GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GolfMKV Fixed Gear Riders

ewoksamonsta!

half man half beast
Haha, are you on LA Fixed? Do you really drive a VW bus, and if so did you post your picture in the car/truck thread on LAF? lol

Haha surprisingly i am not to be honest. Yes the VW bus is a handed down car from my uncle back in his hippie days, but i drive my 74 Chevelle most of the time.

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Haha surprisingly i am not to be honest. Yes the VW bus is a handed down car from my uncle back in his hippie days, but i drive my 74 Chevelle most of the time.

Ahhh ok, because I'm on there. I thought you were too because someone posted a VW bus in the car/truck thread and thought it might've been you. I know a bunch of people from local rides and stuff that's why, a lot of vets on there are roadies now. I wear lycra, but still ride fixed as you can see-- I need to save up for a roadie for longer rides. P.S. There is a local ride at Silverlake called "T.R.F.K.A.S." (The Ride Formerly Known As Silverlake) on Wednesdays. The guys who started that are pretty fast. There's another ride in Pasadena by PCC called 626 Sunday Night Racoons... those guys are mostly roadies and fast as shit, but they allow fixed gear riders too (if you can keep up).

ewoksamonsta!

half man half beast
Ahhh ok, because I'm on there. I thought you were too because someone posted a VW bus in the car/truck thread and thought it might've been you. I know a bunch of people from local rides and stuff that's why, a lot of vets on there are roadies now. I wear lycra, but still ride fixed as you can see-- I need to save up for a roadie for longer rides.

ohhh no fucking way! wooooow.... I am planning on getting a good roadie as well for some longer trips. Two nights ago we did 42 miles on our single speed bikes and to be honest, i didnt think my bike would take such beating through different terrains (dirt, gravel, fucked up pavement in certain parts of LA). I've seen very few vets riding on my side of town. But like you said, hipster ***s seem to have traveled to South Gate and i fucking hate it.

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
ohhh no fucking way! wooooow.... I am planning on getting a good roadie as well for some longer trips. Two nights ago we did 42 miles on our single speed bikes and to be honest, i didnt think my bike would take such beating through different terrains (dirt, gravel, fucked up pavement in certain parts of LA). I've seen very few vets riding on my side of town. But like you said, hipster ***s seem to have traveled to South Gate and i fucking hate it.

LOL, nice man... yeah I feel ya :frown:. I did a quick 12 miles or so up the Montebello hills and around the mall and had issues with gravel and stuff too by the riverbed/back trails lol-- 10PMish... haven't ridden in a while so it was a toughy, but felt good afterwards. What SS are you riding now? What roadie are you planning to get?

You should join LA Fixed dude. There are good stuff on the for sale threads, and there are a lot of entertaining threads too like the "Bike Pr0n" thread with nice bikes, and the "Anti Pr0n" thread with the fugly hipster bikes, etc. lol. Although there are a handful of vets on there who are trolls... other than that, there are a lot of cool people and local rides/discussions. People that say fixie (hipsters) or post pics of their bad builds get flamed to shits.

Sterling

Steel Tip
LOVE the fuji!

i'm embarrassed by all these hipsters riding around the city now.
i facepalm every time i see them riding around acting like jackass's
thinking they're hot stuff with their cool "fixies"

GRRRR

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Thanks Sterling. Yep! Welcome to the anti-fixies/hipsters club. lol :mad0259:

VDUBMkV///C

Intergalactic smugness
Not a fixed gear but here's my baby. Bike passed down from my dad who got it from an old girlfriend back in i think 1976. Been in our garage for most of its life.

DSC_0003 by oemminus, on Flickr

Jax$MkV

GolfMKV Veteran
Ooooo nice Peugeot! Damn, that thing is pristine condition. :eyebulge:

A Selle San Marco Rolls or even Brooks B17 would set that road bike off nicely.

itskv

APR Stage II+
what do you guys recommend for a starter? new to this but I've ridden my friends fixed gear before, just dont know much about these

RevoGLI

i <3 canada land
hella old bump but I see its appropriate now. picked up a specialized langster after I got sick of constantly searching and waiting on craigslist. 110% happy with this bike and I'm glad I got one new and not a built one off a local.

I used to ride my mountain bike, also a specialized, but riding on the street took so much effort since a lot of pedal effort is absorbed by the shocks. my friend managed to flip it, only 180 degrees...so he landed on his face. while it, and him, were in the 'shop', I rented a specialized tarmac (2009) and was instantly hooked on road biking. But since my ride to school is flat, I started looking into single speeds.

I switched over from the freewheel to the fixed hub last week and its so much easier to ride plus I never really use my brakes anyways. commute is so flat and perfectly straight that I can ride no hands the whole way lol.

first day in the garage:

going up to school with me:

only things I've done besides flipping it to the fixed hub, is a new seat. picked up a bontrager cromo, so much more comfortable. also removed the reflectors.

I picked up this bike about a month ago. I was a sponsored DH/DS rider a while back and have done a bit of road riding in the past as well. I bought this looking for a new challenge. I'm still riding it freewheel, but will probably switch over to fixed when I get clip-less pedals. It's a Gavin Fisso. I haven't ridden a steel bike in a long time and it feels awesome. Very plush compared to aluminum and composites.