GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Backfires on the DSG GTI?

RJS5689

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
2006 MKV GTI
I think i am mistaken though, when you powershift the 1->2.... the loud boom is apprantly the ESP slaming on a front brake very quickly as discussed in a different post, its more of a boom, not a fart...my car doesnt fart.... :)

dwl137

Touring Car Champion
No the loud boom is from the driveline shock caused by the entire load of the engine being slammed into the gears in the transmission lift of the clutch after keeping the gas pedal pinned to the floor.

When you do that basically the engine is kept spinning at high rpm (5-6k) and when you let the clutch out it engages against gears that are barely spinning because the clutch was just in. The synchros in the transmission cant match that kind of speed that fast and there for it makes a boom as the power is slammed againt the gears inside. It's not good for the car, but does provide a faster and more powerful shift.

The method is really only used in racing applications because either they are beefed up internally in the transmission or they have dogcut gearboxes meant for it.

Also, the sound they're talking about is in the DSG only. You cant flatshift/powershift a DSG

MMD

Oval Champion
ACgolf said:
I have driven an Audi A3 2.0T DSG manymany times now. In S mode, when i shift up from almost any gear at around 3500rpm-4500rpm the car backfires and makes a "booom" sound at the rear of the car. I was wondering do the DSG GTIs do that as well? I heard that it does. But want to hear more from other people whether it does or not. Don't know if you guys know what i am talking about... also apparently the manual cars don't do that both in the A3 or the GTI.

heard it once when i did downshift 3-2 with sudden full throttle

3on1

Passed Driver's Ed
I really don't know, never hearing it or reading anything technical in this subject but someone said it was the engine closing the throttle during shifts. This sounds almost right to me but being that the DSG shifts so fast I think it is the ECU decreasing ignition timing for a split second to aid in shifting. The small amount of unburnt fuel is then ignited in the exhaust after the shift. Again I don't know it just makes the most sense to me.

damo

Oval Newbie
Anyone ? If you get an turbo back exaust is the sound more pronounced and crisp or does it go away ?:iono:

vw4ross

Autocross Champion
This is one issue that has been concerning me with my new GTI. Sometimes, this "burp" or "backfire" noise is pretty loud on my car. If I am cruising along in "D" around 25-30, hit the gas about half throttle to get up to 50 mph, the back fire noise is pretty loud as it upshifts to get up to speed. If I am just poking along going slow thru the gears, it is not noticeable....or even if I gun it at a stoplight, the sound is there, just not as pronounced. It sounds cool then. It just doesn't sound good in the scenario posted above.

Is this something to be concerned about, or is this really a normal sound for these cars? Just want to know before I call the service dept at the dealer.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
its really a normal sound...ive heard it on all of the DSG GTI's ive driven including the one i own

u wont hear it if your just hanging out cruising around...u will hear it real loud if your at full throttle and u upshift

Porschephile 924

mmmmmm... Boost......
Car(s)
1988 944 Turbo S
My Porsche and my best friend's MINI Cooper S both do this... I think it's a normal thing with high-performance engines... Love the sound... coming down from 6K RPM, and hearing the exhaust gurgle and pop a little... it's nifty.

Freek

Formula 5000 Driver
Porschephile 924 said:
My Porsche and my best friend's MINI Cooper S both do this... I think it's a normal thing with high-performance engines... Love the sound... coming down from 6K RPM, and hearing the exhaust gurgle and pop a little... it's nifty.

well the sound u are talking about isnt the same sound the rest of the thread is talking about :biggrin:

the sound we are talking about is the sound u get from the exhaust as u shift from 1st-2nd-3rd...the exhaust makes the weird farting sound that just sounds so damn cool

SSS_Hoon

Touring Car Champion
Car(s)
Nissan Pulsar SSS
yeah and the older the car is the louder and better it sounds also, wll i have found that too be the case with our car.

SSS_Hoon

vw4ross

Autocross Champion
SSS_Hoon said:
yeah and the older the car is the louder and better it sounds also, wll i have found that too be the case with our car.

SSS_Hoon

shoot...if the older the car is, the louder it sounds....then my car must have been a prototype MKV they built back in the late 1980's.:laugh:

heatmoon42

Passed Driver's Ed
i don't have a GTI ...yet. but with the DSG transmission, do you have to lift off the gas when shifting up like a normal standard? i'm assuming not, but just want that clarified

Jeppe

Drag Race Newbie
heatmoon42 said:
i don't have a GTI ...yet. but with the DSG transmission, do you have to lift off the gas when shifting up like a normal standard? i'm assuming not, but just want that clarified
No you don't.