GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

FML, wrenching today turned out bad

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
I'm not sure why exactly, but OP can confirm / elaborate, but he removed the bolt completely and then started the engine and moved the car after lowering it from the jack stands, and moving the car onto the ramps for better access. I'll go back and read to confirm.

^ This is how the damage happened.

As an experienced tech, and an enthusiast who has messed with the dogbone mount multiple times, I didn't know doing this would cause the issue it did, so while it seems /palmface worthy in hindsight, its not something that would cross your mind at first as a possible issue.

After seeing the damage and doing a visual inspection it makes sense, just surprising.

There's a fairly decent chance that when he moved the car, he accidentally pulled the metal portion out of the subframe enough so that the bolt could stick in behind it. It probably would still wheel hop less as the engine mounts would be bound up due to the the amount of twist on the motor. That amount of damage is not something that could be created in a very short time.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
There's a fairly decent chance that when he moved the car, he accidentally pulled the metal portion out of the subframe enough so that the bolt could stick in behind it. It probably would still wheel hop less as the engine mounts would be bound up due to the the amount of twist on the motor. That amount of damage is not something that could be created in a very short time.

Oh I get what you mean, when he put the bolt back it wasn't going through the eye of the mount, but behind it. Durp, my bad, thanks for explaining it again. After going back and reading your original post again I can't believe I couldn't understand. You the real MVP in this thread. I explained what happened and you explained how it happened. Awesome.

Last edited:

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
If OP put the car in gear and let it roll back on ramps, this would happen:

Figure 1 is the car putting torque against the gearbox in park/in gear. Figure 2 is how the dogbone should be. Figure 3 is how it is currently. The engine "feels" more solid because the top two mounts are currently loaded up due to all the extra tilt the motor has on it due to the dogbone being incorrectly mounted. That would cause the engine to contact cooling system components on cruise/decel as the dogbone is not really holding the motor at all.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Going above and beyond for the sake of education, I might be in love!

Edit: And if that was all just to try to get me to understand what you were talking about, since that diagram took some time, I really appreciate you doing that instead of insulting me, which is what I would have done in your place.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

Attachments

• hUNAo.jpg
    hUNAo.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:

777-300ER

Go Kart Newbie
Going above and beyond for the sake of education, I might be in love!

Edit: And if that was all just to try to get me to understand what you were talking about, since that diagram took some time, I really appreciate you doing that instead of insulting me, which is what I would have done in your place.

I honestly made the diagram to explain myself. Sometimes my ideas don't come across clearly, especially at 1AM running on 2 hours of sleep.

Soo... How does Outback at 7 sound? :p

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I tried putting my car up on ramps last weekend. Too low for the ramps my dad had, so I tried backing up onto them and the car didn't like that at all. It was "cutting" the throttle oon me and it almost sounded like it was hitting a rev limiter. (i know thats not what it was doing but thats the clsoest comparison I could get) And they kept slipping, so I ended up jacking up the car and setting it down on the ramps. Its scary when you dont incrementally raise it up... I wish I had brought all 4 of my jack stands but I only brought 2

Cowzill00

Ready to race!
Liked the car, didn't "love" it. The brakes and handling are amazing, like Kate Upton body, amazing.

That's a super model analogy I'd expect to see with a Panamera before a 911. lol

Interesting that you're at least the second Porsche fan I've seen on this forum who's converted to the GTI. Quite a testament to this car's fun factor I think.

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
OP we've all done stupid shit on our cars / bikes. Learn by our mistakes as they say. Unless you're a mechanic by trade and have made enough mistakes to have learned to really limit any future mistakes then you're gonna make mistakes.. In this instance driving the car back and forth without the dogbone fully secured was a mistake you'll never make again, and hopefully anyone reading this post, will keep it in mind.

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
I tried putting my car up on ramps last weekend. Too low for the ramps my dad had, so I tried backing up onto them and the car didn't like that at all. It was "cutting" the throttle oon me and it almost sounded like it was hitting a rev limiter. (i know thats not what it was doing but thats the clsoest comparison I could get) And they kept slipping, so I ended up jacking up the car and setting it down on the ramps. Its scary when you dont incrementally raise it up... I wish I had brought all 4 of my jack stands but I only brought 2

guys Costco do some really nice 3 ton aluminum trolley jacks for $99. I've always had one but for only $99 now i have two and my life is so much easier for anything relating to lifting the car.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
I have a trolley jack and my dad has one too, but you still need jack stands or something once its in the air. Cant lift two sides with one jack lol

Just find the car's center of gravity and lift the whole thing from 1 spot!

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Just find the car's center of gravity and lift the whole thing from 1 spot!

Single post lift with no arms on it. Just don't push or pull anything too hard

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Well if we knew that you moved the car with the dogbone mount disconnected, this whole thread wouldn't have blown up like it did.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Editing this post out because I didn't read the rest of the thread to see Wrath stood up and actually helped diagnose. Good on him.

Didn't appreciate that bullshit "commie" post AT ALL from OP though. It's prejudiced trash and doesn't belong here or anywhere.

Keep that garbage to yourself.

Last edited: