GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2022 Formula 1 Season

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Since doing anything like a disqualification will be too extreme a punishment for the governing body to stomach, even though that was one of the threatened penalties. I think they should fine the team and then penalize them developmentally. Overspending gives you an advantage from a car development standpoint, so impose reductions in wind tunnel and/or test time for the team in the following season. If they don't make this kind of thing hurt when the teams do it, Toto is right to say they should intentionally break the rule and just face the minor slap on the hand.

Agreed, the solution is somewhere in here.

Zak Brown recently offered a similar idea.

"We don't feel a financial penalty alone would be a suitable penalty for an overspend breach or a serious procedural breach. There clearly needs to be a sporting penalty in these instances, as determined by the FIA.

"We suggest that the overspend should be penalised by way of a reduction to the team's cost cap in the year following the ruling, and the penalty should be equal to the overspend plus a further fine - ie an overspend of $2m in 2021, which is identified in 2022, would result in a $4m deduction in 2023 ($2m to offset the overspend plus $2m fine).

"For context, $2m is (a) 25-50% upgrade to (an) annual car-development budget and hence would have a significant positive and long-lasting benefit.

"In addition, we believe there should be minor overspend sporting penalties of a 20% reduction in CFD and wind tunnel time. These should be enforced in the following year, to mitigate against the unfair advantage the team has and will continue to benefit from."

Full article

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Merc track maps.... for what they're worth.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
LOL at Giovinazzi being named in contention for Mick's seat..... and he then proceeds to bring out a red flag after putting the car into the wall. Requiring a gearbox change.

I'll take 'how to not get the drive at Haas' for $400.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Welp, that was quite the race. Kinda bummed that Sir Ham was so close to keeping that win streak alive. But Max in the RB at the front seems to be inevitable this year. If he wins all of the remaining races, he will have a higher one season win % than MSC in 2004, which is insane.

torga

Autocross Champion
Hot damn, Alonso just willing that car back, deep into a points finish. What a spectacular fender bender.

Was hilarious listening to Hammy the tattle tale only for him to also get BW flags.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Hot damn, Alonso just willing that car back, deep into a points finish. What a spectacular fender bender.

Was hilarious listening to Hammy the tattle tale only for him to also get BW flags.
I'm blown away that Alonso not only kept his car together, but went on to finish as deep inside the points as he did. He literally could not have hit the wall more perfectly, shame the result was taken away due to penalties.

I do find that ironic, but they all do everything they can to gain an advantage. Both of them were pushing hard and it was exciting to watch regardless of who won.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Apparently, COTA saw 440,000 people this weekend.... making it the most-attended 3 day weekend in F1's history.

Its a shame that we have all these people/fans willing to go to races, and then we get shit tracks like Miami and Vegas. Gimme another Tilke-drome like Malaysia somewhere in the US, please.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
On the last couple of these maps I've noticed that asides the obvious changes in KPH associated with 2021 v 2022 cars, there seems to have been changes to the gearing. I wonder what's driven that?

Like looking at T1-T6, in 2021 3rd gear was good for 75-115 KPH, but this year it's 2nd gear from 70-100.

torga

Autocross Champion
The change in gearing might partly have to do with the change in aerodynamic load these new cars experience. The engineers may have tuned the gear ratios of the '22 transmissions to better suit the very different aero these new cars have, which in turn affects grip level.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
The change in gearing might partly have to do with the change in aerodynamic load these new cars experience. The engineers may have tuned the gear ratios of the '22 transmissions to better suit the very different aero these new cars have, which in turn affects grip level.
Yep. Less low speed grip due to new aero regs, taller gears help mitigate the loss of traction. I have a feeling we'll see them on par with the 2021 cars in 2023.

torga

Autocross Champion
Yep. Less low speed grip due to new aero regs, taller gears help mitigate the loss of traction. I have a feeling we'll see them on par with the 2021 cars in 2023.

Agree, there's always a dip in lap times during the first year of new regs. And they always catch back up.

First year of V6 turbo was a good bit slower than the previous year of V8, iirc. But the 2021 cars were easily breaking the records from V8 era.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
So I'm bored at work and was curious about comparing times across the last few reg changes.

Spain is my constant, specifically the qualifying times.

2013 - 1:20.718 - Last of the V8s, Blown diffuser RB
2014 - 1:25.232 - New V6/hybrids, Merc probably still had pace in hand as they had zero competition from the field that year
2016 - 1:22.000 - Last of the 'narrow' tire V6 hybrids
2017 - 1:19.149 - New wider tires, wider cars and "bargeboard war"
2020 - 1:15.584 - Probably the fastest F1 cars for the time being, we might get close at the end of the current regs in 2025
2021 - 1:16.741 - Reduced rear floor area hampered rear DF
2022 - 1:18.750 - New ground-effects regs