GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2022 Formula 1 Season

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
FP2 sectors, not much to really read into, but interesting nonetheless.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
4 spins, two drivers out and a safety car....we still haven't finished the first lap.

This is going to be an interesting race.

Edit: and we're red flagged. Not surprising.

Last edited:

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
Honestly, I enjoyed the race.... Alonso late stop and final stint was very fun, photo finish with Seb. Of course Jenson called it, he did stop one lap too late :(

Wholesome moment Max learning he is champion:

Honestly, Alpine's strategy with Alonso was poor at best. He made multiple calls to the pit wall regarding stopping to change tires both times (wet to inters and the second stop for fresh inters), Alpine took numerous laps to respond to him.

Kind of glad the WDC is over, it was inevitable at this rate. I'm more interested in seeing what the FIA doesn't do about RB breaking the cost cap.

Hopeful wishing..... maybe a non-RB/Ferrari will snag a win in the last 4 races?

DangerDane2008

Drag Racing Champion
w
This is the way (if you can entirely avoid all news about it).

The s/o and I figured we were already up, might as well catch the race. We ended up going to bed maybe 15-20 minutes before the actual restart of the race.
it’s impossible for me to watch live for a vast majority of the races. I’ll usually watch same day in the evening. Jalopnik and The Drive rarely announce the winners same day. It’s not like it really matters anyways. We all know who’s most likely going to win the races left.

Speaking of jalopnik

https://jalopnik.com/the-fia-response-to-suzukas-trackside-recovery-truck-is-1849637427

Apparently they’re placing the blame 100% on gasly with the tractor on the track incident. Was he going too fast? Probably. Should the tractor been on the track before the entire field had cleared the area? Absolutely not. And the race director shouldn’t have let that happen. Apparently no lessons were learned from 2014.

Further more why aren’t there enough yellow lights and reflective safety stripes on anything that isn’t a race car on the track to see from the moon?

In fact the whole thing should’ve been avoided from the get go. It was apparent from the formation lap that the conditions weren’t ok to race in. The water and visibility was appalling at the race start. If it hadn’t been postponed, then at bare minimum a rolling start.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
A lot of good talking points, but I'm not overly surprised at the FIA. Why would they admit they were in the wrong? Should Gasly have been hauling that much ass, not at all; it's red flag conditions, chill. That being said, there was no reason the tractor should have been on the track until all of the cars were in the pits. It's amazing that it only took the FIA 8 years to make the same kind of mistake, at the same track, under the same conditions.

The restart, is how the race should have been started from the onset; behind the safety car and on wets. Get the cars around the track, generate some heat, move some water off the racing line.

I think they should do one of two things next year.

1. Start the race earlier. There is no reason they're running out of day light if there is a delay.
2. Move the when the races in Asia happen, maybe not in the middle or towards the end of Typhoon season? Maybe April, around Australia?

The full wet compound is too hard compared to the inters/slicks, there is no crossover between the wet or inter; if there was performance in the wet tire, the teams would use it. Seems that Max is doing side quests now that the WDC is wrapped up and has offered to help Pirelli during the next wet tire tests.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
FIA's answer to the event was nothing short of ridiculous. Should Gasly have slowed down? Sure. Should there be any scenario in which a tractor and a F1 car are ON THE TRACK at same time? Absolutely not. Especially in those conditions, particularly on that track. Even the drivers behind the safety car said they could barely see a tractor. Between the advertising board breaking off, the tractor, and the refusal to learn anything after what happened to Bianchi I would have blown a gasket too.

The race should have been a rolling start and all the teams should have been forced to start with wet tires. Of course we're saying that knowing what the outcome of the other decision was.

torga

Autocross Champion
A lot of good talking points, but I'm not overly surprised at the FIA. Why would they admit they were in the wrong? Should Gasly have been hauling that much ass, not at all; it's red flag conditions, chill. That being said, there was no reason the tractor should have been on the track until all of the cars were in the pits. It's amazing that it only took the FIA 8 years to make the same kind of mistake, at the same track, under the same conditions.

The restart, is how the race should have been started from the onset; behind the safety car and on wets. Get the cars around the track, generate some heat, move some water off the racing line.

I think they should do one of two things next year.

1. Start the race earlier. There is no reason they're running out of day light if there is a delay.
2. Move the when the races in Asia happen, maybe not in the middle or towards the end of Typhoon season? Maybe April, around Australia?

The full wet compound is too hard compared to the inters/slicks, there is no crossover between the wet or inter; if there was performance in the wet tire, the teams would use it. Seems that Max is doing side quests now that the WDC is wrapped up and has offered to help Pirelli during the next wet tire tests.

I read that option 2 is basically a non-starter, specifically for the Japanese GP. That's coming from the committee that handles the Suzuka contracts with the FIA. Their reasoning is they like having the Japanese GP when it is because it's in a part of the calendar that is likely to result in a title-deciding race, and they won't budge from that preference.

DangerDane2008

Drag Racing Champion
Isn’t George Russell on some board for the safety of driver’s? he should be out there publicly shaming the FIA for nearly killing Gasly.

Again, I’m not absolving gasly of all fault. But there were a LOT of common sense decisions that could’ve been made by the people in charge that would have prevented the whole thing from ever occurring at all. Especially after the FIA went on a “safety” rampage over Lewis’s nose ring.

Last edited: