GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 Exhaust Tech. How to get the sound you want.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I got the UNitronic DP and their tune after a lot of research. As advertised, great fit and finish on the DP, and no CEL after the tune was flashed. Drove it like that for 100k miles. Expensive DP?, you betcha. Worth it? You betcha. DP + Tune, + labor I think I wrote a check for $1600.

Always cheaper to buy quality parts off the bat.

I paid $1,100 for the DKM clutch that ruined my transmission to the tune of $5,500+ (so far). My goal here is to advise people to learn from my experiences across the board good/bad/ugly.

Then there’s always someone who who “thinks” something and is willing to argue about it when I’ve spent tens of thousands of hours developing products.

Had I known DKM didn’t do proper R&D on this clutch I would’ve thanked the guy who saved me $6,600+ (had anyone known that back in 2018), but the internet norm is to argue 😒

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I agree, you spend the money and/or time with a product, it sticks with you. I think my ACT clutch and SMF was like $1400, and I sort of shot from the hip and purchased it, despite others saying get a Southbend. While I know Southbend is good, I have always bought ACT clutches and they have performed execellent. I saw no reason to switch. I like sharing what I know as well, if nothing more that to save someone from a headache that I already experienced. Likewise, numerous folks on here have aided me as well in my ventures on this platform. It's only fitting that I pay it forward.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I agree, you spend the money and/or time with a product, it sticks with you. I think my ACT clutch and SMF was like $1400, and I sort of shot from the hip and purchased it, despite others saying get a Southbend. While I know Southbend is good, I have always bought ACT clutches and they have performed execellent. I saw no reason to switch. I like sharing what I know as well, if nothing more that to save someone from a headache that I already experienced. Likewise, numerous folks on here have aided me as well in my ventures on this platform. It's only fitting that I pay it forward.

Part of that $5,500 on this round is the $1,600 ACT clutch 🍻

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Always cheaper to buy quality parts off the bat.

I paid $1,100 for the DKM clutch that ruined my transmission to the tune of $5,500+ (so far). My goal here is to advise people to learn from my experiences across the board good/bad/ugly.

Then there’s always someone who who “thinks” something and is willing to argue about it when I’ve spent tens of thousands of hours developing products.

Had I known DKM didn’t do proper R&D on this clutch I would’ve thanked the guy who saved me $6,600+ (had anyone known that back in e 2018), but the internet norm is to argue 😒
Imagine how I felt, lol - it’s not even like I saved with my DKM that only gave me issues in the short time it lived in my car since by 2020 it wasn’t a budget price anymore as a whole (for a twin it was)

IMG_7349.jpeg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Imagine how I felt, lol - it’s not even like I saved with my DKM that only gave me issues in the short time it lived in my car since by 2020 it wasn’t a budget price anymore as a whole (for a twin it was)

View attachment 280581

RIP Motul Gear 300. Still need to find an alternative for that too (WaveTrac can’t be used with any friction modifiers & Gear300 or OEM fill are the only two they list as compatible).

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Only way you’ll avoid CEL is with the proper cat & cat placement. APR uses a lightly loaded GESI cat too far downstream & you see the results.
I have the EPA GESI cat that will be welded to the CTS dp. I'm sure it will work better than the APR cat. Will the CEL stay off? We shall see.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I have the EPA GESI cat that will be welded to the CTS dp. I'm sure it will work better than the APR cat. Will the CEL stay off? We shall see.
Unless you’re installing a bung post cat and plugging the regular CTS bung and reusing the apr 02 extension harness you can run 3 Gesi cats and still CEL the dash though

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Unless you’re installing a bung post cat and plugging the regular CTS bung and reusing the apr 02 extension harness you can run 3 Gesi cats and still CEL the dash though
Having a bung welded in after the cat, have a bolt plug for the CTS bunghole* and using the APR extension harness.

* "Cornholio approves this message"

BudgetPhoenix

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2009 GLI, 2016 GTI
After browsing this topic & driving with a BBE catted downpipe for a week now, I decided I had enough enough and ordered the 17930. It sounds okayish with the stock catback but its still kind of obnoxious.

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
I’ve had the BAUN Performance V2 downpipe with OEM fitment midpipe routed to the stock muffler for about 8 months now. Cold start sounds great and I even get a few burbles shifting from 1-2 when letting the car come up to temp. I really want to finish off the BAUN exhaust. Trying to decide how loud I want it.

One more thing, this setup looks so nice I often find myself under my car cleaning the 304 SS. Never had a CEL

My only other exhaust experience in my GTI is with an IE Downpipe matted to the stock axle back. It was too loud and smelled and I needed a spacer to get around the CEL.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
After browsing this topic & driving with a BBE catted downpipe for a week now, I decided I had enough enough and ordered the 17930. It sounds okayish with the stock catback but its still kind of obnoxious.

You didn’t read enough, since 17930 is SMALLER than the OEM tubing.

Not the end of the world, but typically running 3” to match your 3” downpipe would make more sense that replacing 2.6” with 2.5”

Jonnyr6

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 golf R
I’ve had the BAUN Performance V2 downpipe with OEM fitment midpipe routed to the stock muffler for about 8 months now. Cold start sounds great and I even get a few burbles shifting from 1-2 when letting the car come up to temp. I really want to finish off the BAUN exhaust. Trying to decide how loud I want it.

One more thing, this setup looks so nice I often find myself under my car cleaning the 304 SS. Never had a CEL

My only other exhaust experience in my GTI is with an IE Downpipe matted to the stock axle back. It was too loud and smelled and I needed a spacer to get around the CEL.
It was too loud because it was a catless dp most likely. Going to sound pretty bad with a setup like that.
bunch more exhaust flow alongside the stock oem pipe, res and muffler. Not good

tigeo

Autocross Champion
It was too loud because it was a catless dp most likely. Going to sound pretty bad with a setup like that.
bunch more exhaust flow alongside the stock oem pipe, res and muffler. Not good
IE DPs only come catted.