GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

california new law

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I added more.

the wow was for the notion that we should ignore net subsidies per person, and focus only on gross subsidy.
Per person subsidies mean nothing. When a state gets bulk sums of federal money, they don't go around distributing that money to the people. Half of that money settles in officials' pockets, other half is used to fund dubious projects of dubious quality from which people don't benefit. Your appealing to subsidies per person is like talking to average salaries -- neither means anything.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Yet you seem to really care about what happens on the opposite coast. Show us on the doll where the bad state touched you.

The pentagon is a big factor in what? The amount of net subsidy/federal aid per capita that goes to Virginia? I’m not trying to be condescending, but do you understand what “net” means? Remove the military from VA, and that $10k+ goes up because there are fewer jobs and lower tax revenue to maintain the current standard. Most of the military and assorted contractors/civilian employees/etc do not receive these funds.

I can't show you that on the doll because that's private and personal between me and your Mom.

You do realize that the military budget is the largest portion of the discretionary federal budget allocated to the Department of Defense.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Typical Commie-fornia. The state flag minus well be a red hammer and sickle. I wonder if this applies to piggy-backs such as JB4, NPM, etc.
I don't know how testing works in California. If they put the car on rollers then it could show up if they put enough load on the engine and check the boost level. If they're smart they have the stock specs. I would have a hard time believing they strong-armed the manufacturers into giving them access to the ECUs. Even dealers need to hook up to the mothership.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I don't know how testing works in California. If they put the car on rollers then it could show up if they put enough load on the engine and check the boost level. If they're smart they have the stock specs. I would have a hard time believing they strong-armed the manufacturers into giving them access to the ECUs. Even dealers need to hook up to the mothership.
Why wouldn't the state have the power to get the necessary information from VW? They dictate everything else to the manufacturers.

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S DSG PP
Per person subsidies mean nothing. When a state gets bulk sums of federal money, they don't go around distributing that money to the people. Half of that money settles in officials' pockets, other half is used to fund dubious projects of dubious quality from which people don't benefit. Your appealing to subsidies per person is like talking to average salaries -- neither means anything.
"Half of that money settles in officials' pockets" You have evidence of that, or did you hear that on AM radio?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3

They don't. No rollers...if you have a 2k or newer vehicle. They just plug into your OBD port and do a visual inspection. If you buy your car new...you have 8 years before you have to smog. I don't have to smog till 2025. At least we don't have those yearly inspections.

CA also have counties that require NO smog.

I saw on EQT's Facebook page that the Cobb units received CARB approval...so now they can "legally" sell them in CA.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I can't show you that on the doll because that's private and personal between me and your Mom.

You do realize that the military budget is the largest portion of the discretionary federal budget allocated to the Department of Defense.

You do realize that the military budget, and any monies allocated to the DoD has absolutely fuck all to do with this conversation?

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car

Yes, but the point is the net payment from the fed to the state for social services is vastly greater per person in Virginia. If half of those funds are skimmed off the top, would love to see proof of this one, then you are saying Virginia is far more corrupt than even California.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Yes, but the point is the net payment from the fed to the state for social services is vastly greater per person in Virginia. If half of those funds are skimmed off the top, would love to see proof of this one, then you are saying Virginia is far more corrupt than even California.
Corruption is an abstract term and is quantified via other agreed upon factors.
As a general rule: the greater the flow of money, the greater the corruption. Thus, if California receives the sole largest sum of federal money, the greater the corruption.

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I don't know which side to take. The average grade for Federal civilians is GS-11. There are ten steps. and adjustments for high cost-of-living areas so it's not possible to get an actual average salary without a lot of research. In any state with personal income taxes military members don't pay it unless their residence of record is that state. Pretty easy to get around. I think comparatively few with DoD affiliation get public assistance. Maybe low-rank military with families. I wouldn't expect anyone working on the Pentagon, DLA HQ or the Richmond Supply Center is on public assistance. The last time I on a base in VA was along time ago so it was probably better then than now.

Mikejt1954

Passed Driver's Ed
Beginning July 19, California’s Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) will fail motor vehicles during their biennial “smog check” inspection if they are found to have software modifications not provided by the original-equipment manufacturer (OEM) or approved through a California Air Resources Board (CARB) Executive Order (EO).​
Lived in Ca for 60 years. They have, in no particular order, forced out MC after market manufacturers, surf board makers, gun and ammo makers, auto painters, paint makers, blah blah…oh, and all of us with a brain. But not to worry, our place was taken by plenty of illegal aliens, so all is well.

Mikejt1954

Passed Driver's Ed
They simply plug into the OBD. Rollers went out years ago

odessa.filez

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
how much of the Fed dollars received are in the form of social security and medicaid?

if these 'averages' include them, it would be wrong to draw conclusions from averages by state.

many people migrate to the South, especially FL when they retire. They contribute taxes from earned income in the North, then retire in the South just as their Federal entitlements kick in.