GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Audio Upgrade?

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I'm running an Alpine 9815 right now, Boston acoustic speakers (not amped) sounds fine w/o going def...and a Kenwood 9102 Mono Amp powering a pair of Polk Momo Championship series subs (10")

Thumpdaddy

Passed Driver's Ed
loccusst said:
Maybe 8", 6 1/2", and tweeter? Probably just 6 1/2", 51/4", and tweeter. I was thinking about taking my doors apart tomorrow at work. I will let you know what I find if I do.
Hey man, if you take your doors off to see, I would really appreciate that. I want to know so I can decide what speakers to buy when I get my GTI.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
K...the speakers are tweeter in the mirror panel, 4" attached to the door panel, and a 8" riveted to the door itself. The door itself is solid, as in solid piece of metal. No real need for dynamat. The sub sticks out about 3" from the door itself in a plastic tube that is actually part of the sub. The door panel is held on with three torque screws on the bottom of the panel and one high in the door jam. The arm rest cover has to come off because two larger torque screws are behinde it....the rest is panel pops. The mirror pod is held on with one torque screw and some panel pops....the door panel has to come off first. There are three wires that go into the speakers not two like normal. red, yellow, and white for the door panel speaker. The white and yellow are actually connected when the speaker is plugged in. The tweeter is two black and one black/red. All speakers are 4ohm from what I could tell.

etang789

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Hmm weird stock speaker set up. If you would can someone post some pics or possibily putting a DIY together for speaker and headunit install... but what is the headunit dash kit i still cannot find who makes that.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I can't seem to find out the kit either. I took pics of my door apart and of the speakers. I will try to post them tomorrow.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Thanks.

Thumpdaddy

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks man, that is quite helpful. If anyone has switched out the door and backside speakers, please let us know.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Switching out the front speakers is easy....except for the 8" sub. I think I will just forget it or eliminate it when I put in my two TypeR 10" in the hatch. I already posted pics and a how to remove the door on another thread.

plac

GTI Master
loccusst said:
I already posted pics and a how to remove the door on another thread.

Except your pics dont even work...

Send em to me so i can host em.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I fixed em......so check em out. The door is one solid piece.

LivEToDrivE

FIA World Rally Car Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Two type R 10's are a bit much, for a hatchback and power, assuming your using a sealed box, for the sub part, I'm running a Kenwood Mono 9102 Amp, and two Polk Momo Championship series subs, running 250W each, not their full potential
If any of you are looking for a good sub, w/o destroying your internals, dont get me wrong the Type R is great, but one 10 or 12 depending on music preference should suffice

plac

GTI Master
loccusst said:
I fixed em......so check em out. The door is one solid piece.

ya that door looks really solid and easy to dynamat. Which is needed cuz thats where my rattles come from when theres too much bass.

hmmm.. i been tired of building stereos for a long time... but this is a tempting project. I hate scratching up all my brand new panels though. and i hate not having an ISO mount for a deck. Does this car need to use the cage mount like the MKIV's did?

so you could either do the same triple setup like a lot of 3 ways come, tweet/mid/mid-bass in stock locations. Or you could use a sweet MDF adapter in the 8" hole and use a killer 6.5" component. But with its very rear location it might be a terrible front stage. I would only put Focals in any car I build, my fav speakers of all time. I liked them more then my Dynaudio. Any enthusiast will know these names and know why they're worth $500+ a set.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I wouldn't put a 6.5 in the 8" local. The stageing would be horible. I am ordering the dash kit today and it is a cage style mount. I like the iso style myself when it comes to anti theft.

plac

GTI Master
wonder about that Euro headunit "upgrade".... i really like OEM look and fit personally. I could give up the SAT in the headunit since it doesnt work much anyway. I wonder if the Sportster harness from my MKIV would work the same in the MK5.