GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chipping voiding warranty

MyFast

Passed Driver's Ed
sorry to wake the dead with this post but fortunetly my salesperson who is also the owner of the dealership said he does not void warranty for chipping the gti as his is chipped as well....a perk i guess? not every dealer will be this cool.

chopstik

Ready to race!
MyFast said:
sorry to wake the dead with this post but fortunetly my salesperson who is also the owner of the dealership said he does not void warranty for chipping the gti as his is chipped as well....a perk i guess? not every dealer will be this cool.

look at it this way, if you blow your turbo, upgrade to a bigger one:evil:

at least that's what i plan on doing

MyFast

Passed Driver's Ed
chopstik said:
look at it this way, if you blow your turbo, upgrade to a bigger one:evil:

at least that's what i plan on doing
speaking of our turbo, what kind of turbo are these cars equipped with?

FunkyD

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MKV GTI
In Taiwan, if you upgrade your chip for outside of the dealer(our dealer provide warranty for the ABT tuning only). If you use other chip tunning like mtm, skn and so on. You will lose the warranty.(they can tell when you go back for maintenance, because they will find out when they test drive it). Maybe you can try some external chip tuning box like speed buster or the REVO chip which their singal won't go through the main computer in your car. The main reason why the dealer do not like you tuning up your chip because the DSG transmission can only carry on max. 40.6. If your hourse power too big, it will cause the transmission system. the other reason is because the car computer in the car manage too many thing. It will cause a lot of fault signals in your car.

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
FunkyD said:
In Taiwan, if you upgrade your chip for outside of the dealer(our dealer provide warranty for the ABT tuning only). If you use other chip tunning like mtm, skn and so on. You will lose the warranty.(they can tell when you go back for maintenance, because they will find out when they test drive it). Maybe you can try some external chip tuning box like speed buster or the REVO chip which their singal won't go through the main computer in your car. The main reason why the dealer do not like you tuning up your chip because the DSG transmission can only carry on max. 40.6. If your hourse power too big, it will cause the transmission system. the other reason is because the car computer in the car manage too many thing. It will cause a lot of fault signals in your car.

FunkyD, what do you mean by "40.6"? Someone on the forum was asking before how much power the DSG transmission can handle. I guess 40.6 is some kind of limit?

z3speed4me

Go Kart Champion
if i dealer told me he found out i had a chip because he test drove it...id prob blow up on him for rippin on my car...bc you know thats the only way hed know is if he gave it hard full throttle

apr chip gives you multiple settings (if you pay more)

one of the settings is stock... as long as you put your car back to stock they wont be able to tell with a test drive (so dont forget).:laugh:
there is also a security code you can enter so that the dealer wont be able to access the program even if they know how the chip works.
the security setting will look completely normal until the code is entered.

there is also a vallet setting to make the car slower :w00t:

35NYR

Ready to race!
JJ-R32 said:
FunkyD, what do you mean by "40.6"? Someone on the forum was asking before how much power the DSG transmission can handle. I guess 40.6 is some kind of limit?

I'm curious too because that will be important in whether I get a manual or not - if the DSG has some limit on how much power it can handle

cmdrfire

FIA World Rally Car Champion
35NYR said:
I'm curious too because that will be important in whether I get a manual or not - if the DSG has some limit on how much power it can handle

The DSG has the same tolerances as the Manual, at least in terms of any ECU modifications currently available in the European (and I would assume US) market.
I believe that the DSG does have a maximum torque limit, it's late and the exact number eludes me, but this is fairly high, certainly beyond what anyone's offering at the moment (IIRC AMD do the highest available remap w/ their stage 3 (including exhaust) to something like 270bhp and they add 50lb/ft of torque to what the car already has, the same upgrade for DSG as well as manual); remember, the DSG gearbox is very similar to that used in the Bugatti Veyron.
I know that a few places like Oetingger used to do a special DSG remap with a little less torque back when they first started remapping Audi DSG cars but I don't know if they still continue this practice with the Mk5 GTI.
As to problems getting a remap/chip with DSG... let me assure you from personal experience that there are no problems :biggrin:

Sauceboy01

Touring Car Newbie
MAlby7 said:
From what I understand is that whatever part breaks on your car they have to prove that it's a direct result of the prt you modified. If you chip your GTI and your wiper motor burns out then there's no way it can be the chips fault.

Bingo! :thumbup: :headbang:

Dubdr

Rally Car Champion
There is a problem though. Due to the fact the the chip is located with the ecm box, they can say that even opening that box can make your wiper motor blow. As far as warranties... suspension, exhaust, and brakes are the only thing you can really get away with.
I don't think I have ever seen a car that was chipped get away with warranty work. It sucks I know!!! But that is how they make money.

Accel

Rally Car Champion
Dubdr said:
There is a problem though. Due to the fact the the chip is located with the ecm box, they can say that even opening that box can make your wiper motor blow. QUOTE]

Most, if not all chips now are reflashes, they dont require any physical access to the ECU.

Even so, my VW dealer has replaced the turbo on my TDI no questions asked, even though it is and has been chipped since new, and a hard chip, not an ECU reflash.

To clarify anyway, the turbo blew because about a year prior to it happeneing, I was involved in an accident that looked purely cosmetic, but it starved the turbo of oil for about 5 minutes of use.

cmcm

Drag Racing Champion
could that be a little different than you guys think?

I thought since the VW mechanics make money from the service, the cars that under warranty VW will pay the dealers, right? no matter what they will get paid. If the warranty were voided, the customers may not leave the cars at the dealers, instead they will bring the cars to outsiders and get quotes. However, unless the dealers want the money from the customers directly.
It may not be true, just my personal opinion.:w00t: