GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Understanding the MK7 PCV function, retrofitting the MK8 PCV, and why catch cans are bullshit(IMO)

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Got everything I need and back from vacation, going in this weekend.

IMG_7564.jpeg

yakev724

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 S3
Ugh just realized I can’t run the 034 TMD as the EQT charge pipe and TMD is larger. Reached out to them to see if they can accommodate a fitting but will wait patiently for results in the meantime!

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
Still waiting on my TMD on backorder unfortunately. I'll be calling NGP on Monday or Tuesday if I don't get some tracking info by then.

My *guess* is that just running the hose as I am now will be perfectly fine/adequate or even preferable in 95% of applications. The main thing that NEEDS fixed is the higher volume of flow through the air oil separator which the MK8 PCV seems to accomplish (larger orifice, bypass valve redesign).

I fully expect there to be no tangible (real life noticeable) benefits to running the venturi, but because I'm exploring the use of this thing on track and that option is available... I'm going to at least verify it one way or another. It MIGHT be a case where it's helpful for people with the big ass turbos or built engines to keep blow-by under control.

I'll be sending my test oil cap to a friend in Florida to put on his big turbo built engine GTI (Mike with a 3076 and a shot of nitrous) for him to get pressure/vacuum readings with:
- APR CC/PCV kit
- MK7 BK valve
- MK8 PCV

We had originally planned on him sending the APR CC kit to me for testing on my car, but he's got a bunch of stuff (and his MK7 valve was giving him no problems interestingly enough) and frankly I'm really curious to see what a big turbo car is doing crankcase-pressure-wise.

mk6'12gti

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 Mk7.5 Gti
Has anyone sourced the Tiguan PVC hose for cheaper than 180? That's all I have been able to find. any OEM manufacturer?
I can help you if you still need it. I work at a Vw dealership and we only pay cost+10% on parts

Klrider44

Go Kart Champion
Im
Still waiting on my TMD on backorder unfortunately. I'll be calling NGP on Monday or Tuesday if I don't get some tracking info by then.

My *guess* is that just running the hose as I am now will be perfectly fine/adequate or even preferable in 95% of applications. The main thing that NEEDS fixed is the higher volume of flow through the air oil separator which the MK8 PCV seems to accomplish (larger orifice, bypass valve redesign).

I fully expect there to be no tangible (real life noticeable) benefits to running the venturi, but because I'm exploring the use of this thing on track and that option is available... I'm going to at least verify it one way or another. It MIGHT be a case where it's helpful for people with the big ass turbos or built engines to keep blow-by under control.

I'll be sending my test oil cap to a friend in Florida to put on his big turbo built engine GTI (Mike with a 3076 and a shot of nitrous) for him to get pressure/vacuum readings with:
- APR CC/PCV kit
- MK7 BK valve
- MK8 PCV

We had originally planned on him sending the APR CC kit to me for testing on my car, but he's got a bunch of stuff (and his MK7 valve was giving him no problems interestingly enough) and frankly I'm really curious to see what a big turbo car is doing crankcase-pressure-wise.
Very interested in the result. I feel as though my APR catch can is giving me too much crank case pressure.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
First off thank you @DerHase for the video, I learned a lot!

Just curious. I was going to do spark plugs & figured good time to do the PCV. I watched the FCP Euro video, but figured this is a little different. I am mechanically challenged.

Can you write a step by step or a video on how to change out to the MK8 PCV

Maybe something I can't do, but seems pretty easy.

Installation video w/torque specs

IMG_1423.jpeg

It’s been a long time since my cars seen a track day, but our monthly mountain runs have been enough sustained G’s to smoke screen lately (first I’ve personally seen on the street). My OEM PCV valve installed in the video above only has 10k miles on it, so I’m going to keep an eye on this thread and most likely go the Mk8 route (although Radium might be a option as well depending on their release date & pricing).

the

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
First off thank you @DerHase for the video, I learned a lot!

Installation video w/torque specs

It’s been a long time since my cars seen a track day, but our monthly mountain runs have been enough sustained G’s to smoke screen lately (first I’ve personally seen on the street). My OEM PCV valve installed in the video above only has 10k miles on it, so I’m going to keep an eye on this thread and most likely go the Mk8 route (although Radium might be a option as well depending on their release date & pricing).
Hmmm... I have the same seeping, also getting some weird boost issues during right turns from time to time and oil consumption. Guess we'll throw a PCV in there and see what happens.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
Just another anecdote but I can confirm that my ECS catch can didn't do squat to stop the puffs on right handers. I'll have to try out this MK8 retrofit soon.

So for the 2021 autocross seasons I was getting the cloud puff maybe once or twice an event. I run in STU, which is a street class, and I’m required to have a working PCV. So some of these PCV replacement CC’s were out.

From there I swapped to the updated BL, and added the ECS can. I strictly went with the ECS, as it was a plug and play setup that allowed me to keep my upper washer fluid reservoir.

I have had no more clouds of smoke in the past two seasons, with about 25 events for 2022 alone. My only regret is that I didn’t try just the BL PCV first. I have never had a drop of oil in the can, and really I could probably remove it all together I’d think.

If I can share any data, let me know. I can collect, I just don’t analyze aside from what I’m looking for in SoloStorm or RaceRender.

DerHase

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI Rabbit
So for the 2021 autocross seasons I was getting the cloud puff maybe once or twice an event. I run in STU, which is a street class, and I’m required to have a working PCV. So some of these PCV replacement CC’s were out.

From there I swapped to the updated BL, and added the ECS can. I strictly went with the ECS, as it was a plug and play setup that allowed me to keep my upper washer fluid reservoir.

I have had no more clouds of smoke in the past two seasons, with about 25 events for 2022 alone. My only regret is that I didn’t try just the BL PCV first. I have never had a drop of oil in the can, and really I could probably remove it all together I’d think.

If I can share any data, let me know. I can collect, I just don’t analyze aside from what I’m looking for in SoloStorm or RaceRender.

The main thing to check for would be logging knock retard. Until it got REAL bad I never got large plumes of smoke, but was registering 10 deg of KR at an autocross and a few here and there back in May on track.

For science if it's easy to remove then logging a few runs with and without might prove helpful for those bound by MK7 PCVs for STH purposes.

If you're just doing local events, I doubt anyone would care if the MK8 version was retrofitted. Would be quite a weenie protest.

I need to find a local with an inline catch can to do some oil cap test gauge driving and pulls to see the effects.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Finally swapped out for the MK8 PCV. Thought I had a BL before but turns out it was an AP.

thanks for your help @DerHase @GTI Jake

Took me 2 hours to do both. Had to watch a video on how to unclip coil packs cause it's been a while and I forgot.

Had to watch a video on how to remove PCV house from TIP

Had to watch a video on how to change PCV.

All I have to say is F@#* working on cars. Not cut out for it.

This asshole hose kicked my ass. I don't even think I have the clip on right, but after 15 minutes jacking it off trying to get it on, I was done

20230925_125523.jpg

In progress. Didn't want to get any debris in there

20230925_120554.jpg

And done. And it started up. Wasn't leaking anywhere.

Also, that bung took some serious pressure to get clipped in

20230925_125650.jpg

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Finally swapped out for the MK8 PCV. Thought I had a BL before but turns out it was an AP.

thanks for your help @DerHase @GTI Jake

Took me 2 hours to do both. Had to watch a video on how to unclip coil packs cause it's been a while and I forgot.

Had to watch a video on how to remove PCV house from TIP

Had to watch a video on how to change PCV.

All I have to say is F@#* working on cars. Not cut out for it.

This asshole hose kicked my ass. I don't even think I have the clip on right, but after 15 minutes jacking it off trying to get it on, I was done

View attachment 291286

In progress. Didn't want to get any debris in there

View attachment 291287

And done. And it started up. Wasn't leaking anywhere.

Also, that bung took some serious pressure to get clipped in

View attachment 291288

DIY can be a pain if you’re not into stuff like that regularly, but at least you know it was done properly.

Two hours isn’t bad at all for that piece of mind.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
🤔

Oops. I must've missed that part.
Using regular pliers was no fun. But just realized I should've just changed it out for the screw type clamp

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Forgot to mention about the bung - definitely take a dab of engine oil or something to lube the o-ring before putting it in. Or spit on it.

@MonkeyMD when is your next track event?
I think someone that normally works on cars would've known to do that. But 🤷

Oct 4th is next event and it's the only where I smoke on last turn. Trying to get then to do CCW since we have atrac sprint for our AutoX club in Nov & I've never done CCW. But I kinda want to do CW so I see if this works

Last edited: