GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment Hardware and Software Updates

CH47AV8R

Yes the lag was more noticable with the 16xx software and H56 with older firmware because only 2 of the 7 cores of the cpu were been used. Also the 17x/180x software was better but still was on older firmware with H56.
When the 816G/820H came out it came with the H58 hardware and 189x software so all cpu cores were unlocked. I have not come across the 1880 here in europe so it could well be that 1880 is similar to 1890.
So H56 only 2 out of 7 cores working and H58 all cores working.
With special firmware update the H56 gets all cpu cores unlocked just like H58.

Here is a table of the software installed by part number:
View attachment 288743
5H0 035 877
H56
Is what came in 2022 NAR Golf R in the US.
20230820_145646.jpg

tos

Go Kart Champion
ErWin shows instructions for updating 1941 (Transaction No.: 2070082/1) finally also in Finland

Precautionary measures with software update:
• If necessary support the electrical system with a separate power supply.
• During the software update switch off all unnecessary electric electrical equipment (for example ventilation, seat
heating, interior/exterior lighting and so on).
• Make sure that during the software update no electro-magnetic radiation sources (for example, mobile phones or
cordless phones) are used in or near the vehicle.
• Do not start the engine during the update.
• Do not operate the radio-navigation system during the update.

Customer statement:

Settings:

•​

The background lighting cannot be adjusted in the radio-/ navigation system menu.​
•​

Switching headlights (from/to driving on left/right) in the menu does not work.​
•​

For vehicles with sales programme UK:​
‒​

When using ACC (adaptive cruise control) there is an unexpected delay or unintentional acceleration.​
•​

The driving mode selection cannot be reset.​
•​

AirCare cannot be activated in the air conditioning system menu.​
•​

The sound of PDC (Park Distance Control) rear does not work.​
•​

The set speed warning deactivates itself/switches itself off/does not save.​
•​

The EasyEntry function cannot be deactivated/switched off in the radio-navigation system.​

Screen:

•​

The displays in the car menu are incorrect.​
•​

The of the radio-navigation system display:​
‒​

stays black after switching on.​
‒​

turns black when using Apple CarPlay.​
‒​

is pixelated when using Google Maps via Apple CarPlay.​
•​

The following message appears in the radio-navigation system:​
‒​

"component protection active"
•​

The reversing camera image:​
‒​

is sometimes not shown.​
‒​

is overlapped by pop-ups.​
‒​

sometimes flickers.​
‒​

is shown with a delay.​
•​

The air conditioning menu is incorrectly shown.​
•​

The "welcome screen” cannot be deactivated/switched off.​
•​

The radio-navigation system sometimes switches itself off and on (reset).
•​

The radio-navigation system cannot be switched on.​

Audio:

•​

The sound settings of the radio-navigation system are not saved.​
•​

Playback via Bluetooth keeps breaking off.​
•​

The length of the played track is incorrectly shown during media playback.​
•​

Sometimes:​
‒​

"cracking" can be heard from vehicle speakers.​
‒​

the audio/sound of the radio-navigation system does not work.​
‒​

the audio/sound of the radio-navigation system does not work via Bluetooth.​
‒​

the voice control does not work.​

Navigation:

•​

The vehicle position on the navigation map is incorrectly shown.​
•​

The navigation does not start.​
•​

Favourites are not saved.​
•​

Guidance is not continued after a break.​
•​

The navigation map in the AID (Active Info Display) is shown with poor graphics/incorrectly.​

We Connect (online services):

•​

Applying a main user ("Become main user”) is not possible.​
•​

WebApps and software updates cannot be carried out.​
•​

The We Connect services are not available.​
•​

The Internet Radio does not work.​

Workshop findings:

•​

One or several of the customer statements can be reproduced.​
and/or

•​

The following event entry can be statically logged in the infotainment control unit (diagnosis address 005F):​
‒​

B200045: control unit faulty​
and/or

•​

The following event entry can be sporadically logged in the infotainment control unit (diagnosis address 005F):​
‒​

U138F00: Failure of clock synchronisation​

Last edited:

Braxton

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes the lag was more noticable with the 16xx software and H56 with older firmware because only 2 of the 7 cores of the cpu were been used. Also the 17x/180x software was better but still was on older firmware with H56.
When the 816G/820H came out it came with the H58 hardware and 189x software so all cpu cores were unlocked. I have not come across the 1880 here in europe so it could well be that 1880 is similar to 1890.
So H56 only 2 out of 7 cores working and H58 all cores working.
With special firmware update the H56 gets all cpu cores unlocked just like H58.

Here is a table of the software installed by part number:
View attachment 288743
Thanks, this is what I was trying to understand. I guess the press releases heavily implied there was a new SoC that had more cores. That would even be valid if they unlocked cores in the H58 but what you are saying is that an H56, H58, and H61 all have the same performance as long as you have software past a certain version?

Obviously you may not know but why did VW have 5 cores locked? In the desktop world this is how Intel and AMD sell chips with one or more damaged cores, they just block them off and sell it as a lower model. I've also seen SoC situations where cooling was a problem so cores were disabled. Do you also know if VW rewrote some of the software to be more multi-threaded or add multi-threaded code where it was just single threaded?

Braxton

Passed Driver's Ed
I installed 1941 and it didn't fix any of the Android Auto issues. It feels a tad more responsive from 1880 but not enough to be worth the risk.

satel

Passed Driver's Ed
I installed 1941 and it didn't fix any of the Android Auto issues. It feels a tad more responsive from 1880 but not enough to be worth the risk.
What is your problem with Android auto?
I still have the old SW 1668 and I have no problem with Carplay and Android Auto. Next week I have an appointment with the dealer to recall that they are upgrading all module units because it is free.

Braxton

Passed Driver's Ed
What is your problem with Android auto?
I still have the old SW 1668 and I have no problem with Carplay and Android Auto. Next week I have an appointment with the dealer to recall that they are upgrading all module units because it is free.
One of two problems
1. Google maps freezes so you can't scroll, zoom or enter addresses. The quick app buttons do work though. I can unfreeze it by switching to any other app then back to Google maps.

2. The quick app buttons freeze. In this case the map works great I just can't change the view or go to any other apps. The audio app that was playing continue to work fine and I can even skip tracks if I use the VW audio menu. To fix this I have to either wait 10+mins or using the phone go to Google maps, then Spotify or an audio app. Basically unlocking the phone then using it seems to unfreeze Android Auto

This only happens using the new Coolwalk interface that is being rolled out depending on the phone and car. The image below (not mine) shows the interface, it allows multiple apps to appear at once. The "quick app buttons" are the set of four horizontal buttons on the far right of the image.

1693349899831.png

I've tried the following to fix it.
1. Beta versions of Android Auto
2. Turning off battery optimization for Google Maps, Android Auto, Spotify etc
3. Enabled high performance CPU mode on my Galaxy S23+
4. Allowing all permissions on Google Maps
5. Turning off the Samsung always on display (someone on reddit recommended it)
6. Updated infotainment to 1941

Last edited:

tos

Go Kart Champion
It is your Samsung problem; I have an old sony Xperia 5 II and coowalk works fine with 1941

Shortly

No problems at all with H58 and 1896, either with Android Auto (wired or wireless) or in fact any aspect of the rest of the car.

satel

Passed Driver's Ed
No problems at all with H58 and 1896, either with Android Auto (wired or wireless) or in fact any aspect of the rest of the car.
How can android car work wirelessly?
did i miss something?
I know that CarPlay can work without a cable