GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Good 1st Choice Motorcycles

nikitynick

EurotrashSD Dubber
I'm looking to get my first bike, and wanted some help narrowing my choices down. I currently have been looking into a 250ninja, but am now thinking i may get bored with it very quickly. however i dont want to get something too big to start off, since i know myself and would probobly have trouble fighting the temptation to go fast and am a small guy (5'8 and 135lbs). im almost positive its not a good idea to go straight to 600, although really its what i want. id rather spend some extra time and money than end up paralzed or dead on the side of the ride. anyway, from the experienced guru's who have been down this road, any words of advice?

BossDuB27

Illuminati
Buy a 600 but just dont push it to the limit and beyond what youre able to handle. As long as you dont do dumb shit on it you should be fine

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner
250 ninja just like you said.
You wrote that its your 1st bike, so i'm gonna assume your a total beginner, which is fine. we all need to start somewhere.

My opinion would be to take a safety class & learn the basic principles. Then buy a used 250 ninja & practice those basics. Ride it for a year. Really learn how to handle a bike @ all speeds. Then upgrade to a 500 or 600. Don't worry too much about how fast you reach 60/80 mph or that your friends may break your balls cause you don't have an R6. But, your better off experienced on a 250, than paralyzed in a wheelchair.

The 250's really don't loose that much value. You should be able to re-coop most if not all of your money invested in a 250. (as long as you don't drop it and the mileage is decent).

good luck & ride safe.

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner
Buy a 600 but just dont push it to the limit and beyond what youre able to handle. As long as you dont do dumb shit on it you should be fine

The only catch with this, is

A) you can make the mistake of pulling back on the throttle
B) can you really fight the urge. Honestly. Its like buying a ferrari and going past 30 mph.

Notoriouswithag

Slow+semi-low
250 ninja just like you said.
You wrote that its your 1st bike, so i'm gonna assume your a total beginner, which is fine. we all need to start somewhere.

My opinion would be to take a safety class & learn the basic principles. Then buy a used 250 ninja & practice those basics. Ride it for a year. Really learn how to handle a bike @ all speeds. Then upgrade to a 500 or 600. Don't worry too much about how fast you reach 60/80 mph or that your friends may break your balls cause you don't have an R6. But, your better off experienced on a 250, than paralyzed in a wheelchair.

The 250's really don't loose that much value. You should be able to re-coop most if not all of your money invested in a 250. (as long as you don't drop it and the mileage is decent).

good luck & ride safe.

Truth. I always advise people, even if its against their will to take a safety class. I took one and it has definatley helped me become a more responsible rider.

As for my first bike I managed to score a 2000 CBR600RR which sounds retarded to most people but within the ~2.5 years ive owned it ive learned some things the hard way, but thats what makes you a better rider. Someday I'd love to pick up another 600.

People have their own "I think this is right method" but do what is suited for YOU and no one else. If you choose to go with a 250 then dont let people bust your nuts cause you cant hang with the 600/1000 guys.

Notoriouswithag

Slow+semi-low

B) can you really fight the urge. Honestly. Its like buying a ferrari and going past 30 mph.

A) I pulled back on the throttle, but it wasnt on purpose[ and it was in a controlled environment]

B) Its really hard to fight the urge but I managed it for most of the time I was riding my 600.

BossDuB27

Illuminati

Very true but it depends it also depends on the person. First time I got on a dirtbike I pulled the throttle back accidentally and lets just say it didnt feel good haha Id hate to do it on a 600 thank god ive never done it yet (knock on wood)

Maseroche

Ready to race!
Suzuki's SV650 is a great first-time bike. Take a motorcycle safety class and get your Operator's license first though.

beauy46

Go Kart Champion
get your motorcycle license first.

I started off with a R6, but a 250cc is nice to start out. The new Ninja 250's actually look pretty sweet. The smaller bikes also have great handling.

Only reason I would recomend the smaller bike is noticing you live in San Diego, dont really need a 10sec 175mph bike to learn on. You can enjoy riding a 250 and in time step up to a larger bike.

http://www.kawasaki.com/PRODUCTS/Detail.aspx?id=263

great mpg also

Find a used 250 Ninja, they're great to learn on and they're everywhere. Get your license, take some instructional courses and in a few months you'll be ready (and want to) to move up to a 600cc. You're the perfect size for riding a 600, btw.

The thing I have against 250s, and they do handle great, but they just don't have the power to make moves on a freeway, so be careful and make sure you're familiar with the bike before you start riding on busier streets.

Most important. Invest in some good gear, gloves, jacket, helmet, boots, full leathers if you're planning on being a lifetime rider. Don't skimp on that kind of stuff. Most of it should last you a long time, much longer than you'll keep a 250.

Ride safe man and have fun:thumbsup:

nikitynick

EurotrashSD Dubber
thanks alot for the advice, i will definetly take the CHP course and tihnk i will start off with the 250. when looking at used bikes, are there any tips on what to look at and look for? i found a good 2003 ninja ex in my area, checked it out yesturday, and looks to be in good visible condition but didnt ride it, just dropped by to take alot.

NinjaNikki

Ready to race!
SV 650 or the Ninja 650. Yes I know they are 650 cc so slightly bigger than a 600 cc but they are less twitchy on the throttle than the super sports. As a newbie you will more than likely have the "death grip" on the throttle and that's where a super sport like a RR may get you into trouble. And please please take a safety course.

NinjaNikki

Ready to race!
The thing I have against 250s, and they do handle great, but they just don't have the power to make moves on a freeway, so be careful and make sure you're familiar with the bike before you start riding on busier streets.

I don't agree a 250 has more than enough power to keep up and make moves on a freeway (i've taken mine up to 180k/hr or 111mph. Where I noticed the "lack of power" is on the 2 lane country roads where one might need to make "quick" accelerations to pass.