GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Infotainment system rebooting

Chriz1

Passed Driver's Ed
Believe its what new golf's come with it's genuine vw software my infotainment has been faultless

LMWT

Go Kart Newbie
This time next year I’ll be starting to think about replacing my current car which will be coming up to four years old at that time and my research into its replacement will begin. Will that replacement be another VW?; there’s a good chance it won’t be, and I’ve been loyal to the VW brand for almost 21 years.

The software and hardware in my current car (2020 Polo GTI+) is from the generation before the software / hardware used in the mk8 Golf, and apart from a minor hiccup in the first few months of ownership that has never repeated itself (trip recorder zero’d itself and the clock changed to some random time), it’s been faultless. I think I’d have big regrets if I got rid of a trouble free car and replaced it with one afflicted by bugs and gremlins. Hopefully software version 1941 is the fix that Golf owners have been waiting for and software bugs and gremlins will be a thing of the past 🤞.

I know other car manufacturers will also have some software and hardware issues and I may find after researching that what we hear of VW’s - and the wider VAG‘s - issues is the norm in the industry (hopefully not!). If it is, then maybe I’ll just hang on to my current car and buy a good aftermarket warranty to pay for any unforeseen potentially large repair costs - e.g. DSG issues, infotainment unit failure, digital dash display failure, leaking thermostat housing / water pump failure (a fairly common issue on VW’s 2.0 EA888 engine, and my car has that engine).
Dare I say it, but hopefully the face lifted Mk8 will have improved software and a new Infotainment System etc - would you be tempted? I'm due to change mine next year and as it may be the last Golf with an ICE, I might be! subject to a lot of scrutiny, reports and reviews etc :unsure:

Zoinks

Dare I say it, but hopefully the face lifted Mk8 will have improved software and a new Infotainment System etc - would you be tempted? I'm due to change mine next year and as it may be the last Golf with an ICE, I might be! subject to a lot of scrutiny, reports and reviews etc :unsure:
I would normally be changing my 2020 golf 8 in the next year, but the number of continuing issues I’ve had, has really dented my faith in VW. it’s had the infortainment back-end replaced, the steering wheel replaced, but still I get the random crashes on the infotainment system, plus failures of the assist systems and of the ACC. If they can’t provide me with a stable system after 3 years, I shall be very nervous of buying another vw. (the Golf 8 is my 6th golf)

Zoinks

Well the golf’s just back from the garage and they are going to change the compute module again (5F). It’s on back order from VW in Germany, they say there are none in the UK.
These are all the issues I experienced on just one journey last week.
1. The infotainment system crashes and reboots. At the same time, I get error messages that the assist systems are unavailable. I have to stop and start the car to restore those.
2. ACC prediction not available message - again only cleared by stopping and restarting the car.
3. ACC becomes unusable as it will constantly switch between two speeds: for example, in a 70-mph zone, every 1-2 seconds, it will change to 44 mph then back again to 70 a few seconds later. Even if I am not using ACC, this effects the speedometer display as it is constantly having to redraw the dial with the mark for the current speed. Once this starts happening the only way to stop it is to stop the car and leave it switched off for a long period, say at least 30 minutes it seems. One observation is if you look at the two speeds it fluctuates between it seems they are exactly what you get if you were to convert the numbers from miles to kilometres. So it’s taking 70 mph, then treating it as kph and converting that to mph. For each speed it fluctuates as following:
· 70 & 44 mph
· 60 & 38 mph
· 50 & 31 mph
· 40 & 24 mph
· 30 & 18 mph
4. Speed limit detection often wrong, with or without ACC being used. I raised this error last time, but you were unable to resolve it. This happens in many locations and is usually repeatable at those location. The worst is when it mistakes 30 mph for 80 mph. driving down the M1 on Saturday, at one point it decided the speed limit was 10mph

Sergio MV

Passed Driver's Ed
I fix it with new software
IMG_2487.jpeg

Zoinks

They replaced my unit last week. I’ve not really done enough miles yet to see if all the problems are solved. The one where it get the current speed limit seems as broken as ever. It did a software update shortly they installed it‘s but not suggesting any further updates now.

Attachments

• IMG_0532.jpeg
    IMG_0532.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 140

bucky208

Same here, every 3 drives a complete reboot. My first vw car, never thought the software would be that bad...