GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

Braxton

Passed Driver's Ed
How do you know what the latest software update is? Do VW release a list with all software numbers or is it just your dealer tells you a software update is available when you book it in for a service/Mot etc..
There's a site with firmware for MIB modules and others but I'm not sure people like to give it out. Maybe the mods will get upset

Braxton

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey yall,
Will soon buy a golf 8 because I got a good offer but I have a question.

My family went to the dealership and sent me a few pics and videos of the car (I'm out of the country so that's why they went) and seems like this golf mk8 has a composition media infotainment system, based on the fact that it has two volume knobs on each side of it and a smaller display.

Is composition media outdated and still slow? Is it getting updates? Bad idea getting it in 2023? What would you recommend?

The other question is that I've looked online and it seems reverse cameras are available for the discover model, meanwhile the one im looking to get has reverse cameras with the complsition media system?

Sorry for asking these questions, almost all the media I've seen online about the mk8 is with the discover and discover pro systems.

It's a 1.5 eTSI 150hp automatic mk8 with a sunroof, acquaintance at the dealership managed to save it for me with a good price.
I'm currently driving a 98' Audi a3 1.9 TDI 90hp so it will be quite the upgrade I hope.

Can attach images if needed.
I know this is late, maybe you already brought it. So the lag was fixed in two ways

Starting 2022 in the US and possibly elsewhere they used a new SoC (like CPU,memory, graphic in one) that has more cores and is a bit faster. These units are hardware version H58. For people with the older units they optimized the software and sent out updates. I think you should check out the infotainment in person. I'm sure parts shortages are causing issues and they may still be sending out the old unit.

Braxton

Passed Driver's Ed
Question for everyone. Since the 1941 update came out what is the hesitation by getting the upgrade? Would you ever consider flashing it yourself?

Shortly

Question for everyone. Since the 1941 update came out what is the hesitation by getting the upgrade? Would you ever consider flashing it yourself?
I wouldn't consider flashing my phone with unofficial software, not a chance flashing my £30k+ car.
It runs well, no issues at all, with anything, in just over a year's driving. Best mpg - 69.6mpg on a 50 mile journey.

boskogandor

I know this is late, maybe you already brought it. So the lag was fixed in two ways

Starting 2022 in the US and possibly elsewhere they used a new SoC (like CPU,memory, graphic in one) that has more cores and is a bit faster. These units are hardware version H58. For people with the older units they optimized the software and sent out updates. I think you should check out the infotainment in person. I'm sure parts shortages are causing issues and they may still be sending out the old unit.
Thank you very much for the reply. Ill check it in person then. Best to be safe. Thanks!

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
There is no CPU change or more cores from H56 to H58 or even with H61 apart some components added in the H58/H61 PCB. Thanks to a firmware update applied with the 18xx software update the H56 models have all cpu cores unlocked instead of only half of them that were available with the older firmware. And yes the 189x software was optimised.

Braxton

Passed Driver's Ed
There is no CPU change or more cores from H56 to H58 or even with H61 apart some components added in the H58/H61 PCB. Thanks to a firmware update applied with the 18xx software update the H56 models have all cpu cores unlocked instead of only half of them that were available with the older firmware. And yes the 189x software was optimised.
The 2022 Golf brings some palpable improvements. VW goes as far as to say the car is receiving a facelift this winter courtesy of a new System on Chip (SOC) with 25 percent more computing power and a graphics card with triple the performance of the old version.

Thanks to the new hardware, VW says it will take less than five seconds to show the list of results after typing a destination entry into the navigation system
. The German automaker says it has listened to customers and their problems with MIB3,

https://www.motor1.com/news/555179/2022-vw-golf-infotainment-upgrade/

What two infotainment models are they talking about?

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
with the 189x software on the H56 Mib3 it brings the same improvements as the H58 with 189x software. Friends in Germany who have had their infotainment CU with HW number H56 and SW 189x swapped with the H58 189x CU because of problems like continuous reboots or failing to work report no difference between the two regarding speed and startup. Also now VW talk about the new faster infotainment coming with the Golf 8 restyling and not with the Golf 8 My22. Also there are 2 photos that show that the CPU is the same on the H56 and H58 PCB's. There are other components added with the H58 CU. I was told that if there was a change with the CPU then the part number would also change.

MIB3-H56.pngMIB3-H58.pngH56-1.pngH58-1.png

Braxton

Passed Driver's Ed
with the 189x software on the H56 Mib3 it brings the same improvements as the H58 with 189x software. Friends in Germany who have had their infotainment CU with HW number H56 and SW 189x swapped with the H58 189x CU because of problems like continuous reboots or failing to work report no difference between the two regarding speed and startup. Also now VW talk about the new faster infotainment coming with the Golf 8 restyling and not with the Golf 8 My22. Also there are 2 photos that show that the CPU is the same on the H56 and H58 PCB's. There are other components added with the H58 CU. I was told that if there was a change with the CPU then the part number would also change.

View attachment 288717View attachment 288718View attachment 288721View attachment 288722
How can you tell the cpu is the same without seeing the markings on the chip?

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry Braxton, this is the photo with better quality. The newer processor that VW are talking about is the Samsung exynos and as you can see with this better image of the H58, they are still using Qualcomm. The other thing of notice is the firmware files that are present in the software updates are the same for all infotainment control units except the 166x units where a firmware update brings it in line with the newer models.

Now, this is not to say that I am right. I am putting information together from various sources especially from German Forums and from reputable people in the know like Newty and Meich who also have friends working in Cariad / VW.

Here are some of their quotes:
"As long as only the H letter changes, but not the part number, I don't expect any significant difference. Every hardware change that requires a new type test gets a new hardware revision. The design of an interference suppression coil can change or parts such as resistors can be omitted from the assembly."

and this

User: "Have you ever had the MIB3 Ol with a stronger CPU and stronger GPU in your hands, revised by VW?"
MQB coding & Retrofit: "definitely does not exist."

User: "VW even uses it to advertise internally"
MQB-Coding & Retrofit "means absolutely nothing. The software was so bad that the processor ran on 2 out of 7 cores... Now the potential is being exhausted. The CPU isn't that bad at all. Therefore, a good or bad marketing now after adapting the SW to the HW to say that new hardware was made especially for the customers"

H58-2.png

Reactions: tos

Braxton

Passed Driver's Ed
What is the big difference with the h58 then? The US reviews for the 2022 used a european model and the lag was noticeable however on my 2022 h58 1880 I don't experience any lag except during startup.

CH47AV8R

What is the big difference with the h58 then? The US reviews for the 2022 used a european model and the lag was noticeable however on my 2022 h58 1880 I don't experience any lag except during startup.

Massimo 2323

Drag Racing Champion
Yes the lag was more noticable with the 16xx software and H56 with older firmware because only 2 of the 7 cores of the cpu were been used. Also the 17x/180x software was better but still was on older firmware with H56.
When the 816G/820H came out it came with the H58 hardware and 189x software so all cpu cores were unlocked. I have not come across the 1880 here in europe so it could well be that 1880 is similar to 1890.
So H56 only 2 out of 7 cores working and H58 all cores working.
With special firmware update the H56 gets all cpu cores unlocked just like H58.

Here is a table of the software installed by part number:
IMG_0104.jpeg