GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf 8 - Wireless Charging behaviour

Lui75

Thanks to Massimo’s post my VW service is substituting the faulty wireless charger with a new one next Thursday. I will let you know if my iPhone12 mini and 13 work with the newly installed part.

EDIT (01/03/2023): I got a new wireless charger, in my case the new one is the 3G0.980.611 33S - the problem still persists. The only way to let the charger charge my iPhone is by taking out the mat and disconnecting the antenna from the charger.
So there is no solution, at least for me, I am not gonna change my phone because of VW's bad and wrong engineering. The only solution is to disconnect the charger completely and use a cable.
I am considering to ask for a refund for the faulty optional I paid for. I only need to find out how to file a complain and ask for a refund. If someone could be of help, I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone know if the new range of iPhone 15 family makes any difference to this 'failing behaviour'?

ghostwalker

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I‘ve found in nearly 6 months and 3500 miles, that with a 15 Pro Max, the charging is fine but you have to close the cover when you put it on the pad. Other than that, no issues.

I suppose it could also relate to the size of the phone you use? Smaller phones may have more room to move around while they’re in the bay. But if it wants to do Apple Pay, I suspect it’s a software issue either with your mobile device or OS, or the car maybe requiring an update?
Anyone know if the new range of iPhone 15 family makes any difference to this 'failing behaviour'?

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
Well I‘ve found in nearly 6 months and 3500 miles, that with a 15 Pro Max, the charging is fine but you have to close the cover when you put it on the pad. Other than that, no issues.

I suppose it could also relate to the size of the phone you use? Smaller phones may have more room to move around while they’re in the bay. But if it wants to do Apple Pay, I suspect it’s a software issue either with your mobile device or OS, or the car maybe requiring an update?

How did you manage 6 months with the 15 Pro Max when it was released 2 months 1 week ago?

I just tested with the 15 Pro and still the same issue. Doesn't charge. Well, it does for about 3 seconds, then the Qi Charging icon turns red, and a message pops up on screen saying charging wasn't possible and to remove all other items from the tray area. Continually frustrating.

ghostwalker

Passed Driver's Ed
How did you manage 6 months with the 15 Pro Max when it was released 2 months 1 week ago?

I just tested with the 15 Pro and still the same issue. Doesn't charge. Well, it does for about 3 seconds, then the Qi Charging icon turns red, and a message pops up on screen saying charging wasn't possible and to remove all other items from the tray area. Continually frustrating.

Haha well half with the older model - well spotted 😂

Do you have a case on your phone out of interest? I wonder if the problem affects those who don’t like the biggest phones because then it’ll have more room to move around in the tray. Myself and a friend have max sized phones and haven’t had an issue. Obviously we have light cases on them too

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
Haha well half with the older model - well spotted 😂

Do you have a case on your phone out of interest? I wonder if the problem affects those who don’t like the biggest phones because then it’ll have more room to move around in the tray. Myself and a friend have max sized phones and haven’t had an issue. Obviously we have light cases on them too
We've tried with 12 Mini, 15, 15 Pro, all with and without a case, all whilst driving and sitting idle (phone not sliding around) and always with the tray area empty.

So strange. But nice to know others' have it working.

What cover are you referring to?

daveb15

Ready to race!
We've tried with 12 Mini, 15, 15 Pro, all with and without a case, all whilst driving and sitting idle (phone not sliding around) and always with the tray area empty.

So strange. But nice to know others' have it working.

Does your car have the mobile key option or keyless entry fitted?

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie

Presumably @ghostwalker is referring to the cover in the picture below. Maybe it’s not fitted to all trim levels of Golf in the model range?
IMG_0384.jpeg

daveb15

Ready to race!
I think it is down to your keyless entry. Some cars with keyless entry have the option to use mobile key, where your mobile phone becomes your car key and to start your car you have to place your phone on the charging mat. Cars with this ability have an NFC reader in the charging mat and therefore this is probably why your get the Apple Pay prompt. People who iPhone charging ok don’t have the mobile key prep.

Ironically mobile key only works on android at the moment.

How do I set up my smartphone to assign Mobile Keys?
The prerequisite for the use of mobile keys is that you have a valid Volkswagen ID and a valid "VW Connect" or "We Connect" contract. In addition, your vehicle must be prepared ex works for the use of mobile keys. To set up your smartphone for allocation, proceed as follows:

Install the Volkswagen app on your smartphone and log in with your Volkswagen ID.
  1. Open the Volkswagen app: Go to "Settings" in the vehicle tab > go to Mobile key > Continue > "Start checking" > allow access to the device.
  2. Now it is checked whether the smartphone itself meets the technical requirements. The last test step refers to the existence of the identity check. If this (Volkswagen Ident or Video Ident) was not already conducted, it must be carried out.
  3. Go to vehicle tab > settings > mobile key
  4. Select a key voucher > select "Create for me" > select "Continue in the vehicle now"
  5. Then go to the vehicle > here the necessary V-TAN is generated > retrieve vTAN in the vehicle: Switch on the ignition - > usually a message appears automatically, "a vTAN is available" - retrieve now? Manual retrieval of the vTAN: Menu -> user -> key symbol -> Retrieve vTAN
  6. Meanwhile in the App: choose "Start setup" > enter S-PIN > enter V-TAN (displayed in the infotainment system).
  7. Subsequently, the mobile key is set up and stored in a secure storage area on the smartphone.
  8. At the end, the mobile key is set up and can be used.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
The cover is fitted on the Golf 8 Gti/Gtd/Gte and R as standard.

So The digital key(Pr-Code: 9F1) and the mobile phone interface (Pr-code: 9IJ) are 2 separate options.

The wireless charging pad for digital key (9F1) which contains an Nfc reader is Part number 3G0980611
The wireless charging pad with the antenna booster (Pr-code: 9IJ) is part number 5NA980611
While the wireless charging pad without the antenna booster function (Pr-code: 9ZV) is 5NA980611A
For the Golf 8 built before the 06/09/2021 the 5NA980611 was installed for both 9IJ and 9ZV.
Obviously for those with 9ZV that have the 5NA980611 installed the antenna booster will not work because of missing hardware.

9F1: 3G0980611.jpg

9ZV:5na980611a.jpeg
9IJ: 5na980611.jpeg

Last edited:

p.eTSI

Passed Driver's Ed
Cars with this ability have an NFC reader in the charging mat and therefore this is probably why your get the Apple Pay prompt. People who iPhone charging ok don’t have the mobile key prep.

Fantastic point. I think you've identified the source of the problem. The NFC/Apple Pay thing makes total sense.

Are you suggesting, that completing the set up of smartphone to assign Mobile Keys (the 8 steps you list) will remove the problem and simply allow the phone to charge? Even though we have iPhones and you state Mobile Key only works with Android as of now?

Even though our Golf8 has the mobile key option ticked, we never bothered to set it up.