GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Group Buy: Apex ARC-8 Wheels

Are you interested in the Apex Wheel group buy?

• Total voters

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
You guys are worrying me. I'm on 245/40 17's on 17 x 8.5 +45 with APR springs and stock shocks. I haven't heard any terrible noises, but I'll have to look.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Is the Golf that much different than the GTI that 265's fit fine on a 18x9 et45 or is it more to do with shocks used, camber, etc.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
What's your rear camber set to?
-1.3. I was convinced something was off and paid for another alignment. Nope, still the same.
im confused... how is a 235 rubbing? Are you really low?
No, just sport springs and I didn’t rub for over a year so not sure. I thought maybe some trip to Home Depot etc. Put red marker on and it rubbed off again so no clue. I attribute it to something on my side and not a wide scale issue, but an FYI if nothing else.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
-1.3. I was convinced something was off and paid for another alignment. Nope, still the same.

No, just sport springs and I didn’t rub for over a year so not sure. I thought maybe some trip to Home Depot etc. Put red marker on and it rubbed off again so no clue. I attribute it to something on my side and not a wide scale issue, but an FYI if nothing else.

Post a photo of the back of your wheel, I'm not convinced your ET is correct.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I’m surprised.

235’s should not be an issue on the rear. Heck 245’s should be an issue.
I’m running -2 degrees all be it at stock ride height.

Weird that you didn’t have an issue before.

So my understanding is that you can adjust camber on the eccentric bolt on the lower rear control arm at the inner bushing. You can also make camber adjustments on the upper camber link. Which also uses an eccentric bolt.

My choice would be to use the lower arm and lengthen it to get the desired camber before shortening the upper arm to gain any additional camber. I’m curious whether your upper control arm has been shortened and it has pulled the wheel in close enough to interfere with the rear strut.

-1.3 is moderate. Do you use the same alignment shop all the time?

Try maxing out the length of the lower arm. Loosen and pull the hub outwards. Lock down the inner bolt. Then use the upper camber link arm and stand the wheel up to your desired camber. This should move the top away front the rear strut a little.

Check for any worn or torn bushings. That would cause your tires to have funky wear patterns.

Reactions: q74

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Heck just scrolled back through the thread and realized Blaqsheep and Hammersticks have similar issues. Different set ups though.

David’s suggestion is good one. 235’s shouldn’t be an issue.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Yep, I will take a picture tomorrow of the rear. And yes, same alignment shop...but the kind of shop that does the minimum required and are jerks to boot. Definitely going some else next time.
Here are my wheels, and edit, where are my manners. thanks for your input guys, I appreciate it. 👍
97A93E00-E371-404B-AE12-6B5010439B89.jpeg

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
Yep, I will take a picture tomorrow of the rear. And yes, same alignment shop...but the kind of shop that does the minimum required and are jerks to boot. Definitely going some else next time.
Here are my wheels, and edit, where are my manners. thanks for your input guys, I appreciate it. 👍
View attachment 173377
Thanks for the validation, not that I don't trust you, but just wanted to verify.

I agree with Mini7's suggestions.

For reference, I can fit 18x9 with 265/35/18 RE71R's and -2.0 of camber.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Heck just scrolled back through the thread and realized Blaqsheep and Hammersticks have similar issues. Different set ups though.

David’s suggestion is good one. 235’s shouldn’t be an issue.
I actually didn't notice the mark on the strut until you pointed it out either. Going to get the wheel off and double check and try and snap a picture with the car level on the ground.

I'm running -1.75 camber in the rear. My track setup has 17x8 +35 with a 235/45 tire in the rear so I don't think the rub came from that, surprised that Hammersticks has that issue with his setup.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the validation, not that I don't trust you, but just wanted to verify.

I agree with Mini7's suggestions.

For reference, I can fit 18x9 with 265/35/18 RE71R's and -2.0 of camber.

You running 265 all the way around? What's the wheels offset? Did you have to do anything special to get them to fit, like roll fenders, trim liners, etc.... I'm planning 265's for autocross next year and 245's for track.

I'm currently running 245/40 17 on 17 x 8.5 +45 and 1.1" lower than stock GTI. I checked yesterday and see no evidence of rubbing. I'm at -1.8 in the rear. Maybe a bad bushing causing these 235 setups to rub?

Last edited:

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
You running 265 all the way around? What's the wheels offset? Did you have to do anything special to get them to fit, like roll fenders, trim liners, etc.... I'm planning 265's for autocross next year and 245's for track.

I'm currently running 245/40 17 on 17 x 8.5 +45 and 1.1" lower than stock GTI. I checked yesterday and see no evidence of rubbing. I'm at -1.8 in the rear. Maybe a bad bushing causing these 235 setups to rub?
Wheels are 18x9 et48 and run 3mm front spacer, and 5 rear.

I'm on stock springs and Koni shocks. -2.0 degrees of camber all around.

The only issue is the passenger rear wheel where it interferes with the gas tank line. With a little creativity you can make it work.

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Wheels are 18x9 et48 and run 3mm front spacer, and 5 rear.

I'm on stock springs and Koni shocks. -2.0 degrees of camber all around.

The only issue is the passenger rear wheel where it interferes with the gas tank line. With a little creativity you can make it work.

David did you notch the saddle strap for the fuel tank. I only got about 3mm of movement in the fuel tank before the strap caught in the valley in the tank. The saddle strap mounting holes need to be elongated.
How you set camber is critical. Max out the length of the lower arm and then use the upper arm to “stand” up the wheel to the desired camber.

You’re still at stock ride height which is important to maintain fender well room and the correct suspension geometry as well as preserve shock stroke. Going to a 17” wheel gives you a little wiggle room but fitment is still determined by overall diameter 25.2” or less.

Do the 265’s poke outside of the fender line?

When looking at slicks. 235’s and 245’s, they have a smaller overall diameter than equivalent road tires. This helps but they have generous tread widths as well.
Anyone here running slicks? Some input would be great.

xXDavidCXx

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE DSG
David did you notch the saddle strap for the fuel tank. I only got about 3mm of movement in the fuel tank before the strap caught in the valley in the tank. The saddle strap mounting holes need to be elongated.
How you set camber is critical. Max out the length of the lower arm and then use the upper arm to “stand” up the wheel to the desired camber.

You’re still at stock ride height which is important to maintain fender well room and the correct suspension geometry as well as preserve shock stroke. Going to a 17” wheel gives you a little wiggle room but fitment is still determined by overall diameter 25.2” or less.

Do the 265’s poke outside of the fender line?

When looking at slicks. 235’s and 245’s, they have a smaller overall diameter than equivalent road tires. This helps but they have generous tread widths as well.
Anyone here running slicks? Some input would be great.
I did not notch the saddle strap, I held the fuel tank line against the chassis.

The 265's do stick out from the fender a bit which you can see clearly in this video

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
I did not notch the saddle strap, I held the fuel tank line against the chassis.

The 265's do stick out from the fender a bit which you can see clearly in this video

When you get a minute, could you please post a few photos of what you did?
Zip Ties?
Nutserts?
That fuel filler pipe and guard has a certain degree of flexibility. Just trying to visualize what your anchor points are. So would appreciate that.

265 RE71 vs 255 MPS4S. Huge difference in tread width. I’m flush with no issues with the outside rear fender. Your wheel is sticking out by 20-25mm at the rear. Your tire comes close but doesn’t appear to contact the rear fender. I’m not sure if running on track would be any worse.......? As long as you stayed off the curbing.

Your front wheel appears flush with the front fender but that may just be the angle. I’d expect the front to be similar to the rear.