GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox Upgrade Information Post!

IC202

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Hey Guys, New here and new to the GTI. Your write-ups have been great. Just purchased a 2020 SE and have been looking for information all over the net for the best stereo upgrade options. I have installed many aftermarket systems on past cars but I just don't have the bandwidth to mess with it on my new GTI. Was thinking of having the dealer install the Helix sub or have a pro audio shop install a spare tire sub, new door speakers, amp , dsp. It looks like no one does this though. Seems everyone is going with the helix (even if they change the door speakers later) Is there a reason for this? I mean outside of trying to save money with a DYI.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Head unit. You lose a lot of functions that can only be toggled with the OEM head unit if you swap them out for better compatibility with aftermarket speakers.

Good read from Crutchfield about an Alltrack upgrade and why they went through the trouble to rewire everything with items that work with the stock head unit:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-dfTGvJZjT5o/learn/upgrading-the-sound-in-a-vw-golf-alltrack.html

Edit: Also, the Helix install is suuuuuuuper easy to do yourself. You need maybe $12 in tools with a depin and radio keys, the rest is just pulling trim and zip tie in the harness. Can honestly be done in an hour or less if you're familiar with pulling trim and not afraid. A lot of good videos on it too. Plus you'd be amazed at the sound change it causes over stock. I recently did my install and programmed it to 60, I can't believe these are the same stock speakers I was using before.

Double edit: I also believe you can keep your spare with the GTI if you do the longer spare bolt and raise the subfloor to the high position. I think I recall reading it still hits, but just barely. Sportwagen can fit both, so I just bought the longer spare bolt and a second lock nut. Put the helix on the floor and mounted the spare ontop and buttoned it up.

Last edited:

IC202

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Thanks for the info! I definitely want to keep the OEM infotainment intact. Sounds like installing the helix will be easier than past installs I've done. Does the helix and proper programming really make the OEM speakers sound better or are aftermarket speakers a must also?

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
It's all going to be opinion based on personal preference. To me after doing the Helix install it sounds compariable to my MK6 R with Upgraded sound system from the factory, or my Bose factory system in the Kia I had for a bit. Stock IMO wasn't HORRIBLE, you couldn't go very loud before you'd notice distortion and yeah it's kinda flat in a lot of areas, but it wasn't bluetooth speaker on the dash bad.

With the Helix, again IMO, the sound system sounds much more alive and less flat. The bass is fuller through the rear door speakers and blends nicely with the thump and vibration from the woofers in the back. The tweeters in the pillars still kinda get frequencies they shouldn't.. but honestly I'm thinking of just installing some base blockers to see if that helps. Granted you have a 2020 (facelift) and a different speaker set up I believe, so my opinion really only matters on the install here. I've got the pre-facelift 8 speaker system with base MIB2 in the GSW.

Edit: To me as I got my helix for 35% off and took advantage of the 15% cash back VW accessory rebate and installed myself, for the money and effort the soundscape was transformed and I'm very happy.

Last edited:

IC202

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
awesome thanks for the link! I'm a bit of an audiophile and have upgraded a past factory bose system because it didn't cut it. I've always had kicker, alpine, JL audio speaker installs with subs so I might be wanting more than the average person. I think the current factory speakers are trash. Don't know if you have driven a tesla model 3, but for reference, when I tested it that was the first time I thought I could live with a factory system lol. Sounds like the helix is a good start point though and I'll probably be happy with some tweaks and new door speakers.

IC202

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE

Zygomatic

Car(s)
GTI MK7
Does anyone know if the plug for the helix sub amp that has the one bypass wire in it goes into the remote slot is for left or right hand drive? I read it somewhere but cant find it now.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
awesome thanks for the link! I'm a bit of an audiophile and have upgraded a past factory bose system because it didn't cut it. I've always had kicker, alpine, JL audio speaker installs with subs so I might be wanting more than the average person. I think the current factory speakers are trash. Don't know if you have driven a tesla model 3, but for reference, when I tested it that was the first time I thought I could live with a factory system lol. Sounds like the helix is a good start point though and I'll probably be happy with some tweaks and new door speakers.

There is also the Audison APSP G7 kit. My system FINALLY came in after waiting 2 months for shipping from Germany. I believe you could find a place in the US to buy it but when I purchased it was cheaper from overseas. Hoping to install it sometime in the next few weeks. Comes with the Audison AP8.9 bit amplifier/DSP combo (fully user-customizable), new front door mid-woofers, a 10" subwoofer for the trunk, and a full plug and play wiring kit.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
There is also the Audison APSP G7 kit. My system FINALLY came in after waiting 2 months for shipping from Germany. I believe you could find a place in the US to buy it but when I purchased it was cheaper from overseas. Hoping to install it sometime in the next few weeks. Comes with the Audison AP8.9 bit amplifier/DSP combo (fully user-customizable), new front door mid-woofers, a 10" subwoofer for the trunk, and a full plug and play wiring kit.
Haven't heard of this kit. Do you know if you can keep your spare and subfloor with the woofer the same as the Helix?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts when it's all wired up.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
Haven't heard of this kit. Do you know if you can keep your spare and subfloor with the woofer the same as the Helix?

Look forward to hearing your thoughts when it's all wired up.

From what I have seen, yes. In the instructions they tell you to remove the plastic "cap" from the bolt that holds the spare tire in place, then the box fits right over the spare.
And I will definitely try and provide some updates. Unfortunately I've never heard the Helix setup in person so it's tough to compare. But for me, just having the adjustable DSP was worth it. And I believe 8 presets for the car setup by Audison (4 for LHD vehicles and 4 for RHD), so if you're looking for "set it and forget it" it seems to offer that as well.

IC202

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE

this is it? audison

I'm already liking it more, easy to follow manual, customizable DSP, like that it doesn't have tweeters in the back doors,I also suspect the 10" sub in that box would hit better than the helix. Looking forward to your review. Do you have a link from where you got it?

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
this is it? audison

I'm already liking it more, easy to follow manual, customizable DSP, like that it doesn't have tweeters in the back doors,I also suspect the 10" sub in that box would hit better than the helix. Looking forward to your review. Do you have a link from where you got it?

I've gotten the front door speakers in so far, they sound great on their own. One minor annoyance with the kit is that it apparently does not come with screws to mount the speakers to the included bracket (which did include screws to mount to the door). Had to scrounge some up. So be aware of that. Also really not looking forward to removing the A-pillars to wire in their connector.

I bought the kit from this link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audison-AP...212053&hash=item341ae95a04:g:9n8AAOSwxORd7-Ep
But if you order... I wouldn't use standard DHL, I would ask if they can use DHL Express. It took a little over 2 months to get the package with standard Deutsche Post (DHL).

IC202

Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I've gotten the front door speakers in so far, they sound great on their own. One minor annoyance with the kit is that it apparently does not come with screws to mount the speakers to the included bracket (which did include screws to mount to the door). Had to scrounge some up. So be aware of that. Also really not looking forward to removing the A-pillars to wire in their connector.

I bought the kit from this link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audison-AP...212053&hash=item341ae95a04:g:9n8AAOSwxORd7-Ep
But if you order... I wouldn't use standard DHL, I would ask if they can use DHL Express. It took a little over 2 months to get the package with standard Deutsche Post (DHL).
I didn't realize they have you keep the factory tweeters and rear speakers. Wonder why they have you remove the A-pillar when not replacing the tweeter. Even more interested to know how it turns out now. Good luck!