GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

4motion swapped 2.5 turbo Variant Build

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Got the engine together today to mate up to the transmission. Still waiting on the TTRS crank pulley/dampener for arrive from overseas.

• Bosch 550cc injectors
  • EV14 harness pigtails for new injector harness
  • IE fuel rail and intake mainfold
  • All accessories installed minus the new crank pulley and AC compressor

Thumper

Autocross Champion
this ain't a build, it's art.

Totally. This is just amazing stuff, with incredible attention to detail. It's not just a swap, this is like building a one-off production car.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
this ain't a build, it's art.

Totally. This is just amazing stuff, with incredible attention to detail. It's not just a swap, this is like building a one-off production car.

work of art!

Thank you all for the kind words.

I appreciate that some people can understand my vision for this car. The goal was never to build a show car or a track monster, but rather a refined and feature-packed production car. If I was the designer/lead engineer on the Mk6 Variant platform, how would I have built the car? That's always been the goal. Thanks for following along!

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Got the intercooler fitted. Had to modify the crash bar by removing the lower lip on it and also notching the ends of the core support. After cutting, I smoothed out the crashbar with a sanding disc and then hand sanded the core support to smooth out the edges. Fit gets me about a 1/4" everywhere. I think I will have to do a light coat of black paint on the IC, as this is a little too "loud" for my taste.

I also finally got my TTRS crank pulley/dampener in-hand and installed. This will keep the belt in check with the turbo setup (I also have the lipped Boost Brothers lower tensioner pulley to help) and also free up about 10HP (dyno proven by Hank at Iroz Motorsport on this platform) in harmonics alone!

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
The front bumper is unpainted....is that new/different?
(I know you had the GTI style mesh pattern before)

This is a European R-Line front-end I had imported from Europe. All of the parts are new not primed or painted. Wont get painted until everything is back together at the very end so they don't get scratched or damaged during the constant mounting and dismounting involved with this project. I also have the SRS-Tech lower "sword" that will go with it. You can see the R-Line front-end below. Golf bumper with the large flanks similar to ED35, no side markers, slat grilles and circular fog lights.

SoWalGTI

Autocross Champion
Custom catch can fabricated by Adam Strunk showed up and was too badass not to take pictures of before the wrinkle black treatment.

This is a baffled, recirc setup made of stainless steel that was purged internally during welding. It's designed with an integrated bracket that mounts to the 07K/2.5 upper timing cover mount for an OEM+ fit and finish.

The ports on the can will run to the valve cover port, the oil filter housing (block breather) and then to the intake tract (return vapors).

You can find Adams work on his IG @adamstrunk He will make these in Titanium and Aluminum also.

aregister

Ready to race!
I forgot to post the installation pictures for the prop shaft.

Left: Mocked up on jack stands and connect to rear diff for positional purposes. Right: Welded in and color matched to factory spec.

Left: My poor welder making it happen on his back and above his head. Right: New heat shields in place and all bolted in!

Where did you source the driveshaft? I have been having pretty bad shudder from my build (4motion GTI, stock trans) and I suspect the center support bearing on that bad boy. Thanks! your build looks epic, keep it up!