GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2015 US Golf R - tow hitch possible?

Tow Hitch

Just FYI, we've got a Kurt hitch on my wife's Subaru and I had one on my old Mazda. The fitment on both was perfect and an easy install on a newer car (No road crab/rust built up in the frame holes)

If you need it, and Kurt makes it, I'd suggest going for it. Anything VW makes will be essentially the same thing, but more $$, and made by a subcontractor anyway.

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
Do you already own said trailer and would have to buy everything for roof mounting. Either way, the R wasn't designed to be towing stuff, so I'd be very careful how much weight you pull if you end up doing that.
He doesn't want to pull a trailer, he just wants a trailer hitch for use with a bike carrier.

JBJNR

Passed Driver's Ed
He doesn't want to pull a trailer, he just wants a trailer hitch for use with a bike carrier.

When you post on a internet forum, don't expect not to have people voicing their opinions on your post.

I know you said you didn't want a roof mount, but curious why not? Do you already own said trailer and would have to buy everything for roof mounting. Either way, the R wasn't designed to be towing stuff, so I'd be very careful how much weight you pull if you end up doing that. Also the other reason why VW probably didn't put anything in there for a tow hitch is because of the DCC.

Anyway how about we get an engineer in here for a professional opinion.

Brinkmen, I was asking for advice. I also ride bikes and need a rack to hold a bike. If you have any experience with bikes, you will know that roof racks are a pain in the neck, you have to remove the front wheel only to put it back on when you arrive (which is also a pain if you have disk brakes), you risk scraping the front fork on the roof paint or dropping the bike on the car, and exposing the bike frame to direct hits from road rocks/debris. I have no plans to haul a 50' yacht with my Golf R.

Put yourself in my position. I already bought the Golf R. Should I run back and return it on your advice? Or give up biking? Is your comment really helpful to someone in my situation? Or were you simply trying to shoot off a snide comment to play the class clown? I presume it's the latter, and I am not the only one here reacting to your post.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but sometimes opinions are best kept to yourself.

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Brinkmen, I was asking for advice. I also ride bikes and need a rack to hold a bike. If you have any experience with bikes, you will know that roof racks are a pain in the neck, you have to remove the front wheel only to put it back on when you arrive (which is also a pain if you have disk brakes), you risk scraping the front fork on the roof paint or dropping the bike on the car, and exposing the bike frame to direct hits from road rocks/debris. I have no plans to haul a 50' yacht with my Golf R.

Put yourself in my position. I already bought the Golf R. Should I run back and return it on your advice? Or give up biking? Is your comment really helpful to someone in my situation? Or were you simply trying to shoot off a snide comment to play the class clown? I presume it's the latter, and I am not the only one here reacting to your post.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but sometimes opinions are best kept to yourself.

I recant my previous statements as I apparently can't read well. Sorry. Lol. My second comment was somewhat of a warning. The first was being a d bag. Again sorry about that.

Glad you aren't planning on towing a trailer. I see the point for the trailer hitch mounted bike rack. Personally I think it looks much better to have the bikes on the roof.

farcyde11gti

Ready to race!
All good. If we all did the same things and had the same style it would be pretty boring wouldn't it.

JBJNR

Passed Driver's Ed
I recant my previous statements as I apparently can't read well. Sorry. Lol. My second comment was somewhat of a warning. The first was being a d bag. Again sorry about that.

Glad you aren't planning on towing a trailer. I see the point for the trailer hitch mounted bike rack. Personally I think it looks much better to have the bikes on the roof.

No biggie, apology accepted. One other thing, you often need to get a ladder to put a bike properly on a roof rack, even if you are only driving 15 minutes down the highway to get to an off road track. Real PITA. But the roof mounted bikes do look a lot cooler . . .

For those scratching their heads, this is what I am talking about.

Attachments

• Thule.jpg
    Thule.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,828

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
People speak from that they know. Since I'm 6'1 I wouldn't see it as a big deal putting a bike on the roof. But not everyone is as tall as I am so again something I understand.

dr61

Thanks to the OP for bringing this up. I will be interested in the R in the future when a manual gearbox is offered, and also would only consider it if I could fit a rear hitch-mounted bike rack. I despise mounting bikes on a vehicle roof. I recently installed a Curt and a Kuat bike rack on one of our cars and they work great. I hope Curt and others come through with some solutions for the R.

Hatcher

Ready to race!
Does anyone have any updates on this? I'm like dr61 in that I will definitely want a hitch mounted bike rack.

I mountain bike all the time, and I have a dog, so putting both of these things in a hatch is VERY difficult. I can barely manage in my current STI hatch, which seems quite a bit bigger than the R. And even then, that involves taking off the front wheel (6 bolts), removing seatpost, padding inside with blanket, forcing dog into the 40 split, etc etc

PLEASE someone give us good news on a proper hitch mount receiver for new R!

Brinkmen

VW NUT!
Car(s)
2015 Golf R
Does anyone have any updates on this? I'm like dr61 in that I will definitely want a hitch mounted bike rack.

I mountain bike all the time, and I have a dog, so putting both of these things in a hatch is VERY difficult. I can barely manage in my current STI hatch, which seems quite a bit bigger than the R. And even then, that involves taking off the front wheel (6 bolts), removing seatpost, padding inside with blanket, forcing dog into the 40 split, etc etc

PLEASE someone give us good news on a proper hitch mount receiver for new R!

Can you take off your front bumper cover and fit it in your trunk without damaging it?

Possibly a full set of 18" wheels in boxes?

xPETEZx

Passed Driver's Ed
Dont think VW will be offering a hitch for the R.
Reading in my manual, it says it strongly recommends against towing if the car is DSG fitted.

Recon on the R it will be tough to fit a Tow hitch because of the haldex/Exhaust and in your case the DSG & DCC.

What about the bike carriers that clip on to the rear window? Like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/q/u/qu42398_800.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hatcher

Ready to race!
Thanks Mike A, but wow that seems like a crazy amount of work

xPETEZx- racks like this are a supreme pain in the ass!

I really really really hope CURT will make a hitch mount for the manual R coming soon.

Mike A.

Ready to race!
Thanks Mike A, but wow that seems like a crazy amount of work

xPETEZx- racks like this are a supreme pain in the ass!

I really really really hope CURT will make a hitch mount for the manual R coming soon.

I hope they make one too but at least there is an option and the research on what needs to be modified has been done by someone else. :)

Larry7995

I saw an R out at Heil Ranch a couple weeks ago but he had his mtn bike on the roof. I also prefer a hitch and platform rack. I have one on my 2013 WRX and it's probably a Curt.