GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

orlinst

Passed Driver's Ed
I posted this on another thread and really should have been posted here, this is a copy:

Final update report on my MK8 - Got all the relevant software updates last week (1896 @ VW announced IS update)

All working as expected and described by Massimo 2323, especially those that can be seen (There were 13 modules updated)

1. Nav map in cluster option
  2. Unlock on approach from side now fixed
  3. Comfort lights switch on when approached
  4. Appears to be faster IS operation
  5. Touch / Sliders appear to be disabled when using IS screens
  6. Wireless Android Auto connectivity option - but in my case audio only because my phone is AA version 10 and doesn't fully support wireless connectivity
  7. We Connect and Primary user all good, Internet radio, Shop etc activated and software updates being received OTA - only minor ones so far
  8. Had only one glitch so far, message appeared to "Please reduce oil level - Visit Workshop" which fair play to the garage was fixed within two hours of phonecall - fixed manually and with a software update. (Engine had the same oil since it was serviced last December)
  9. Assured by Technican that all those annoying pop-up error messages should now be in the past :unsure:
  10. As previously noted, one thing I don't like is the word "SYNC" appearing on the passenger side temperature display

If all stays as is I will be very happy at last, time will tell :unsure:: Only downside now is the high price of fuel! Software update not going to fix that! :(
Last night the two updates we're installed successfully. As I am with Discover Pro (originally with SW 1803), most of the functions we're present before the update. As far as I was able to test the Infotainment yesterday, the one thing that is way better is the performance. As to the ambient lightning, the Setup button has disappeared in 1896.

orlinst

Passed Driver's Ed
There was a grayed out setup menu in the ambient light (which in t7 enables dynamic ambient lightning). Now it's gone in the new sw version in Golf.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Massimo 2323 also posted this . . . .

:unsure:
I also had the light effect setting from factory with 1664/6/8 which has been removed with the new software update. I never got it working as it was greyed out too. I never got to test the dynamic background lighting as VW had the car in the workshop for 7 weeks and when I got the car back it was removed from the Shop. But I know that those that bought it last year never got it working properly, only the orange emergency flashing worked. They found out that the software/hardware had bugs in the central electric control unit that manages the background lightning.

tos

Go Kart Newbie
How do you recode it? Cause I think that my upgrade is not working…
https://forum.obdeleven.com/thread/14661/discover-media-view-cluster-simultaneously
Second message

Without coding, you have to turn it on from infotainment map settings

VW sent a message about OTAs:
Translated by google from Finnish to English

Hi Tuomo!

Like your smartphone, your car needs software to work. From time to time, we provide updates to improve the use and comfort of your car and to provide you with new features.

In the past, you had to take your car to a dealer for this. Starting this year, you can implement multiple updates as wireless over the air updates (i.e., over the Internet) anywhere in a good cellular network.

Your golf is currently eligible for an upgrade that will improve your Infotainment system (including screen speed, phone voice and call quality, and AppConnect connection stability) and voice control (e.g., speech recognition and response time).

If you do not want to upgrade, you can discard it in the Infotainment system.
This does not adversely affect the operation of the Infotainment system, but you will also not have access to all the improvements.

In the coming weeks, you will be notified by an Infotainment system that an update is available.

The upgrade will take place in two phases: the first phase will update the software and the second phase will prepare a new language pack.

Once you complete both steps, your car will have up-to-date software and improved voice control. Note that after the first phase of the upgrade, voice guidance will not work and navigation instructions will only be available in selected languages (eg German, English, and French).

The detailed content of the update is presented in each installation window of the Infotainment system.

Installation steps:

To complete the upgrade, perform the following steps twice in a row.

Step 1: DOWNLOAD
When the update is available in your car, you will be notified of the contents of the update in the Infotainment system display. Click Download to download the update. You can drive the car as usual during charging. If charging is not completed when you turn off the car, charging will resume the next time you start the car.

Step 2: INSTALL
When you switch off the car for the first time after charging is complete, a second message will appear on the Infotainment system. Click Start to get started. Do not drive until the installation is complete. This may take about 10 to 30 minutes.

Last edited:

koolmacher

Passed Driver's Ed
I have version 1664 on my MY21 R Line 2 litre TDI in the UK is it due to be upgraded
I would hold off for now, my car is s a 1.5 Tsi style that was on 1664 it's been in the dealers for over a week because the update process failed leaving a fault on my car that the dealers cannot rectify and are awaiting a solution from VW, the dealer says they have other Golfs waiting for the same fix which are also off the road.

Donald

Passed Driver's Ed
I would hold off for now, my car is s a 1.5 Tsi style that was on 1664 it's been in the dealers for over a week because the update process failed leaving a fault on my car that the dealers cannot rectify and are awaiting a solution from VW, the dealer says they have other Golfs waiting for the same fix which are also off the road.
Thanks for this would love to know when your car is on the road again

cycler

There are a number of things that annoy me with the electronics in this car as well as issues with the infotainment system. But there is one issue which drives me crazy. And it happens at least 4 to 5 times a week. sometimes even twice a day. And sometimes it doesnt happen. If this happened to anyone else, or happens often let me know. So when my phones blue tooth and wifi are on ( I turn it off at work along with the wifi to extend battery life and turn the blue tooth back on before getting into the car) I can listen to Pandora, other music apps, Podcasts and Facebook posts that have news or political stuff. Since the location icon isnt turned on I can only use the navigation system the car came with and text messages do not appear on the infotainment system. However if I click the location icon on my phone and click the square Android CarPlay connect icon. Now I can click the Android icon in the menu section and google maps can be used as well text messages appearing which I can listen and respond to. When google maps in on the screen there is a play button to listen to Pandora if Im listening to the radio. And If I want to go back to listening to the radio I press the outer square which takes me to the home screen and I press radio to listen to the radio. I want to listen to Pandora. When I receive a text message, whether listening to the radio or Pandora. I press play message and the message is read to me. Then it asks if I want to reply. I say yes if I want to reply, speak my message, say send and everything is good.

So here is where the infotainment system goes crazy. If Im listening to something on Facebook and a text message come in. Instead of the text message alert icon appearing with who its from and a choice to press play. This weird ggrrrwwwrrrrworworwor demon sound comes on for about 4 to 5 seconds, followed by this screeching sound for 2 seconds. The screeching sound is almost like the way dial up modems sounded back when the internet used phone lines to connect. Once the first demonic sound comes on. The map and text message icon are still on, but as soon as that screeching sound comes on. The screen goes black. The infotainment system is still on with a black silent screen for around 30 seconds. Then the power shuts off. It stays off for maybe 30-45 seconds. And finally reboots itself. Anything like this happen to anyone?

Mk8-pilot

Are we all expected to get these OTA's? I am currently on 1890, do I need to first get 1896 at the dealer and only then the OTA updates? How long does it take to download? If it is using 2G (GPRS) standard network to download, that would take ages. The car is of course 4G capable but am wondering if it is indeed using 4G to download these updates despite the fact if you do not have data packages active?
Wondering the same thing, currently on 1880 here in the U.S and when event I go to the update section nothing pops up. I don’t even see the famous globe of being online either. Not sure what’s going on.

Mk8-pilot

You map in the infotainment section looks so much better than what we have here in the US. Even our google map when connecting to the Android doesnt look as good. Here is what our crap looks like whether its behind the steering wheel or the infotainment system
Agreed we get shafted here in the U.S does York car not show the “ globe “ as being online either ?

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Wondering the same thing, currently on 1880 here in the U.S and when event I go to the update section nothing pops up. I don’t even see the famous globe of being online either. Not sure what’s going on.
Looking at the table included in the TPI for the 1896 Update, your infotainment model and software is not mentioned. I would assume that the software is different for the US market.
IMG_0789.png