GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EVOMS V-FLow

frank2287

Touring Car Newbie
meaning this intake will be better in the cold but when its hot out the carbonio i believe will be more consistent on its power but from wut im hearing now that its horrible and really isnt making much of anything i guess but i couldnt tell you i wanna see it, the main reason i like it is because caronio will be sold at factory stores and will be warented were this one is just going to hurt u in that field. Do you have to take off your engine cover for this intake??

Anders @ EVO

Go Kart Champion
frank2287 said:
meaning this intake will be better in the cold but when its hot out the carbonio i believe will be more consistent on its power but from wut im hearing now that its horrible and really isnt making much of anything i guess but i couldnt tell you i wanna see it, the main reason i like it is because caronio will be sold at factory stores and will be warented were this one is just going to hurt u in that field. Do you have to take off your engine cover for this intake??

You shouldn't have any warranty problems with our intake. Our intakes are sold at all the local dealerships here in AZ, they don't have a problem with it.You are just as likely to void a warranty with any aftermarket intake, none is less voidable than another. The Magnuson-Moss warranty act regulates dealerships voiding warranties. Federal law says they CAN NOT void a warranty without proving the part you modified caused the problem...

what sort of problem are you anticipating with this particular modification? Is it a MAF sensor? If it is a MAF sensor then we custom oil EVERY filter measuring down to the gram of oil applied to make sure they are oiled properly, one of VERY FEW companies that do that to make sure it is consistent. If you are concerned about blown motor or any other severe problem then it is not OUR intake in specific and the modification in general that you are concerned about.

Also, the carbonio doesn't offer any "cold" airflow advantage over ours... if you look at the factory airbox it IS NOT a closed system. The airbox has ducts underneath the filter that draws in air as well. This means that "Hot engine air" is getting into the airstream as well as the cold, who knows the mix 50/50?. Since our system eliminates this completely we do not have any open part of our system to the engine other than the heatshield...I'd almost be willing to bet that you would get more "cold air" with ours than carbonios for this reason...100% speculation of course!!

Please try to keep in mind however, that air temperature has little to NOTHING to do with power gains from an intake. If it is blatantly pulling in nothing but hot air, and one is pulling in SIGNIFICANTLY cooler than there may be a difference (on a naturally aspirated motor). Since the air has to be compressed the temperature value of the air before compression will have VERY LITTLE barring on the after compression temperature value, not to mention it has to go through an intercooler as well..... Power comes from design, and removal of restriction - #1 restriction on this car is the factory engine cover, it needs to be removed if you are looking for solid gains.

Whafrodamus

Walnuts, bitch.
Car(s)
2010 MK6 GTI
Anders, I don't believe any of this intake jibba jabba... Send me one and I'll see what I think about it :p..

.. Okay, I'm a horrible lier. I really think that you've created a top notch intake for the MKV and I can't wait till it comes out! Weeeee :)

sublyme

Touring Car Champion
Ive always been skeptical of intake air temperature on a turbo car because of the compression of air that the turbo performs which ends up heating it up as suggested by Anders @ EVO. I have however though, noticed that on cold days, turbo cars will perform alot better than on hot days, my only guess would be due to heat soak on the intercooler causing hotter air temperatures to enter the engine than you would on a non-heat soaked intercooler. Not sure how correct this is, but if so then I can agree with what Anders is saying.

I did create a home-made cold air box surrounding my pod filter on my old car (Nissan 200sx or 240sx as you guys in the US would call it with the SR20DET engine) and found a noticable low end power increase through the fact that it would take off alot smoother from a stand still. How could you explain the improvements there? As the amount of heat soak on the intercooler would not be affected by the cold air box?

Faster2.0

Go Kart Champion
This question is directed to Anders. My concern lies with now having the intake filter almost directly behind the "ram air" scoop. Don't get me wrong, this intake is a beautiful design but, can rain now come in the scoop and thus enter the filter? Do you offer those filter covers like K&N does?

Tay2610

Autocross Newbie
We must stand up for the credibility of tuning, and demand realistic test data!That we may subject it till further intervention..........?:smoking:

Anders @ EVO

Go Kart Champion
sublyme said:
I have however though, noticed that on cold days, turbo cars will perform alot better than on hot days, my only guess would be due to heat soak on the intercooler causing hotter air temperatures to enter the engine than you would on a non-heat soaked intercooler. Not sure how correct this is, but if so then I can agree with what Anders is saying.

I did create a home-made cold air box surrounding my pod filter on my old car (Nissan 200sx or 240sx as you guys in the US would call it with the SR20DET engine) and found a noticable low end power increase through the fact that it would take off alot smoother from a stand still. How could you explain the improvements there? As the amount of heat soak on the intercooler would not be affected by the cold air box?

You are 100% correct in assuming the power retention/loss on cold/hot days is from the intercooler efficiency.

The other question I am afraid I do not have an answer to. There is data that says a heatshield will decrease intake temps, which is why we have ALWAYS designed our intakes with heatshields to do just that, however little "actual testable" gains have been seen by doing so. We have incorporated them into our systems as more of a precaution than a benefactor.

Anders @ EVO

Go Kart Champion
Faster2.0 said:
This question is directed to Anders. My concern lies with now having the intake filter almost directly behind the "ram air" scoop. Don't get me wrong, this intake is a beautiful design but, can rain now come in the scoop and thus enter the filter? Do you offer those filter covers like K&N does?

We do have filter "socks" and they are always available...however they really are not necessary with this system. The filter is not in DIRECT path of the incoming air/water(should there be any). The air flows into the mostly sealed box creating a chamber of "cooler air". Should water get into this "chamber" it will seep out the bottom. However, a little water never hurt anybody, I would say you have virtually the same chance of injesting any damaging amount of water with our system as you do with the stock intake. I feel very comfortable writing off "waterlock" as any potential risk/worry.

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
I just want to know when I can buy one....

Anders @ EVO

Go Kart Champion
soon....very very soon. We are getting ready for a Pre-release special coming some time next week on the Vwvortex, so you may want to check the MK5 and the 2.0T forums every so often starting next week!!

loccusst

FIA GT Champion
Car(s)
MKV GTI
Their website accepts Paypal.