GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clutch upgrade questions

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
No need to drain oil to change rear main. When I did it my biggest snag was finding a socket shallow enough to add to my extension that would fit through the VAQ diff. Everything else went smooth with the exception of a few hard to reach bolts.

ccramerusc

Car(s)
17' GTI SE
So I'm stuck. For the life of me, I can't get the upper two bolts of the LSD out. There's just no way to get a wrench in there, much less get enough torque on them to get them off. I already got the small hex bolt from inside it out and I have everything else done and out of the way other than the LSD and the trans itself. Is the only option to drop the subframe?

Any suggestions?

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
So I'm stuck. For the life of me, I can't get the upper two bolts of the LSD out. There's just no way to get a wrench in there, much less get enough torque on them to get them off. I already got the small hex bolt from inside it out and I have everything else done and out of the way other than the LSD and the trans itself. Is the only option to drop the subframe?

Any suggestions?
They're a bitch. Get a ratcheting flex head wrench and go at them from the top. No need to drop the subframe.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion

Any suggestions?
What Jay said or I think I used a combination of very long extensions snaked into the wheel well.

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
long extensions and a swivel joint

ccramerusc

Car(s)
17' GTI SE
I got that bastard out of there! I used a standard 3/8 socket from the top and hit the ratchet downward with a big ass hammer through a strategically placed and sized piece of oak (about 18 inches long and 1/2" by 1/2"). The rear one was much easier to get to than the front one. Then I wedged a 2x4 scrap between the frame and engine as I moved the engine forward with a crow bar to give me enough space to get the LSD out.

Now onto the transmission itself. I have an engine support bar, so hopefully that will make things easier.
Thanks for your continued help.
Only one bloody knuckle so far.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
I got that bastard out of there! I used a standard 3/8 socket from the top and hit the ratchet downward with a big ass hammer through a strategically placed and sized piece of oak (about 18 inches long and 1/2" by 1/2"). The rear one was much easier to get to than the front one. Then I wedged a 2x4 scrap between the frame and engine as I moved the engine forward with a crow bar to give me enough space to get the LSD out.

Now onto the transmission itself. I have an engine support bar, so hopefully that will make things easier.
Thanks for your continued help.
Only one bloody knuckle so far.
When you remove the trans mount, lower the trans side with your support bar about 4 inches and you won't deal with wrestling it around the subframe.

-- the guy in Chicago who's quote you thought was too high and now is helping you for free

ccramerusc

Car(s)
17' GTI SE
-- the guy in Chicago who's quote you thought was too high and now is helping you for free

First off, thank you.
Secondly, it's not that your quote was too high. In fact you were significantly lower than anything around here. I just wanted to try and do it so that I can say I've done it. I have the time, tools, and heated garage, so I figure why not. I'm 8 hours in and only half done...

20220107_121822.jpg

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
First off, thank you.
Secondly, it's not that your quote was too high. In fact you were significantly lower than anything around here. I just wanted to try and do it so that I can say I've done it. I have the time, tools, and heated garage, so I figure why not. I'm 8 hours in and only half done...

View attachment 234988
I'm just playing around 😁 good on you to take on a new learning experience. Do it a couple dozen more times and you'll be able to do it all in about 6 hours.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'm dreading doing mine. I pride myself on doing things myself, but this seems like more than I want to do.

Any chance I can remove the trans with a 2 x 4?

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I'm dreading doing mine. I pride myself on doing things myself, but this seems like more than I want to do.

I think the job requires a 4x6 at the minimum.

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R

I honestly thought the removal wasn't that bad for my first go at this car. I'm not new to wrenching, just new to wrenching fully on this car. It's really pretty straight forward, albeit tedious.

ccramerusc

Car(s)
17' GTI SE
Now that I have the LSD on the floor and inspected it, I don't see why I needed to drain it before removing. Would it have leaked out around the shaft, or can I just refill it before installing? Seems like it would be much easier that way since it's a pain to get to once installed.

jay745

Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
Now that I have the LSD on the floor and inspected it, I don't see why I needed to drain it before removing. Would it have leaked out around the shaft, or can I just refill it before installing? Seems like it would be much easier that way since it's a pain to get to once installed.
You don't need to drain it. Definitely fill it beforehand if you already drained it