GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Computer build help

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
660 is a good mid-range card and exactly what I would recommend if you want to get something beyond the integrated graphics. It should run most games on good settings on a single monitor. I run a 670 for gaming on 3 monitors.

I use the Logitech Wave combo myself. Love the Wave keyboard, the mouse is OK. Mine is starting to wear out now (keys getting harder to press, sort of like they are sticking) but it has seen heavy use since 2007 or 2008. My next set will probably be a wired set with a mechanical keyboard though as I now have a separate media center PC and no need for wireless on my main PC. I don't think you can go wrong with the Logitech products.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
I just redid the wifes computer, she's rocking a 660, it's great. Hardware has REALLY caught up to software. There are few games you'd find problems playing with a 660 (@ 1920x1080 lols if lower) because of that. Sure you might not be able to run the crazy high anti-aliasing stuff but I can't even tell a difference with the crazy high ultra stuff or just medium-high settings.

The 660ti is for those people that want 670 performance for $50 cheaper. A mild OC on a 660ti = a 670, and it can go above and beyond a 670 because it's on keplar tech rather than fermi, so it draws less power, runs less hot, ergo, it can be OC'd more than a 670, and be faster than one.

Last edited:

Shini

Go Kart Champion

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
They didn't seem THAT similar. Higher in Stream processors, memory clock, memory size, 384bit to 256. Figured it was the better of the cards. I'm trying to get something that can handle some decent games without having to get a $500 card.

AlfaMikeF0xtr0t

Ready to race!
This is why I hate picking out video cards. Cards are so similar yet have big price gaps. So how does AMD justify charging the extra $100? Just because it's AMD?

I guess I might as well just stick with the 660 and deal with whatever games i can run at first.

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
Yeah there's a lot of conflicting information and fanboyism in video card selection. But to be clear it's the 660 ti that is competitive with the 7950 and is around the same price.

Though in this example you can see the Radeon's consistently beating out the GeForce selection especially as you ramp up AA.

Left to simple hardware the 7950 is a superior card...but throw in driver software and game design and it's all up in the air again.

Shini

Go Kart Champion
This is why I hate picking out video cards. Cards are so similar yet have big price gaps. So how does AMD justify charging the extra $100? Just because it's AMD?

I guess I might as well just stick with the 660 and deal with whatever games i can run at first.

Completely different clocks and bus speeds yet similar performance, you'd think the one with higher everything would be better :p - There are some thing that the 7950 will be better at than the 660, and vice versa, but on average, they're going to be similar

It's tha architecture that nvidia has atm, Keplar is just awesome. AMD was the lead runner for a long time, but Nvidia really stepped up their game with their 6xx series cards. (save for the 670 - rebranded fermi card!)

Yeah there's a lot of conflicting information and fanboyism in video card selection. But to be clear it's the 660 ti that is competitive with the 7950 and is around the same price.

Though in this example you can see the Radeon's consistently beating out the GeForce selection especially as you ramp up AA.

Left to simple hardware the 7950 is a superior card...but throw in driver software and game design and it's all up in the air again.

A mild OC brings the 660 to the performance of a 660 Ti anyway, and it's not a HUGE difference like 660 -> 680...660 is a great bargain buy. Good Price to Performance ratio.

He's right though, there is a lot of fanboyism out there. I was a die hard ATI/AMD person for a long time, but that was because they were kicking ass in cards for a long time :p

Poltergeist

Ready to race!
all good suggestions and good choices.
dont forget to get a stage 1 tune on ur cpu and add the apr intake on the case.
:D

sent from crappy phone with typos

Shini

Go Kart Champion
I was, then I stopped building desktops for msyelf and got into the rat race that is gaming laptops.

Water cooling is a little much for what you're trying to get out of your build btw. You can get a good heatsink for around $20-30 bucks and save some money that way if you'd like :)

Last edited:

nouse4aname

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't bother with the h80i unless you just want it for the novelty of it.

The Hyper 212 Evo performs at about the same level for $35(h80 doing slightly better at max load and the Evo doing better at idle). Plus the hydro introduces additional sound/point of failure with the pump. You're not in any danger of overloading the Evo with this build, especially if not overclocking.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
The 7950 is actually MUCH better than the 660, hence the price difference. It is on par with the 670. Most of the reviews and benchmarks you see are from when the 7950 first launched and had poorly optimized drivers. There was a big update since then and now the 7950 is the best "high end on a budget" card for most games, especially at higher resolutions. If I were buying a new card today I'd buy the 7950 over my 670.

Summary: 660 is adequate for decent settings, 7950 will run max settings. It is worth the extra money IF you want to spring for a better card.