GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 Mustang GT vs 2016 Golf R Discussion Thread

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
the r and mustang are two different cars.

i like both for different reasons.
- if i want a simple drift-able car, no care for fuel mileage, cargo, practicality, id go for mustang
- if i want something awd and german, have the practicality of a hatchback, golf r gets my vote, not to mention stage 2 it. use it as fun daily driver etc.

Last edited:

Jordan Liberty

I really like the new Mustang. I got my eye on that 2.3L Ecoboost Turbo engine they are hyping up. It really solves the issues of the Mustang that many people in here brought up: bad gas mileage, lack of turbo. I know this thread is comparing the Golf R to the GT, but I cheated :p. Anyway, based on estimates the Turbo Mustang will be cheaper than the Golf R. I have my GTI as a DD. If I ever save enough money for a new car it would be a sportier car, and right now my eyes are on the Stang.

Sleepin gti1

Ready to race!
I'd pick the R for two reason. The R has all wheel drive and the new mustang looks like a ford fusion in the front.

It looks like a fusion Taurus focus and fiesta ford basically combined em all I'm not a fan of it honestly I work at ford and am going to have to look at them all the time when they arrive at the dealership

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
the current gen GT can handle on par with a BMW M3.....

Lol handling capability and handling competency are two very different things!

I really like the new Mustang. I got my eye on that 2.3L Ecoboost Turbo engine they are hyping up. It really solves the issues of the Mustang that many people in here brought up: bad gas mileage, lack of turbo. I know this thread is comparing the Golf R to the GT, but I cheated :p. Anyway, based on estimates the Turbo Mustang will be cheaper than the Golf R. I have my GTI as a DD. If I ever save enough money for a new car it would be a sportier car, and right now my eyes are on the Stang.

True, love to know how much it weighs, though.

butchered by autocorrecr

Balt21

Ready to race!
I would go Mustang (with 5.0) just to have something different. I almost bought a '13 GT when I got my GTI, but decided against it.

You can mod the Mustang just as easily as the Golf R.

Last edited:

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I would go Mustang (with 5.0) just to have something different. I almost bought a '13 GT when I got my GTI, but decided against it.

You can mod the Mustang just as easily as the Golf R.

You're in the heartland - I've never heard someone from around me say they wanted to get a 'stang, especially the 5.0, to be 'different' :lol:

butchered by autocorrecr

D Griff

Go Kart Champion
You're in the heartland - I've never heard someone from around me say they wanted to get a 'stang, especially the 5.0, to be 'different' :lol:

butchered by autocorrecr

I think he means different from his current car.

For $35-38k I'd probably go Mustang. It seems like a lot more car, it would be cool to have a RWD V8 before they're gone forever, etc. I would have to check them both out in the flesh though/drive them, both are sweet cars. I guess to me though it's hard to justify paying at least $10k more for an R over a GTI.

GTIMKV20

APR Stage I
quick Google search yielded this... I sadly admit, I would drive this. But I would get the R since VW4LIFE.

Bender1

Banned

Enthusiast

What about the 2015 Mustang with the 2.3l Turbo 4? 305+ HP. Cheaper than both the R and 5.0. Best of both worlds. With the price difference you could have a nicely modded stang

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
I think he means different from his current car.

Hah, reading is fundamental. I see what he was saying, and have the same thread in me as well. It's why I've been eyeballing miatas and S2000's recently.

quick Google search yielded this... I sadly admit, I would drive this. But I would get the R since VW4LIFE.

Man, that looks awesome - and it's pretty much just a paint mod to the existing design. Props to those guys

wut?

RWD, doe.

What I mean is that they may be as fast as one another around a tight circuit, but which one would you rather pilot? Just because it's fast doesn't mean it's fun. Watching the GT500 tour the Nurburgring made me cringe, but watching the GT-R gave me chills.