GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Would I be crazy to trade my GTI for a Rabbit TDI?

thestig

Go Kart Newbie
The 2.0L TDI with 16 valves and DOHC seems interesting. They are racing it in Europe so it can't be bad. The newest version pumps out 170PS - that's 30PS shy of the GTI's 200PS but 20% more torque at 1800rpm. Good enough and the mileage would be close to double the 2.0L FSI motor.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
Wild Hare said:
Actually Bro, the VW Diesel gets better gas mileage (50-60MPG) and the battery in Prius when replaced will not be cost effective upwards of 5-7,000 (depending on availability--- so says a parts manager at a dealer here who's a friend).

Diesel is the way to go for best MPG. But I would not get rid of the GTI to get one.

A friend recently got a GIAC chip and Techtonics exhaust and got 40MPG in his GTI on the way home from the install.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Very interesting. I surely would have thought the hybrids would be getting a little better MPG. I knew that they are expensive though.

NYDUB

Drag Racing Champion
In the April 24th Autoweek the had a MPG Shootout in the real world where the Jetta TDI beat the Toyota Prius in overall MPG 49.9 verses 42 in real world conditions.

I HAVE given the TDI a thought and I wish the Golf/Rabbit GT with the TDI were sold here. My last Trip to England last year I had the chance to drive one of these and flat out loved it! The problem is that the TDI in New York State is almost impossible to find due to the Emissions constraints.

We also have to remember that this forum is about ALL MKV Golfs/Rabbits not just our Loved GTI.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
thestig said:
The 2.0L TDI with 16 valves and DOHC seems interesting. They are racing it in Europe so it can't be bad. The newest version pumps out 170PS - that's 30PS shy of the GTI's 200PS but 20% more torque at 1800rpm. Good enough and the mileage would be close to double the 2.0L FSI motor.

Double? check that.

Corleone

Go Kart Newbie
There are some points that I´d like to clarify:

1st) ALL TDI are TURBO. TDI = Turbo Diesel Injection;

2nd) The GTI is some kind of a legend. It isn´t just "another car". It can be for many people, right, but for those who really are "GTI addicted" it isn´t;

3rd) The actual price of gas is quite abnormal. Neverthless, I think that one can make same sacrifice and bet in economy. How? Don´t using the throtlle pedal as is used till now. Believe that it will make a big difference;

4th) I´ve passed from a TDI engine for the GTI, "my little boy", like I´m used to call it. I can assure you that I´ll keep this car forever. It is the best GTI that has been made among the 5 generations and it also marks a new development from VW;

5th and last) The GTI is history, tradition, way of living. Cult. TDI is fashinn, in Europe.

I want to help this history, that started 30 years ago.

Regards

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
first off...for the jerk that said "from the guy driving a hyundai"...i'm 20 and in college, excuse me if i can't afford my GTI yet...and i still stand by saying that the GTI is not as fast as everyone thinks. i still love them and will want one after i graduate and can afford it, but it is for it's pracitacality, handling, and quickness...definitely not for it's speed. if i wanted something fast, i'd be driving my friend's 1990 Corrado 16V turbo with 300 whp.

and tdi is not turbo diesel injection...it's turbo DIRECT injection.

101st_IanC

Autocross Newbie
I looked at the TDI quite long and hard as I needed to economise. We had a child on the way and the TT was in no way a practical car.
I knew the 170bhp would be coming and that it was "nearly" the same horsepower and more torque.. Thats what my head said..
My heart took over though. The GTi is not bought to be cost effective - its bought to be fun.
GTi was enough of a compromise for me (and my wife agreed for once)..

I understand both sides of the arguement - question is does your head rule or your heart rule..
GTI is a car for enthusiasts
TDI is a car for cost-conscious people.

BTW TDI DSG does not get the steering wheel paddles if that matters

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
smp85 said:
first off...for the jerk that said "from the guy driving a hyundai"...i'm 20 and in college, excuse me if i can't afford my GTI yet...and i still stand by saying that the GTI is not as fast as everyone thinks. i still love them and will want one after i graduate and can afford it, but it is for it's pracitacality, handling, and quickness...definitely not for it's speed. if i wanted something fast, i'd be driving my friend's 1990 Corrado 16V turbo with 300 whp.

Funny thing is, I traded a Hyundai Accent in on my GTI, so I know a thing or two about living within your means. That said, we're arguing over something that is pretty subjective. Fast to you may not be fast to the guy riding a Hayabusa. I say, for the money, a GTI is a fast car.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
smp85 said:

I bet you haven't even driven a GTI before. I've driven both and compared to a TDI the GTI is FAST, the TDI has torque but it doesn't have the same speedy nature as the GTI.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
listen...i didnt want this to turn into a huge argument, but when that guy called me out on my car, it got personal. i know you didnt say it hotlanta...but to answer your question, i have driven a MkV, ive driven an M3, ive even driven an RS6 before (right place in the right time on that one)...but my point is that the GTI is supposed to be an all-around fun car to drive, not just meant for all out speed...with mods, yes the GTI can be very fast, but as stock...it's quick, but not mind-blowing fast. can you agree with me on that?

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
and getting back on track with auf's original question...you do what you want. dont listen to any of us...test drive a TDI when the come out and you see if you can sacrifice the loss of power to save some cash. if you think you will be able to deal with it, then get it...if not, stay with the GTI. either way i think you will be satisfied, in different ways of course.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
smp85 said:
listen...i didnt want this to turn into a huge argument, but when that guy called me out on my car, it got personal. i know you didnt say it hotlanta...but to answer your question, i have driven a MkV, ive driven an M3, ive even driven an RS6 before (right place in the right time on that one)...but my point is that the GTI is supposed to be an all-around fun car to drive, not just meant for all out speed...with mods, yes the GTI can be very fast, but as stock...it's quick, but not mind-blowing fast. can you agree with me on that?

yes I agree with that. It's definetly easier to categorize it as quick and not mind blowingly fast. Mind blowingly fast costs bread...it's all around fun, and the TDI is not all around fun, it's all around economy. Stay Up.

:headbang: