GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Door & speaker picks

plac

GTI Master
loccusst said:
The measurments to build anything for the 7" replacement and give you clearance for the door track is 7" wide by 2" depth. 2" is the distance from the top of the factory speaker to the metal door. Happy fabricating everyone!!!

The spacer itself looks about 2". Are you saying the speaker doesnt go into the door at all?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I believe you have a total of 2.8" with 2" between the inner door and the door panel.

A41.8QTM

That's what she said
Car(s)
2008 GTI
So how much clearance does that give you? And i assume you've test fit the door panel back on with the speaker mounted? That spot looks perfect for something like the eD EU-700 mid (3.7" depth) playing up to maybe 300HZ on an active X-over and a nice set of 4.5" components in the other locations.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Hey Plac is that a front door or is that a rear door in a five door?

plac

GTI Master
That was just an example of the spacers you would need to install some deeper speakers.

its a 2004 jetta rear door.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I finally swapped out the 7" factory speakers in the front doors in my car. They are actually 4 ohm speakers from the factory...I was wrong. Man I hate riveted speakers!!

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
Loccusst
I was on the EMMA site today and spotted something interesting i thought you may like to see too.

from
http://www.emmanet.com/products/index.htm

"the The Golf V - System von Audio System
X--ION 200 Golf V

Audio System presented it´s new Golf V Speaker System with the following Spezifications

- 3-Way special for Golf V
- Two 25mm Plug and Play Tweeter
- Two 120 mm Kevlarneodym Midrange
- Two 200 mm Neodymsubwoofer with Adapter
- Two 3- Way Plug and Play Cable- Crossover

Estimated price 300.- Euro

for further information please check >> www.audio-system.de "

AJW

Go Kart Newbie
Interesting info on the Audio-system 3 way speakers Geoff.
Have you heard any of their speakers before? Seems like a small company.

I think I remember you also talking about a 3 way system by Rainbow.
Have you heard the Rainbow system in a Golf?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Nice find. I wonder if the tweeters have a variable loudness selector. I have that on my Type R setup and love it. I can adjust the tweeters so they are not over powering my mids right on the crossover. This looks to be decent plug and play upgrade. One of my installers and I tuned my set up finally with the center channel from Alpine. We sat in the car for about 30 min afterwards watching the last fight scene from Top Gun. It was rather Amazing sounding with all the speakers in the car. I am sitting with the Type R 6 1/2 seperate components in the doors. The Pioneer 4" mid in the doors. Alpine center channel right below the deck. Factory in the rear. Two Type R 10" in the hatch. Running a Alpine 4 channel for the front doors and center speaker. Two Mono 600 watt amps for the 10" subs. It sounds sweet!!! This car has great potential for a killer sounding system. Right now I will probably watch movies on lunch out in my car at work.

snoopy

Touring Car Newbie
AJW said:

http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/overview.php?lan=2&pro=1&lin=12&kfz=1004

I posted pics somewere else on here.

Its an ok set but expensive for what it is imho.
It also took a bit of angle adjsutment to get the tweeter to sound right. The 2 crossover boxes per door is a pain too.

Before I start screwing things up on a Brand New Car, is there a bar for the handle to open the door behind the panel? Or does the whole thing just pop off?

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
It is a cable not a bar. You have to pop off the armrest covers to get to two screws...don't forget those.

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
AJW said:

AJW, I've found a place which sells the Rainbow 3 way system for our Golf in Sydney, they're called Precision Installations (http://www.precisioninstallations.com.au/). I was talking to the Australian distributor on another forum and I'll probably be going to check it out in the next couple weeks. I'll let you know how it goes as Im trying to get them to hook it up so that I can have a listen. The RRP for the 3 ways is $795 AUD.