GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Would I be crazy to trade my GTI for a Rabbit TDI?

vDubr

myfastismycopilot
Car(s)
2008 Audi TT
Don't get me wrong. I love the looks/performance of my GTI but I think, for now, I'd prefer the practicality of the TDI. There's just a few things that I know I'll miss from the GTI besides the performance aspect of it. 1) the steering wheel, 2) the sporty high bolster leather seats, 3) the bi-xenon headlights, and 4) DSG!

Will any of these be carried over to the TDI as options??

And does anyone have any info on pricing, availability, etc. on the NA Rabbit TDI?

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
Sober Up bro. The Rabbit is the GTI's fruity roomate. You know the one that bitches about drinking out of the milk carton, and bangs on your door when your busy banging something else. DON't Do it... The Wife and Kids aren't worth it...R they?

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
Auf Wiedersehen! said:
Don't get me wrong. I love the looks/performance of my GTI but I think, for now, I'd prefer the practicality of the TDI. There's just a few things that I know I'll miss from the GTI besides the performance aspect of it. 1) the steering wheel, 2) the sporty high bolster leather seats, 3) the bi-xenon headlights, and 4) DSG!

And does anyone have any info on pricing, availability, etc. on the NA Rabbit TDI?

first of all, we wont get the TDI for 07...probably will come to us in 08. as for the options, the only thing that you would be able to get in the rabbit would be the DSG, because the MkV jetta's have TDI with DSG right now. if gas prices continue, if you can sacrifice the performance and fun factor, you would not be crazy at all.

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
Sober Up bro. The Rabbit is the GTI's fruity roomate. You know the one that bitches about drinking out of the milk carton, and bangs on your door when your busy banging something else. DON't Do it... The Wife and Kids aren't worth it...R they?

dude, i'm sorry, but you need a history lesson. the rabbit is not the GTI's fruity roomate. the RABBIT GTI is the Rabbit's jacked up brother. the GTI was always the Rabbit GTI or Golf GTI until the mid 90's when VW decided to market the GTI as a separate car, and not just a trim level of a rabbit/golf.

with the way gas prices are, if it gets up to 5.00/gallon here, he would be laughing at you when he is getting 55 or 60 mpg on the highway and you are getting only half of that.

MHS216

Anchors Aweigh
Car(s)
UG GTI 2006
You wouldn't be crazy, it just would kinda be backwards thinking.

If you're looking for good gas mileage, consider a Prius. These cars are meant to be driven, hard.

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
smp85 said:
dude, i'm sorry, but you need a history lesson. the rabbit is not the GTI's fruity roomate. the RABBIT GTI is the Rabbit's jacked up brother. the GTI was always the Rabbit GTI or Golf GTI until the mid 90's when VW decided to market the GTI as a separate car, and not just a trim level of a rabbit/golf.

with the way gas prices are, if it gets up to 5.00/gallon here, he would be laughing at you when he is getting 55 or 60 mpg on the highway and you are getting only half of that.

Oh I'm sorry, is he thinking about trading up to a Rabbit GTI? I didn't know they were re-making that classic. For some reason I was under the impression that he was thinking of the GOLF, which is being branded RABBIT here in the US. You know the one with NO honeycomb grill, NO Turbo, and NO Ballz. I don't think a TDI owner would be laughing when I fly bye on the highway in my GTI, while he put puts in his GREEN MACHINE. You want to save the planet, vote Green Party. No offense of course, just heated rheteric.

:headbang:

Rabbit GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
a GTI.
HotLanta MKfizzle said:
Oh I'm sorry, is he thinking about trading up to a Rabbit GTI? I didn't know they were re-making that classic. For some reason I was under the impression that he was thinking of the GOLF, which is being branded RABBIT here in the US. You know the one with NO honeycomb grill, NO Turbo, and NO Ballz. I don't think a TDI owner would be laughing when I fly bye on the highway in my GTI, while he put puts in his GREEN MACHINE. You want to save the planet, vote Green Party. No offense of course, just heated rheteric.

you can't be serious...when a TDI owner is paying half as much for gas as you, and paying less for the car to begin with, he will be laughing at you. the cars are identical, you said it yourself. only difference is a honeycomb grille, a different suspension, a turbo, and some sport bolstered seats. they are the same car, just different trim lines...i know that's not the official stance anymore, but it still is.

and jeez, anyone with half a brain knows the perfomance upgrades with the GTI, but maybe the guy is worried about being able to afford to drive his car in a few years. when it all comes down to it, if you want a fast car, you are driving the wrong car. you can say its as fast as you want, but it is not. a fast car is an RS4 or a 911.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
ok...i will input my 2 cents

gas prices arent going to be coming down anytime soon...and if u disagree u might want to think about how much gas was when u started driving

that being said....u start making comprimises over what u are driving and u will continue to do that for the rest of your driving years

so u get rid of your pretty good MPG GTi for a real good MPG TDI...and thats it u have started the visious cycle...granted i can totally understand that u have to make some sort of sacrafices when it comes to things that cost an arm and a leg but i just dont think its a smart idea

u can always buy a junker 2nd car for a couple grand...maybe an older camery or civic or something that gets better mpg than the GTI but less than the TDI...that way u can put reg gas in it and go

also u have to look at the actual price of gas...desiel goes for just about the same price as 89octane or even as high as 93octane...and yes i know u can get farther on a TDI gastank than u can on a GTI gastank...but u are still spending the same at the pump just not as often...so the GTI gets 3 tanks a month the TDI gets 2

im sure u know what im saying...i just think it would be smarter to buy a 2nd car that u dont have to make payments on and that gets better mpg than the GTI

p.s-if this post didnt make sense excuse me...i have one of the worse headaches ive ever had

Last edited:

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
MHS216 said:
You wouldn't be crazy, it just would kinda be backwards thinking.

If you're looking for good gas mileage, consider a Prius. These cars are meant to be driven, hard.
Actually Bro, the VW Diesel gets better gas mileage (50-60MPG) and the battery in Prius when replaced will not be cost effective upwards of 5-7,000 (depending on availability--- so says a parts manager at a dealer here who's a friend).

Diesel is the way to go for best MPG. But I would not get rid of the GTI to get one.

A friend recently got a GIAC chip and Techtonics exhaust and got 40MPG in his GTI on the way home from the install.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Teknophreak

Rally Car Champion
smp85 said:
when it all comes down to it, if you want a fast car, you are driving the wrong car. you can say its as fast as you want, but it is not. a fast car is an RS4 or a 911.

This from a guy driving a Hyundai Elantra. A 911 is a little bit more than just fast. It's tire melting, synapse frying, time warping fast. The GTI is a fast car. It's nowhere near 911 fast, but it doesn't cost you 90 large, either.

Now that that is taken care of, I'll be happy to take your GTI off your hands. I guess it all depends on how much you drive and your financial situation. Hope you can keep the GTI though, gas isn't THAT expensive. (unless you have a long commute or something)

HotLanta MKfizzle

Formula 5000 Driver
smp85 said:
you can't be serious...when a TDI owner is paying half as much for gas as you, and paying less for the car to begin with, he will be laughing at you. the cars are identical, you said it yourself. only difference is a honeycomb grille, a different suspension, a turbo, and some sport bolstered seats. they are the same car, just different trim lines...i know that's not the official stance anymore, but it still is.

and jeez, anyone with half a brain knows the perfomance upgrades with the GTI, but maybe the guy is worried about being able to afford to drive his car in a few years. when it all comes down to it, if you want a fast car, you are driving the wrong car. you can say its as fast as you want, but it is not. a fast car is an RS4 or a 911.

First things First, I'm not trying to argue with you, just debate in a spirited fashion. That being said, I must disagree with your position. I'm not talking about "FAST" I'm talking about FUN. I doubt driving a TDI anything is fun. Were talking 7 grand here between the 2 cars. Your statement about the RS4 and 911 is ridiculous because those cars have a much larger price/performance ratio than the GTI/GOLF. You tell me which scenario is more likely to happen.

#1: I pull up to the pump in a GTI and begin to re-fuel using premium grade stuff, a Golf pulls up (with kids pressing noses onto the glass) and the owner steps out (in his dockers and boat shoes) and begins to laugh at me for purchasing the hottest hatch around, asks me how much HP i'm puttin out, and then rolls his eye's when I ansewer 250 w/ 300 + Torque. "But I bet you can't be the designated car-pooler for a week without re-filling." is his reply.

#2: I pull up to the pump in a GTI and begin to re-fuel using premium grade stuff, a Golf pulls up (with kids pressing noses onto the glass) and the owner steps out (in his dockers and boat shoes), begins pumping his DIESEL and say's "that car must be fun." I reply "yeah it's pretty quick but god dang I love the sound of that Diesel." We both have a chuckle, he rolls off and has a wet-dream about his day's of driving performance vehicles, I add a no mini-van/diesel clunker clause into my pre-nup.

"Now tell me....if that's a fact, am I lying." - D Hopper True Romance

GTI2007

HotLanta MKfizzle said:

No to be picky but they call it a TDI which stands for TURBOdiesel. In Europe these diesels do have a turbo. The 140 HP TDI version makes even more torque stock than the GTI. Ok, it's not as fast as a GTI but it has serious better mileage. For some people that is more important than going fast.

GTI2007

Auf Wiedersehen! said:

In Europe the TDI's have the bi-xenon headlights and the DSG as options. They have a sport steering wheel but not the same of the GTI and the same sport seats, I guess, as the plaid versions of the NA GTI sport seats. Hopefully for you the NA TDI's will get the same sort of options.