go have fun, those cars I bet are a blast on track.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
So on the BRZ....I wouldn't get so worked up about this oil pressure issue. You can remove the oil pan (or have dealer do it) and check for excessive RTV sealant that is known to slough off/block the oil pump pickup and hose the engine. You can also run a higher grade oil vs. the recommended 20 grade, a 30 or 40 to provide extra protection in these conditions. It sounds like (and sorry if this comes off the wrong way) you don't have an issue with the finances here so what is the real risk? The few failures that went viral after Toyota nixed the warranty claims ended up getting covered. Go have fun, those cars I bet are a blast on track.

So BRZs are the second most blown up car at TSCC events... Only to WRX/STIs...

The oiling stuff is definitely a real problem. Cameron (who runs with us) brought his mom's Miata out in December because his 23 GR86 shat out a rod at an autocross event before VIR.

It's a very real problem.

Also I know the guy (Blake) who initially went viral. His car has seen 2 more engines since the first replacement. He has sold the car...

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
As far as the BRZ, I considered saying screw it, I have a warranty and risking it. However, I'm a very unique person. I have this weird thing where I'm very anal with all the cars that I own, I treat them all the same, and it doesn't matter what they cost, or what type of car it is (my car friends make fun of me, lol). I always do my best taking care of them. So, with the BRZ, you can watch videos that show the car on the track with a monitor for the oil pressure, and the dips in pressure on righthanders are very real. Even with the RTV cleaned out, and baffled oil pans, etc there are pressure drops. The situation can be improved by using thicker oil, and over filling a little, etc, But I just want the car to do what it's supposed to do. My concern is mostly the silent damage that I can do to the car, where it will starve from oil, and wear out, but not blow up. Then I will eventually have a car that has 15,000 miles, but worn like it has 99,000 miles. Then, with my luck, it will blow when I'm out of warranty. Otherwise, I truly love that car. It's an absolute blast to drive on the street, and recommend it to anyone that wants a really fun (street) car! I also considered the Miata, for it's great balance and driving dynamics, and of course fun. But, I'm 6'1" and can't fit in it with the Helmet, and my head sticks up about 3" over the roll bar. I won't fit even if I get the seat lowering kit.
I am now looking for a car that I can leave totally stock (other than pads, fluid, tires), and enjoy it daily, then take it to the track and wring it out without worrying about a failure. Hence my decision to go forward with a Cayman.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
So BRZs are the second most blown up car at TSCC events... Only to WRX/STIs...

The oiling stuff is definitely a real problem. Cameron (who runs with us) brought his mom's Miata out in December because his 23 GR86 shat out a rod at an autocross event before VIR.

It's a very real problem.

Also I know the guy (Blake) who initially went viral. His car has seen 2 more engines since the first replacement. He has sold the car...
Holy shit man, worse that I was aware of!

tigeo

Autocross Champion
As far as the BRZ, I considered saying screw it, I have a warranty and risking it. However, I'm a very unique person. I have this weird thing where I'm very anal with all the cars that I own, I treat them all the same, and it doesn't matter what they cost, or what type of car it is (my car friends make fun of me, lol). I always do my best taking care of them. So, with the BRZ, you can watch videos that show the car on the track with a monitor for the oil pressure, and the dips in pressure on righthanders are very real. Even with the RTV cleaned out, and baffled oil pans, etc there are pressure drops. The situation can be improved by using thicker oil, and over filling a little, etc, But I just want the car to do what it's supposed to do. My concern is mostly the silent damage that I can do to the car, where it will starve from oil, and wear out, but not blow up. Then I will eventually have a car that has 15,000 miles, but worn like it has 99,000 miles. Then, with my luck, it will blow when I'm out of warranty. Otherwise, I truly love that car. It's an absolute blast to drive on the street, and recommend it to anyone that wants a really fun (street) car! I also considered the Miata, for it's great balance and driving dynamics, and of course fun. But, I'm 6'1" and can't fit in it with the Helmet, and my head sticks up about 3" over the roll bar. I won't fit even if I get the seat lowering kit.
I am now looking for a car that I can leave totally stock (other than pads, fluid, tires), and enjoy it daily, then take it to the track and wring it out without worrying about a failure. Hence my decision to go forward with a Cayman.
I've seen that video, great information/data on this issue.

SierraCarrera

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Sport, 981 CS
I have a 981 Cayman S, which I would highly recommend but also the GTI is more fun in general hehe. Cayman is sooo easy to drive hard tho and sounds amazing