GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

OptionalParadox

I'm an owner of a brand new European Golf Mk8 eTSI. It received some OTA updates right after I bought it and now my software version is 1900, ABT software is 3080 and hardware is H61.

I'm seeing some of the users here with newer versions of the software. Is there any benefit to updating from 1900? Should I take it to the dealer or wait for auto-update?

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
When I first bought my Mk8 Golf GTE back in October 2020 it was acknowledged that only very minor software updates could be done over the air (OTA). In fact my car has been back to the dealer at least six times for various software updates.

Am I correct in thinking that more significant software updates to my car can now be done OTA or is this improved capability only available to newer Golfs.

BlackShadow250

I'm an owner of a brand new European Golf Mk8 eTSI. It received some OTA updates right after I bought it and now my software version is 1900, ABT software is 3080 and hardware is H61.

I'm seeing some of the users here with newer versions of the software. Is there any benefit to updating from 1900? Should I take it to the dealer or wait for auto-update?
Software 1900 is the newest official software. So no, you don't have to go to the dealer.

Software 1941 is still unofficial (no TPI) and currently not available for dealers or OTA.
Just wait for the future OTA updates ;)

BlackShadow250

When I first bought my Mk8 Golf GTE back in October 2020 it was acknowledged that only very minor software updates could be done over the air (OTA). In fact my car has been back to the dealer at least six times for various software updates.

Am I correct in thinking that more significant software updates to my car can now be done OTA or is this improved capability only available to newer Golfs.
MIB3 Software - ORU (Online Remote Update):
- 16xx = remote update not possible (only small OTA updates for Shop and OCU)
- 17xx = possible, but not used by VW (1788 --> 1803 test phase for Skoda with many bricked MIB3)
- 18xx = possible, but not much used by VW (1803 --> 1890 and 1896 --> 1899 for some people)
- 19xx = possible... we'll see if for all and not just some people

So yes, newer Golf can receive remote updates if VW distributes them as well.
However, a Golf from 2020 can also be updated to the latest software, so that it receives remote updates... So please check 91CU recall by dealer if you have SW16xx.

Last edited:

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion

if you had the 91CU recall done, so with new software 189x then you have the ability for OTA software updates.
Can I ask if you have the remote lock/unlock service with the weconnect app?

Maturedriver

Go Kart Champion
if you had the 91CU recall done, so with new software 189x then you have the ability for OTA software updates.
Can I ask if you have the remote lock/unlock service with the weconnect app?

My current software is 1896 so presumably I had the 91CU recall done during one of the many software updates done by my dealer.

I don’t appear to be able to lock or unlock my car with my mobile phone using the WeConnect app. But I can blow the hooter and operate the indicators . When the car has been at the dealers to have a service or software updates I have been tempted to blow the horn from home when the fitter has his head under the bonnet but thought better of it!

Idiotwind

Passed Driver's Ed
I tried the update today. It seemed to go smoothly untill it sat at the status update screen for a long time (5-10 mins) with nothing happening. As I started to get concerned it then seemed to finish and rebooted with a software update complete message. However nothing had changed - still on original software (1788). I tried again and this time noticed that it displayed N/A for most modules on the update screen.
I will try another USB stick but don’t think this is the issue - it can clearly read it.
Is my hardware incompatible or my software too old to update on this way?

Grateful for any suggestions!

IMG_1806.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1802.jpeg
    IMG_1802.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 262

Shaun888

I followed the guide - all in the root directory of the USB like the at5ached photo. I will try again with a new USB but it seems to recognise them
It won’t update from 1788 to 1941 you need to be on 18** to then go to 1941. You need to go to your dealer to get them to do that as there will be other modules to update.