GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Zillon's United Grey Build - '13 GTI

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Just placed a $125 supply order on Autogeek. Been meaning to place this order for a while.

Sonax wheel cleaner w/Daytona speed brush
Scratch-X 2.0 (I use this as my quick go-to for minor imperfections)
Polishing pal w/4 3.5" pads
Prima Amigo pre-wax polish/glaze
Prima Epic synthetic wax
Pre-Wow for removing wax residue from black plastic
Poorboy's Spray 'n Wipe

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Looking like the first round of mods/parts will be getting ordered this week:
- Newsouth vent boost gauge kit
- Euro headlight switch
- Euro short shifter
- Depo dark cherry LED tails
- Thule fit kit for my roof rack

Also starting to put together a tool list:
- 30mm 12 point socket
- 14mm triple-square
- 18mm triple-square
- Strut spreader tool
- 21mm deep-offset wrench

Anything else that's a crucial VW-specific tool that I'll need for general maintenance/oil changes/suspension work?

Last edited:

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
looks like you're off to a good start, nut spread tool add to the list cuz i know you're going to drop this thing :) or you could make one

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
looks like you're off to a good start, nut spread tool add to the list cuz i know you're going to drop this thing :) or you could make one

You mean the strut spreader?

I've been borrowing one, since I actually needed it for the Focus too, but thanks for the reminder. Added. Also adding a 21mm deep offset wrench, too.

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
You mean the strut spreader?

I've been borrowing one, since I actually needed it for the Focus too, but thanks for the reminder. Added. Also adding a 21mm deep offset wrench, too.

ya thats what i meant haha, damn these meds from being sick have me loopy

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Holding off on the oil filters and Fumoto valve for now; first oil change is a little ways out yet.

Since I'm going to be rooting around under the dash anyway, I ordered in a euro headlight switch instead.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
First few oil changes are free anyway good call

Although I'm on a 5k interval cycle

I'll be going with the 5k cycle as well, but my commute is only 16 miles round trip. So, first change is at least a month out yet; I'll stock up on filters later.

5k probably takes 2 weeks for you. :D

svickstc

Go Kart Champion
I'll be going with the 5k cycle as well, but my commute is only 16 miles round trip. So, first change is at least a month out yet; I'll stock up on filters later.

5k probably takes 2 weeks for you. :D

haha i change my oil once a month :( Motul and OEM filter

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
haha i change my oil once a month :( Motul and OEM filter

Damn, and I was kidding. That's a lot of driving!

So, I redid my license plate bolts tonight. I wasn't satisfied with the screw-job the dealer did, one screw was perfect, the other was way crooked. Plate was straight though, which was important. Since straightening the crooked screw out required another hole next to the crooked one they made, I decided to get creative and find a better solution.

I picked up some 6mmx1.00 well nuts from Lowes and using the center of the plate holes, drilled some 12mm holes in the bumper. I smeared a small bit of silicone on the well nuts, and inserted them into the holes I drilled.

How they work:

Right now I just have a set of zinc-plated phillips-head screws in there, but at some point I'll order some stainless Torx screws to replace them. Regardless, this is a much better solution than simply screwing the self-tapping screws into the plastic.

I also picked up a 1" hole plug to complete the wiper delete.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Rear glass-scratcher deleted today. I was considering one of those fancy plugs from ECS or otherwise, but a 1" plastic hole plug does the same job and looks just fine.

I also seem to have a defect in the windshield glass, between the layers of the glass. I thought they didn't detail it well enough the night I picked it up, but I thoroughly cleaned all the glass on the car last night and applied Rain-X, and the marks are still there.

It almost looks like a sweat smear from someone's forearm, but after looking at it with my LED worklight, it's definitely between the glass layers in the windshield. I'd probably let it go if it weren't directly at eye-level on the driver's side; it's not fun with oncoming traffic at night. I'll have to bring this up when I take the car in for the 20 day check at the end of the month.

Aside from that, I broke 500 miles.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion

First coat of wax.

I've been a long-time user of Meguiars cleaner paste carnauba wax, but I figured I'd try something different with this car, since I finally kicked the tin of cleaner wax after 6 years. Prima products seem to be pretty well regarded in the online detailing community, so I ordered Prima Amigo and Prima Epic from Autogeek. Amigo is their pre-wax glaze & polish, and Epic is their synthetic liquid wax.

I didn't quite get the cure time I wanted tonight (Prima recommends 30 minutes), so I'll probably follow up with a second coat of wax next week. Compared to the Meguiars, though, it's a bitch to apply, because you can't always see where you applied it, and on the United Grey paint, it's tough to see if you've removed all of it. I'll have to examine my work in the daylight tomorrow.

Last edited:

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Ordered a fumoto valve off of amazon tonight, since I was ordering a single-DIN install kit for my girlfriend's car.

Went with the F-106, no nipple, no adapter. Trying to gain as much clearance as I can under the pan.

Zillon

Go Kart Champion
Jumping on the Neuspeed GB and getting a rear sway.

Still trying to decide on oil, but I suppose I can't really go wrong with Mobil 1 0w40.

Also starting to plan the suspension out. I think I'm going to go with Bilsteins over Konis, but I'm still on the fence. However, here's the list I have currently.

- DG Springs
- Bilstein B8 dampers or Koni Yellows
- TT strut mounts
- SKF strut bearings
- Neuspeed 25mm RSB