GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

disabling drl (daytime running lights) please help

h82bslo

Autocross Newbie
hey guys,
did a search and can't find anyone that have disabled the daytime running lights for the gti. just wondering if any of you have disabled the daytime running lights?
correct me if i'm wrong, i think there are more options on the light switch for the euro gti.
i do understand it's the law to for you canadian guys, but i really don't want to run my HID's all the time until i have to.
thanks

JJ-R32

Administrator
Staff member
You can do this with VagCom (http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/hex-usb+can.html)

Use the following coding:

Select 09 (Central Electronics)
Long Coding -> Function 07

Original Coding:
17078E234004180000140000001400000028770B5C

Working with byte 00:
17 = 00010111, drl off = 00000111 = hex 07

New coding:
07078E234004180000140000001400000028770B5C

Dubdr

Rally Car Champion
Technically you aren't supposed to remove the DTR. Due to that fact that they are considered a saftey feature it is again the law to tamper with them. I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless you get a ass for a cop.

h82bslo

Autocross Newbie
was just in the garage looking at members pix and saw that one of the members have removed the DRL using the euro switch. i wonder where i can find that.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Well....you could just find the wire that sends the signal to the DRL from the E-brake. The E-brake is a ground wire. I would asume that you would meerly have to just ground the wire. One of these days I will check and figure it out. Probably the same time I put my alarm and remote start on.

JT_GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Dubdr said:
Technically you aren't supposed to remove the DTR. Due to that fact that they are considered a saftey feature it is again the law to tamper with them. I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless you get a ass for a cop.

Heya Dubdr, would you happen to have a link or some proof that it's against the law to disable daytime headlights? The reason I am asking is that I am trying to get the dealership to disable based on the fact that in the US it is NOT against the law. If it is, in fact illegal, I will stop trying to get the dealer to do it for me.
As far as I know though (without proof) it is not illegal because that would require all cars to have this installed at the factory. It is, however VW's policy to install them

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
It isn't a Federal law. All cars would have to have them here in the states if it was. Each state is differant though...might be why all the cars come with them. Easier to just have them all have them here in NA instead of doing it at the dealerships. Not sure.

BMWDavid

Drag Racing Champion
I tried the Steve-Hall site but no one replied to my request for help. This is so frustrating! I want my DRL's off and the dealer and VW are insulting me by saying its the law when we all know it is not.

Please, anyone in Indy or Chicago that can disable my DRL's so I can install my Euro switch?

Thanks

David

BMWDavid

Drag Racing Champion
Don't feel like spending the $700-$900 that a VAG-COM cost. For me it would be a one time shot to change settings on my GTI.

David