GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

just clipped someones car

latenite

Conan O'Brien
as shitty as i feel right now not having the money to pay for it, i wouldnt be able to sleep at night if i hit it and quit it

Doctor7474

Ready to race!
If its through the clear or you can catch your finger nail on it, its not going to buff out.

Also no shop is going to touch it with out some repair time involved, because if they just sand and spray its going to leave a low spot, they will have to sand, mud, prime, paint.

You're looking at about 1.0 repair time (usually in the 40-50$ per hour range), then full refinish time on the quarter. It appears to be in an area that they will be able to blend within the panel, you want them to do this so they don't have to blend adjacent panels which is more money. So figure 4.0 hours or so to refinish within the panel (prime, blend the color coat in the panel, then clear the whole panel). So you are somewhere around 5 hours to repair and refinish the panel. You will probably have to drop that side of the rear bumper cover, remove any moldings, possible remove the quarter or rear glass depending on if they can tape it off or not ect.... so the cost can go way up. I'd figure say 0.5 just for the dropping of the bumper cover, then probably a half hour each on moldings if there are any, also possibly remove the fender liner too if it can't be taped off.

So at bare minimum 6 hours or so, at 40-50$ per hour so look at 300$ at least not including if glass has to be removed, I did this with PenPro (insurance body repair estimating system). Look at probably close to double if glass has to be removed for the clearing of the panel. I'm an auto damage appraiser for a very well known insurance company, so remember these are at insurance prices, its more for customer pay which you would fall under.

kev24k

Go Kart Champion
Ever see those commercials where someone sees someone else doing a good deed, and then later in the day does something nice for someone else? And then its a chain reaction. Influence someone positively, and they will do the same to someone else? Well the opposite applies to. I would have just left (dick move i know) because earlier in the day someone farted in the elevator I was in.

latenite

Conan O'Brien
If its through the clear or you can catch your finger nail on it, its not going to buff out.

Also no shop is going to touch it with out some repair time involved, because if they just sand and spray its going to leave a low spot, they will have to sand, mud, prime, paint.

You're looking at about 1.0 repair time (usually in the 40-50$ per hour range), then full refinish time on the quarter. It appears to be in an area that they will be able to blend within the panel, you want them to do this so they don't have to blend adjacent panels which is more money. So figure 4.0 hours or so to refinish within the panel (prime, blend the color coat in the panel, then clear the whole panel). So you are somewhere around 5 hours to repair and refinish the panel. You will probably have to drop that side of the rear bumper cover, remove any moldings, possible remove the quarter or rear glass depending on if they can tape it off or not ect.... so the cost can go way up. I'd figure say 0.5 just for the dropping of the bumper cover, then probably a half hour each on moldings if there are any, also possibly remove the fender liner too if it can't be taped off.

So at bare minimum 6 hours or so, at 40-50$ per hour so look at 300$ at least not including if glass has to be removed, I did this with PenPro (insurance body repair estimating system). Look at probably close to double if glass has to be removed for the clearing of the panel. I'm an auto damage appraiser for a very well known insurance company, so remember these are at insurance prices, its more for customer pay which you would fall under.

this is the type of answer i was looking for. well the owner called me today, seemed like a nice person. the owner is going to see how much it will cost to get it "buffed out or repainted, whatever needs to be done to fix it", then call me back. i really hope its under 200

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner

latenite

Conan O'Brien
the way i see it is, Im the prick that clipped his car, and even if he is high-balling me, he still has to go through the trouble of getting his car fixed, he loses his car for a good amount of the day, and when it is fixed it wont be good as new.

but if you guys really think the price is too high i can negotiate with him. i have no clue what it will cost, i am going by what he told me the estimation was. i asked him to have the body shop bill me, but he said he would rather take the cash and get it done. sounds kinda fishy but i am one of those people that still believe there is still good in the world

Bad hare

Ex-mkv owner
don't just give him cash, get two different quotes on a repair price, then pay the repair shop, and get a receipt just in case :thumbsup:

YES!

the way i see it is, Im the prick that clipped his car,

Your not a prick for hitting his car. ACCIDENTS are called ACCIDENTS because they are ACCIDENTS. People make them. & you took the high road and admitted fault.

and even if he is high-balling me, he still has to go through the trouble of getting his car fixed, he loses his car for a good amount of the day, and when it is fixed it wont be good as new.

Sorry to be so blunt, but who cares? Are you his mother? Are you going to wipe his ass or hand feed him?

NOT YOUR PROBLEM!!!!

- OP sounds like your a VERY nice guy. But, don't let this guy step all over you. Stand up for yourself. (granted were not talking about a lot of money, but you can learn from this)