GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 US Golf R - tow hitch possible?

JBJNR

Passed Driver's Ed
Quick question for the MkVII R experts out there - I just bought a 2015 Golf R, one of the 500 pre-order versions of the car, so did not make any special orders/mods. Can I go ahead and get a tow hitch added to it? I want to add a bike carrier that does not involve putting the bike on top of the car. Any links/ideas welcome . . .

ick

Ready to race!
So far what people are finding is it's not possible with any of the receivers available at this moment.

JBJNR

Passed Driver's Ed
So far what people are finding is it's not possible with any of the receivers available at this moment.

I also called my dealer and the service dept. did not see anything possible to order.

Could this be due to the Mk7 being so new? I am surprised that a basic hitch is not possible, for simple, light things like a bike rack or a little haul rental trailer.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
A GTI hitch likely won't work on the R, the rear is different -- different exhaust systems, suspension, and AWD components.

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
Sub'd. I would like a discrete way to periodically haul my bike. Bonus if it ties to any hard mounts and acts as a goofy anti-roll bar. Used to be this was legal for stock class auto-x. I haven't read up on the rules lately.

JBJNR

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes. I work for CURT Manufacturing. I am getting one installed on my 2015 GTI. They specialize in custom applications like this and they have already created this application. You can see what it looks like on a black one here:https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrary/11355/installsheet/CM_11355_INS.PDF

Jesse

Jesse, thanks for the excellent and detailed reply - looks very promising. If VW cannot come up with a solution soon, I will be contacting CURT. I wonder if the DCC, AWD and Haldex systems will prevent an identical or similar solution on the R, but I hope not . . .

JBJNR

Passed Driver's Ed
Just checked the UK site, where you can custom configure your Golf R - not showing any towing hitch options. I wonder whether these were offered on Mk6 Golf range?

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
I think anyone who wants to tow a trailer with a Golf R shouldn't have bought a Golf R.

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
OP wanted the option but the primary purpose is for a bicycle mount. I doubt people are buying the car expressly to tow trailers with.

Does that make sense brinkmen?

JBJNR

Passed Driver's Ed
OP wanted the option but the primary purpose is for a bicycle mount. I doubt people are buying the car expressly to tow trailers with.

Does that make sense brinkmen?

Dead right, Farcy. That last post was as useful as the one suggesting I buy a truck. Go figure. I support free speech, but I appreciate smart speech even more.

Anyways, one of the great things about the Golf design is the space and comfort you get in such a small package. I have kids and I live in the city and have a very tight parking space, so big and even medium size SUVs were out of the question. I looked at the MB GLA, but that thing is so squashed on the inside. Golf gives you the ability to get small SUV/wagon space in a hatch. But I have 3 kids and also bike, so I do need the option to deal with more stuff from time to time, and a tow hitch is perfect for that. It's not the end of the world, I love the R, but I am really surprised VW has completely punted on the option. Perhaps due to low ground clearance?

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
I guess they figured that everyone would go with a roof rack?
I could do the hatch rack but they tend to rub the paint over time so not really my first choice.

1brandeja5

Jesse, thanks for the excellent and detailed reply - looks very promising. If VW cannot come up with a solution soon, I will be contacting CURT. I wonder if the DCC, AWD and Haldex systems will prevent an identical or similar solution on the R, but I hope not . . .

No problem. If you call the tech services team - they should be able to confirm this. They have vehicle frame data readily available and can compare the engineering drawing to see if there will be anything in the way. Worth a shot if you need it.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Dead right, Farcy. That last post was as useful as the one suggesting I buy a truck. Go figure. I support free speech, but I appreciate smart speech even more.

Anyways, one of the great things about the Golf design is the space and comfort you get in such a small package. I have kids and I live in the city and have a very tight parking space, so big and even medium size SUVs were out of the question. I looked at the MB GLA, but that thing is so squashed on the inside. Golf gives you the ability to get small SUV/wagon space in a hatch. But I have 3 kids and also bike, so I do need the option to deal with more stuff from time to time, and a tow hitch is perfect for that. It's not the end of the world, I love the R, but I am really surprised VW has completely punted on the option. Perhaps due to low ground clearance?

When you post on a internet forum, don't expect not to have people voicing their opinions on your post.

I know you said you didn't want a roof mount, but curious why not? Do you already own said trailer and would have to buy everything for roof mounting. Either way, the R wasn't designed to be towing stuff, so I'd be very careful how much weight you pull if you end up doing that. Also the other reason why VW probably didn't put anything in there for a tow hitch is because of the DCC.

Anyway how about we get an engineer in here for a professional opinion.