GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Car & Driver 1st Review

GGray

Ready to race!
I typically dismiss US automobile magazine reviews until I drive the car... They tend to gripe on one thing like a hound dog who tree'ed a bear...

I find it odd that all European reviews rave on the Golf R..

I am pretty sure with some light suspension work, ECU flash, and R compound tires the Golf R will be a devastatingly fast track tool...

People seem to be flogging them hard on the ring with little drama...

The up shift noise with DSG is pretty dam cool.. I may get arrested if I have one...

misaka

Ready to race!
I'm not talking about car enthusiasts.
I hate to come off this way, because for the most part I could care less about status or what people who don't know cars think about my car.
But, I'd feel differently if I had $40,000 to spend on a car.
The GTI makes sense to me, because you get a lot for a comparative little and it competes well with similarly optioned cars in its price range.
There's just this thing about the R (and it's the same for the MK6 R as well) where if I had the money to spend on one, I just wouldn't.

I tend to disagree, but I'm also dumb enough to spend 45k on a 30k base price car lol... which I guess is like paying 40k for a golf based car. At least with the Golf R you're actually getting a more powerful car for your money. Me, the car has the exact same drivetrain as the 32k version.

I think you get alot for your money with the GTI, and to a lesser extent with the Golf R. All this S3 comparison stuff ignores that if you option it up to the same degree, the S3 is more like 7-10k more.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
Great post Al, you captured many of the same reasons I too desire the R above the GTI.

I remember how I struggled financially back in the early 2000's and was unable to purchase a VW GTI. 14 years later, I can now comfortably afford the GTI's big brother.

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Looks are subjective, while you might think the red-stripe and slits look boy racer, I think 4 exhaust tips on a 4 cylinder says the same.
Just remove two of them or three:

stock:

Audi RS6 style:

more conventional:

understated:

R32-like:

:D:D:D:D

drustill

Ready to race!
For me, 40K is a helluva lot of money to spend on a car that people will mistake for a base Golf.

While I do agree, $40K is quite the premium for a "Golf" (I've had numerous people ask me if I spent under $20K on my Golf, in which I have to remind them that it IS a VW GTI), I think some are missing the point here.

Strip the "R" badge, the VW badge, strip everything. Just lay out every feature and option this car has for its price...put that into consideration (as well as the intangibles) and quickly come to realize that this car is in a very exclusive class.

Here in Canada, I'm counting down the days in which I can even order my MY16 R - and even though I've bitched and complained that I would walk over to Audi without features like LED tail-lights - I'm still here.

And I'm pretty sure I'm not going anywhere, either.

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
The new MK7 GTI is very hard to pass up these days.
Great bang for the buck.

Many, many improvements vs my '07 GTI.

And NOW, they offer LSD! Ugh!

Me personally, I need AWD and the most OEM HP VW has to offer.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Looks are subjective, while you might think the red-stripe and slits look boy racer, I think 4 exhaust tips on a 4 cylinder says the same.

While I agree with you about inherent aesthetic subjectivity, you do know that the 4 exhaust tips serve a purpose: the inner two pass exhaust all the time while the outer two only open under load, keeping the car quiet around town and when cruising but letting out a touch of snort when your foot is to the floor. You could do this with just two tips, but then you'd have one side expelling exhaust with the other one sitting idly, which would look odd especially on a cold day when the exhaust vapor is quite visible.

CKGOLFMK7

Ready to race!
I've driven the Mk7 GTI, and (obviously) not the R, but I'm still left wanting the R. Let me explain.

The new GTI is a remarkable car. It's very solid, handles well, makes bumps disappear, and accelerates quite nicely. If I couldn't spend more than $30K on a car, it'd be sitting in front of my house right now. But I can afford the $40K which VW is asking for the first 500 R's. I like the fact that the R might not feel quite as "lively" as the GTI, while it accelerates much faster or holds all 4 wheels on the tarmac as it goes through a corner at higher speeds than the GTI. There's a place for the types of cars that require you to throw everything you have into hustling it around corners as fast as you can--cars like the GTI and the STI--and as much as I enjoy that type of car very much, I've grown even fonder of cars which can move even faster through a curve but do so effortlessly and still leave you grinning afterwards. And from virtually all the reports which I've read about the R, that is precisely its forte. But that's only in the dry. In the rain and especially in the snow, review after review have praised how amazing the Golf R performs under those conditions. For one who on occasion watches his wife dive off on snow covered streets, that alone would make me willing to pay a premium over the GTI.

But there's more to why I've been waiting for well over a year to be able to buy the new Golf R, and not a GTI or an STI. To me, the GTI just looks a shade too gimmicky for my tastes. The red striping inside and out; those big plastic slits on the sides of the grille; they all say "hey look at me" in a way that Subaru only further magnifies to almost cartoonish levels. The R seems to have been designed to coolly say "why yes, I'm fast" with the reserve that only comes with confidence--substituting larger, functional, air ducts for the GTI's plastic slits, and deleting it's front wheel drive brethren's bright red striping, stitching, and lighting for silver accents, and blue and white illumination. In short, the R is a very hot hatchback without the "boy racer" looks and aura, which again suits me fine.

Let's not forget that this is a VW Golf, with its TARDIS-like capacity for fitting passengers and cargo, something which the S3 and STI simply can't match in their sedan configurations. And like all other MK7 Golfs with their MQB structure, the car is solid and built with great tactility all around--just like it's Audi cousin, and miles ahead of what Subaru provides.

But my last reason for buying the upcoming R over the GTI is something I'm a bit hesitant to admit: I like the exclusivity of the R. There is something to knowing that VW will be selling tens of thousands of GTI's in the US, but only a handful of R's (500 of the 2015 vintage). Most people on the street won't know nor notice, but I will, and that's important--at least to me. Just like 95% of the time when I drive I won't be pushing the car anywhere near its limits, but all the time which I'll be driving I'll be doing so knowing what the car could do if I chose to do so. And for that 5% of the rest of the time behind the wheel, I guess that's where Car & Driver and I will likely differ. . .

Well said, Al...!

Great read, and I completely agree!

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
While I agree with you about inherent aesthetic subjectivity, you do know that the 4 exhaust tips serve a purpose: the inner two pass exhaust all the time while the outer two only open under load, keeping the car quiet around town and when cruising but letting out a touch of snort when your foot is to the floor. You could do this with just two tips, but then you'd have one side expelling exhaust with the other one sitting idly, which would look odd especially on a cold day when the exhaust vapor is quite visible.

I'm aware, my R32 and BMWs of the past all did the same thing with just two tips too. I used to make fun of civics in the 90s and 00s with dual exhaust upgrades because dual exhausts used to mean you had a V shaped engine block under the hood. I know times have changed in the automotive world but 4 tips still seem like overkill for a 4 cyl to me. I'm all about function over form, having a smaller muffler and less tips would not only clean up the rear end and keep the understated look the rest of the car has but also reduce the overall weight and production cost of the car. I prefer the old center exhaust in the R's of yester-year too.

davewg

Ready to race!
I've driven the Mk7 GTI, and (obviously) not the R, but I'm still left wanting the R. Let me explain.

The new GTI is a remarkable car. It's very solid, handles well, makes bumps disappear, and accelerates quite nicely. If I couldn't spend more than $30K on a car, it'd be sitting in front of my house right now. But I can afford the $40K which VW is asking for the first 500 R's. I like the fact that the R might not feel quite as "lively" as the GTI, while it accelerates much faster or holds all 4 wheels on the tarmac as it goes through a corner at higher speeds than the GTI. There's a place for the types of cars that require you to throw everything you have into hustling it around corners as fast as you can--cars like the GTI and the STI--and as much as I enjoy that type of car very much, I've grown even fonder of cars which can move even faster through a curve but do so effortlessly and still leave you grinning afterwards. And from virtually all the reports which I've read about the R, that is precisely its forte. But that's only in the dry. In the rain and especially in the snow, review after review have praised how amazing the Golf R performs under those conditions. For one who on occasion watches his wife dive off on snow covered streets, that alone would make me willing to pay a premium over the GTI.

But there's more to why I've been waiting for well over a year to be able to buy the new Golf R, and not a GTI or an STI. To me, the GTI just looks a shade too gimmicky for my tastes. The red striping inside and out; those big plastic slits on the sides of the grille; they all say "hey look at me" in a way that Subaru only further magnifies to almost cartoonish levels. The R seems to have been designed to coolly say "why yes, I'm fast" with the reserve that only comes with confidence--substituting larger, functional, air ducts for the GTI's plastic slits, and deleting it's front wheel drive brethren's bright red striping, stitching, and lighting for silver accents, and blue and white illumination. In short, the R is a very hot hatchback without the "boy racer" looks and aura, which again suits me fine.

Let's not forget that this is a VW Golf, with its TARDIS-like capacity for fitting passengers and cargo, something which the S3 and STI simply can't match in their sedan configurations. And like all other MK7 Golfs with their MQB structure, the car is solid and built with great tactility all around--just like it's Audi cousin, and miles ahead of what Subaru provides.

But my last reason for buying the upcoming R over the GTI is something I'm a bit hesitant to admit: I like the exclusivity of the R. There is something to knowing that VW will be selling tens of thousands of GTI's in the US, but only a handful of R's (500 of the 2015 vintage). Most people on the street won't know nor notice, but I will, and that's important--at least to me. Just like 95% of the time when I drive I won't be pushing the car anywhere near its limits, but all the time which I'll be driving I'll be doing so knowing what the car could do if I chose to do so. And for that 5% of the rest of the time behind the wheel, I guess that's where Car & Driver and I will likely differ. . .

Yep, what he said :D

CalamityJ

For one who on occasion watches his wife dive off on snow covered streets, that alone would make me willing to pay a premium over the GTI.
Yeah, handing your wife the keys to the 300hp AWD car isn't going to stop that from happening. Think about it a little more. What you want in the snow is smoothness. Big turbos and a center diff making the car behave completely differently depending on load and throttle position is not what you want when you're losing control of lesser vehicles. My STI was one of the most nerve wracking Subarus to drive in snow and ice (and I have driven and owned a lot of them).