GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Backfires on the DSG GTI?

ACgolf

Formula One Champion
I have driven an Audi A3 2.0T DSG manymany times now. In S mode, when i shift up from almost any gear at around 3500rpm-4500rpm the car backfires and makes a "booom" sound at the rear of the car. I was wondering do the DSG GTIs do that as well? I heard that it does. But want to hear more from other people whether it does or not. Don't know if you guys know what i am talking about... also apparently the manual cars don't do that both in the A3 or the GTI.

kirk180

Go Kart Champion
I don't think I would like that at all. Every time you get on it, it backfires? I know I couldn't stand when my motorcycle did it, so I think I would dislike a car doing it even more so. Can't believe I haven't seen this complained about before on this site.

ACgolf

Formula One Champion
This is not a complain from me~ I love the way how the A3 backfires everytime i drive it a bit harder and shift at the right spots~ It sounds amazing and i Love it. I am glad to hear that people are hearing this on the DSG GTI too. :)

marx92x

Autocross Newbie
I know and love the sound you're talking about but are you sure that it's a true back fire (spent fuel igniting in the exhaust pipe)? Couldn't it just be air being sucked back into the exhaust from the sudden change in back pressure?

ACgolf

Formula One Champion
marx92x said:
I know and love the sound you're talking about but are you sure that it's a true back fire (spent fuel igniting in the exhaust pipe)? Couldn't it just be air being sucked back into the exhaust from the sudden change in back pressure?

You could be right, since i am not 100% sure what really cause that sound. But my first thought was that is the sound of the backfires. Since it only happens during upshifts and when i am on the throttle.

Onikage

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm sure its not literally a backfire. He is just related the sound to it, but as long as it doesn't sound like a gunshot it might be ok.

sniperviperman

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
none
well, I only hear an exhaust plop plop after lifting the throttle at 6000 rpm and letting the engine do it's work to brake in 4th, 3rd 2nd and 1st gear

naughtyGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
06 DSG
There is no bang like a backfire. It's more like a poof...or a fart but not a bad sounding fart. I love it.

Kurupt

low
Car(s)
Jeep
kirk180 said:
I don't think I would like that at all. Every time you get on it, it backfires? I know I couldn't stand when my motorcycle did it, so I think I would dislike a car doing it even more so. Can't believe I haven't seen this complained about before on this site.
its not the same backfire its more of a gurgle