GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Helix Soundbox Upgrade Information Post!

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I didn't realize they have you keep the factory tweeters and rear speakers. Wonder why they have you remove the A-pillar when not replacing the tweeter. Even more interested to know how it turns out now. Good luck!

Yeah they have tweeters you can purchase that would work well for the application, but their preset DSP tunes are for stock tweeters with their Audison mid woofers. And their amp/dsp treats the tweeters as separate channels for time-alignment/equalization so they need a separate connection point rather than being tied into the door speakers with an inline crossover. Or at least.. that's what I could figure out.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I also only replaced the front door mids on a bone stock 2018 SE GTI system. I did have the Helix previously, but not anymore. The upgraded mids do have an improved low range up towards the front, but not a huge difference without adding additional power. I used Dayton 6.5's i believe.. I have a video series on the install.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S
I didn't realize they have you keep the factory tweeters and rear speakers. Wonder why they have you remove the A-pillar when not replacing the tweeter. Even more interested to know how it turns out now. Good luck!

Finally got the Audison kit installed, I posted a little bit about my thoughts on another thread I started previously:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/audison-apsp-g7-update-installed.376310/

Let me know if you have any specific questions about it or want to know any other info!

gravelriderwma

If it helps anyone, I have a 19 Alltrack SE. Been using code 60 for the past year, wasn't real happy with the bass volume, too quiet and the mids/treble a little hot even when playing with the eq.. Messed around with 57, 60, 97 & 98 this weekend. I found the 97 to have the best bass thump, also the rear speakers seemed to sound the best on that with fade set all the way back. I got a little more flexibility out of the volume knob although getting near 50% was still really loud. Just my 2 cents, your preference might be different. If you don't like the bass to thump as much 98 sounded pretty good too. I read somewhere on here that 97/98 were for I think 2018 and newer without the rear tweeter and that seems to be spot on. I didn't want to mess with the gain knob and risk breaking it (also I was too lazy to pull the dsp out to get at it). If I get motivated sometime I might try to pull out one of the speakers and put some polyfill batting in to see what happens.

CurbSideWeg

Car(s)
2015 VW GTI
If I upgrade my Mib1 to mib2 do I need my helix reprogrammed or will it keep working as normal? I looked through the previous pages but didn’t see anything about this though I may have missed it.

CurbSideWeg

Car(s)
2015 VW GTI
I believe the programing flash is stored on the DSP itself, so you should be fine if you change MIB units.
Awesome thanks one more step closer to better audio. My engine blew a bit back and while it was being replaced they gave me a 2020 Tiguan to bop around in and I was pissed how much better their newer systems sound compared to bone stock 2015!

Karbelkar

Car(s)
2019 Golf 7.5 GTI
Good day All,

New member here, following this thread with excitement. I've ordered the B-model from VW and awaiting delivery from Germany to South Africa. Are there any South African users who have a dongle or have managed to get a dealer to program?

Vessy

Car(s)
7.5 R
I did have the Helix previously, but not anymore.

Did you ever get yours sounding right? Just installed mine and have the same result as you! Code 57 gives a very narrow muddy soundstage, 97 no better. Before coding the soundstage was much better but the eq was -100% mid and -50% high to sound reasonable.

I’m now wondering if this is a result of seating position as so many other users find 57 perfect, I’m pretty tall and have the seat nearly all the way back, if I lean forwards the soundstage greatly improves along with the clarity when using 57.

Did you try any other codes? I have a dongle and I am finding that codes 20 & 81 are sounding almost perfect! Bass is very slightly behind me but mids and are right in front with a nice wider soundstage for tops.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hmmm...

I’m now wondering if this is a result of seating position as so many other users find 57 perfect, I’m pretty tall and have the seat nearly all the way back, if I lean forwards the soundstage greatly improves along with the clarity when using 57. I have a dongle and I am finding that codes 20 & 81 are sounding almost perfect! Bass is very slightly behind me but mids and are right in front with a nice wider soundstage for tops.

What I think you've concluded is that the sound engineers at Helix are about 5'6" tall. ;) I don't recall if I've tried file #20. But I know I've never tried #81 since it's new. File 81 is for the Arteon. I wonder if it sounds better for you since the Arteon's doors may be longer with the front speakers farther from the driver. I'll have to give it a shot and see what I think.

Vessy

Car(s)
7.5 R
I’m finding 20 a bit brighter than 81, Bass is outstanding in both settings, currently running the amp sub output on 3/4 and still -2 on the factory eq, and I do love my bass!!!

I do find it quite boomy, but I think that is the Helix eq compensating for the noticeable roll off below 50hz

cooloregon

HELIX SRC - Subwoofer Remote Control for HELIX to control the output volume from the drivers seat. Has anyone also used this?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Haven't seen it mentioned here before. It shows compatibility with several amps but doesn't show as being compatible with any of their DSP's. I would guess it won't work but it's not too expensive to try I guess, see it on eBay for under $25.

4MoJoe

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Golf Alltrack S
Been searching for the answer on this, I bought a 2021 GTI SE and says it has the MIB3 and that the Helix is not compatible with it. Is there another sub by chance? Or a work around to get the Helix to work....