GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

10 Things I hate about selling a car on the internet

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
lol.. its the Craiglist age/syndrome.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Its people thinking they can always get favors. Its the self centered attitude of the days. I've started to list my classifieds for slightly higher than what I'm looking for because in the end EVERY single offer I get is lower and I'm just looking for a quick sale.

Same person who offered me $4K wanted me to drive 4 hours to THEM for them to look at it. Same person called me again and offered $4100 because I was uninterested in selling. Same person called me 4 times in the matter of 10minutes because I wasnt answering.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Its people thinking they can always get favors. Its the self centered attitude of the days. I've started to list my classifieds for slightly higher than what I'm looking for because in the end EVERY single offer I get is lower and I'm just looking for a quick sale.

Same person who offered me $4K wanted me to drive 4 hours to THEM for them to look at it. Same person called me again and offered $4100 because I was uninterested in selling. Same person called me 4 times in the matter of 10minutes because I wasnt answering.

its not favors, its just this crazy bargain thought process of most of the people that use CL. It's go as low as possible, thinking that people that list on there are in need of crack money. I do the same exact thing as you do - listing much higher - because I always can expect low ball offers, most of them, extremely low.

Sold my motorcycle on there after about 2mos. I believe I had it listed at $5500... I had a guy offer me $3200, because he "worked at a car dealer" and that was the "trade-in" value. I told him I wasn't fucking trading in. I later sold it for $4800 (which was very good actually).

Tires... omg.... I've had high performance tires on there, set of 4 for like $600. People start sending emails, "would you take $200?" - NO, I'm not starving for food right now or eating ketchup on a saltine, wtf?! or the best is, "well, I can get XXXX brand/chinese cheap shit tires for $89 each" - that's great, go buy them. I don't know what it is, but its become a "culture" of just lowballing as much as possible. Sometimes it works I guess.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
When I was selling my STs for $600 I got an interesting PM from a fellow over at VWVortex that said the following:

"Hey man, Will you take $250? I can get brand new coils for, like (literally said it in the PM), $300 and there's no sense on buying used coils for $600."

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
When I was selling my STs for $600 I got an interesting PM from a fellow over at VWVortex that said the following:

"Hey man, Will you take $250? I can get brand new coils for, like (literally said it in the PM), $300 and there's no sense on buying used coils for $600."

wow, and yep, esp with car shit, some people are just fucking retarded with their offers and I have feeling 90% of them live with their parents anyway.

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I had my boat listed for sale back in February. I finally sold it in mid/late March. I had the listing at $22k. I had decided $20k was the least I'd take. The FIRST dude that showed up to look at it says "the highest I'd go is $15k... you can get them new for $18k and this is 2 years old." I had to point out that there was $7k worth of stuff on the boat, and they are $20k new. He said "you'll never get over $18k for it." I told him I had time.

I did finally get $20k for the boat, but man, the cheap ass chiselling low ballers pissed me off over and over for almost 2 months. Nothing like good ol' boy fisherman to try and work a deal.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
The FIRST dude that showed up to look at it says "the highest I'd go is $15k... you can get them new for $18k and this is 2 years old." I had to point out that there was $7k worth of stuff on the boat, and they are $20k new. He said "you'll never get over $18k for it." I told him I had time.

exactly^ there's like this false comparison thing that the buyers do and 90% of the time its totally bullshit and unfounded. My other favorite is, "I only have xxxx right now - would you take that?"

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
exactly^ there's like this false comparison thing that the buyers do and 90% of the time its totally bullshit and unfounded.

OMFG YES!!!! People always think they know better. That there is something cheaper and better affordable than what you're selling. "DUDE, if its cheaper brand new then buy the damn thing and stop wasting my time "

My other favorite is, "I only have xxxx right now - would you take that?

Hahah classic. If I was more of an asshole I would say "Better keep saving then!"

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
OMFG YES!!!! People always think they know better. That there is something cheaper and better affordable than what you're selling. "DUDE, if its cheaper brand new then buy the damn thing and stop wasting my time "

HA! When I responded with my comment, I followed up by telling him to just go buy a new one and that it would obviously be the better boat for him. Then he said, "well I like the way you have this one rigged." I just looked at him like this:

DougDome

Go Kart Champion
Some people send me links and are like "Look, I found this one for a couple grand less than yours, so I'm going to offer you a grand below that price"

Cool, you found a 4 door base model with a 6sp, tornado red, and has 64,000 miles on it and is owned by someone in Florida that goes by the name "Notstolen". Is that comparable in any fashion to my car? No. If you want to pay that price, then buy that car. Do you want my car? I'm telling you exactly how much I want for it.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

Hahah classic. If I was more of an asshole I would say "Better keep saving then!"

QFT

HA! When I responded with my comment, I followed up by telling him to just go buy a new one and that it would obviously be the better boat for him. Then he said, "well I like the way you have this one rigged." I just looked at him like this:

haha, yep... I've told people that and then they still persist on buying what you are selling, just at their silly ass crack pricing!!! lol

hippiesrock03

Go Kart Champion
Some people send me links and are like "Look, I found this one for a couple grand less than yours, so I'm going to offer you a grand below that price"

Cool, you found a 4 door base model with a 6sp, tornado red, and has 64,000 miles on it and is owned by someone in Florida that goes by the name "Notstolen". Is that comparable in any fashion to my car? No. If you want to pay that price, then buy that car. Do you want my car? I'm telling you exactly how much I want for it.

People are idiots.

"Your GTI looks nice, but I found this civic for 4k. I'll offer you the same..."

LOL at "notstolen"

RHM_ny

Passed Driver's Ed
It would be funny to find out that dealerships hired these spammers to drive us crazy so we all trade in instead of dealing with the CL bullsht. For every decent lead you sort through 10 BS ones. But if you're patient you'll end up on top like others have said.

I had a guy come to westchester from Brooklyn look at my passat when I was selling it. He was from an international car shipping company. He came to my house and for 3 hours walked around the car talking Russian to someone on the phone and pulling out gadgets and crap. When he was done he offered me $2K (I was asking $5K). I told him to go F himself (politely of course). He had a laundry list of reasons to lower the price based on all this ridiculous stuff. I eventually sold the car for $4800.

formul8

My GLI farts
To the OP: I don't know why people are asking you insurance questions? I'd tell them I'm not your insurance agent.

PRO TIP: When someone lowballs you with an unrealistic number, ask them how they arrived at that number. Their answer will most likely be "Well, that's what I think it's worth."

Your answer will be: "That's not what they are selling for average on the market. If you look at [source] and [source], you'll see that your offer is unrealistic. Good luck." And walk away. :mad0259:

I'm selling a '92 Saturn on Craigslist that my grandma left us. The car has 75k miles and is in VERY good condition. It was also religiously maintained. I have it listed for $2,300. It's a very fair price compared to the other Saturns around that year selling on CL with double the miles.

This couple comes out yesterday to look at it. It's stated in the ad that the A/C blows hot. They take it for a drive and return. The guy says "The condenser is shot, so that costs money to fix and there is a bearing noise on one of the wheels. I'll give you $900 for it." I politely told him to come back when he has a realistic offer and good luck finding one that similar to mine for that money.

I sold cars for 3 years. It's part of the game, but offers that low says negotiations are over immediately and not to waste my time.

formul8

My GLI farts

My response:

"Wow, those look like good deals. My car is too expensive for you then and I suggest you jump on those right away!"

**crickets**