GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dsg pop (fart)

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
The ignition doesn't cut, the injectors turn off fuel delivery. Unburned fuel would be really bad for emissions and the catalytic converter...

The ECU turns off the fuel, and the engine continues the normal air intake and compression cycle. The energy required to compress the air helps bring the engine RPM down for the upshift to the next gear by the DSG transmission.

Sa-Gti2

Passed Driver's Ed
The ignition doesn't cut, the injectors turn off fuel delivery. Unburned fuel would be really bad for emissions and the catalytic converter...

The ECU turns off the fuel, and the engine continues the normal air intake and compression cycle. The energy required to compress the air helps bring the engine RPM down for the upshift to the next gear by the DSG transmission.

Thanks for the explanation bud, thought it worked the same as a wotbox.

Vancity2Constantinople

2.Sloooo n loww
Car(s)
2010 Golf 2.5L Sport
Ready for the answer??

Fuel cut off and gear timing. The fart like sound is unique to the dsg, but sound from fuel cut off is universal for fast gear changing cars.

/thread.

Audi rs5 has it too.

GGray

Ready to race!
That is an engineered feature has zero to do with it being funny, just for sound, on a turbo car the overrun keeps the turbo on boost between gear changes instead of opening the waste gate like an older turbo car does when you shift and you hear the blow off valve..

Its a pretty slick piece of engineering/programing.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Cheers for that.

I was changing gears quite fast, and it was definitely making that noise. Will try and get a video up somehow. :)

My R does it when I do fast gear change during full acceleration, it’s a manual car.…….. and it’s for sure fuel cut.

Like it :D.

/Peter

Richard Mk7

Ready to race!
it's fuel cut off.

Cool cheers.

My R does it when I do fast gear change during full acceleration, it’s a manual car.…….. and it’s for sure fuel cut.

Like it :D.

/Peter

It's a great sound.

I'm so happy I went for manual transmission over the DSG. Manual trans is a drivers car ;)

Go through a tunnel and shift in boost, orgasmic.

There is a short tunnel on the way back from work ;)

It'll make my journey home more exciting now lol.

Stabs

Does manual get a pop

Hi all. I'm about to put a deposit on the new Golf R Mk7. Before I put my deposit down I want to know can you get the DSG pop from the manual? I have test driven the DSG and can distinctly hear the pop in the R'. As the R' manual is not due to hit Australian shores till later in the year I can not test drive it.

As I love driving manuals I would prefer to put my deposit on the manual. I test drove the DSG and loved it... But would prefer to save the money and get the manual.....But if the manual doesn't give off that pop, I would probably go the DSG.

Any advice would be great.

gtiw7

Ready to race!
Hi all. I'm about to put a deposit on the new Golf R Mk7. Before I put my deposit down I want to know can you get the DSG pop from the manual? I have test driven the DSG and can distinctly hear the pop in the R'. As the R' manual is not due to hit Australian shores till later in the year I can not test drive it.

As I love driving manuals I would prefer to put my deposit on the manual. I test drove the DSG and loved it... But would prefer to save the money and get the manual.....But if the manual doesn't give off that pop, I would probably go the DSG.

Any advice would be great.

manual won't give the pop.

having owned both transmission on previous GTIs; DSG is great & definitely faster, but personally manual is more fun. unfortunately manual wasn't offered in my country hence I went with DSG which has its own merits.

you really can't go wrong with this car's transmission option. toss a coin :p

SixSpeeder

Go Kart Champion
manual won't give the pop.

^ This. It's unique to the DSG because of the ECU cutting fuel for the super quick shifts. Get the manual if you have more fun driving one, but know that you are sacrificing performance for driving enjoyment. Personally, I enjoy driving the DSG over the manual, and that's coming from a guy who usually always chooses manual if it's an option on a car.

My 08 GTI had a DSG, my 2013 GTI had a manual, and now my 2015 GTI has a DSG. It's a far superior transmission vs an old fashioned stick shift. Plus the DSG has a very nice manual mode (which mine is usually always in), but the manual's automatic mode is slightly lacking. ;)

Stabs

Thanks for all your advice. Think I will just have to wait a few more months till the manual is available in Australia. I'll test drive it then make my decision. Really enjoy that pop though. Think I will eventually have to go DSG.