GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 US Golf R - tow hitch possible?

captjoe

Dont think VW will be offering a hitch for the R.
Reading in my manual, it says it strongly recommends against towing if the car is DSG fitted.

Recon on the R it will be tough to fit a Tow hitch because of the haldex/Exhaust and in your case the DSG & DCC.

What about the bike carriers that clip on to the rear window? Like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/q/u/qu42398_800.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Problem with the rear window mount bike carriers is that the spoiler is mounted with adhesive tape and the straps will put too much force on the spoiler and dismount it eventually.

I saw some where that a hitch was modified from the GTI model to fit the R.
It is not a total DIY job because welding and cutting is needed to fit the exhaust but it is doable if you have the skill and equipment.I'm thinking of going that way because I can weld and burn.Might just buy the GTI hitch and rent a mig welder for the day.Should take me 1 day to fit 1 day to paint and mount.I don't want my bike inside my car and roof racks suck IMO, been there done that many times.

vegasgolds

Ready to race!
They actually make one for R. It is a little narrower to fit quad pipes and does not have straps that attach to subframe like the tdi.
I just received mine and hopefully will install this weekend.

http://torkliftcentral.com/2015-volkswagen-golf-r-ecohitch

the guys car in the video was bought from VW of Boise. He is finishthepint on vwvortex.

It's a 2016 base manual R. And he is very happy with both purchases.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I would call Curt Mfg. There are too many difference between the GTI and R. Just the exhaust is a big problem, and the gas tanks and valances are different. If anyone needs to use their car for towing or a bike rack they should checked the car's specs first.

You might be able to use a trunk mount for bikes.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I would get a 2" probably, not sure. I have the 1.8t not a R. The golf is definitely capable of towing, just need to make sure I get a quality hitch mount setup.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
This is the one that definitely fits an R, and it is quite popular. I've bee using mine for bike racks for the last year.

https://torkliftcentral.com/2015-2017-volkswagen-golf-r-ecohitch

I bought the 1.25" receiver option. The 2" is an option, but I felt that it looked a bit big. Plus, there are several racks for the smaller hitches.

Good deal! If you're not going to be towing get the 1.25". Or get the 2" and use the smaller ball. but I just looked at the "installation" video. Forget about your driveline warranty unless you're prepared to take your car apart every time and buy a spare valance.

Last edited:

chid

Ready to race!
I don't understand why we should lose the warranty, when in Europe the R comes with a trailer hitch and trailer parking assist... !?!?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I don't understand why we should lose the warranty, when in Europe the R comes with a trailer hitch and trailer parking assist... !?!?

In the U.K. the Golf R isn't type approved for towing and so the Trailer Assist option isn't available. Fitting a towing hitch, and towing with an R would invalidate your motor insurance.

Interesting that you say the R comes with a trailer hitch in Europe. My command of the German language isn't good, but the German VW brochure for the Golf R doesn't include any towing data, which suggests it's not type approved for towing in Germany either.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Good deal! If you're not going to be towing get the 1.25". Or get the 2" and use the smaller ball. but I just looked at the "installation" video. Forget about your driveline warranty unless you're prepared to take your car apart every time and buy a spare valance.

You're fine with a hitch, especially a 1.25 with no wiring. Never had a problem on my GTI with warranty service (and I had a fair amount of engine work done). They'd have to prove you towed and that the towing is what caused the damage. Tons of people use trailer hitch bike racks and that's it.